Shessar's Battlemap Competition - Discussion

Comments

• Yeah, that long ago. Wasn't it google groups ? Or yahoo groups ?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2016
    Posted By: LadieStormI meant here in the forums, silly!!!!
    Yea, it is probably the first map I have posted in the forums. I am really not much of the sharing type, besides quite a lot of my maps are made for the manual/tome so I prefer keeping them there.
    Posted By: JimPYeah, that long ago. Wasn't it google groups ? Or yahoo groups ?
    Yahoo groups. Google group wasn't a thing back then. I don't know if Google itself was a thing even, I don't think so.
    So Jim, you love making maps. You've posted quite a few interesting maps to the forum over the years, but I can't remember having seen battle maps. Why not give this competition a go? You still have a few days.
  • Well, I have a patron license and entering would mean a coupon I couldn't use. I have a difficulty making small maps. They typically don't look good.
    edited September 2016
    Posted By: DogtagI toyed with the idea of mixing modern & fantasy for the contest, myself.
    I originally wanted to mix Sci-Fi and fantasy, but then I remembered that Cos 3 isn't out for CC3+ yet, and I wouldn't want to burden poor Shessar with detailed instructions on how to view my map (At least the rules as written allows for a manual conversion of content from CC3, and all sorts of weird configuration shenanigans as long as everything is official ProFantasy, although I don't believe that is Shessar's intention)
    But that makes me curious on what you DO end up submitting to the competition. (I assume you will take part of course, no isn't really an acceptable answer here :) )
    Posted By: JimPWell, I have a patron license and entering would mean a coupon I couldn't use.
    You shouldn't let that stop you. Participation is all about the fun of competing, not the prize. You could probably find someone to give it to. The fun part is challenging oneself a little every now and then :)
  • @All, Thank you all for the kind words, and a few of you for your help with the application...especially the vanishing sheets, LOL

And yes those are mountains. Since I am new to this I decided to be creative as I explored how to use this great tool.

It was fun building it and Sue was kind enough to help me get it exported and loaded to the forum.

Great entries everyone!

Bill
  • My biggest mapping challenge is getting my maps onto paper or CC2/CC3/CC3+... mostly I'm not sucessful.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2016
    Posted By: Shessar-You may use any ProFantasy Symbols or Fills from any add-on or annual.
    @Shessar. Just to be clear, can we use any ProFantasy add-on to make the map, besides symbols and fills? That is, are CD, DD, PER, and COS all fair game, so long as the map is 150'x80' ?

I'm... asking for a friend. :-''
  • edited September 2016
    @Dogtag: Sorry for not being as clear as I could be. Yes, you may use any ProFantasy Product/Addon to create the map. As Monsen hinted, it would of course be easiest if you used either CC3 or CC3+ and not symbols from both in the same map. I will, however, make changes to my setup if necessary. :)

@JimP: I'll be sad if you don't enter. :_(
  • I cannot squeeze it into my day. Sorry.
  • My usual boring map. Yours are far better.
  • Thank you Jim! :-D
    You are always here on the forums, contributing to the discussions and adding some of the few SciFi maps that we get to see here - I meant it when I said that I would be sad if you didn't celebrate with us.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Where maps are concerned no one is really better or worse - just different in style :)
  • Besides, Jim, you are doing totally different types of maps from us....yours are sci-fi futuristic, where as ours are more fantasy dark ages types... It's like comparing apples to oranges.
  • Really loving the variety and the color/lighting of a lot of the entries!!
    Glad to see you decided to join in Jim. Not often I see battle maps with hexes, but maybe I should start using them more. They do have interesting properties when it comes to movement (Like avoiding the issue about diagonals on square grids). I know I did add a hex grid to a floorplan map in the Tome, but I haven't been using them much myself.

I hope you players carry ranged weapons, because I would totally ambush them with archers (or even spellcasters) from the top of that tower in the pond.
    What about zapping from a distance with magic?
  • Well, I fell asleep and just got back here.

Someone said, its attributed to more than one author, 'Any sufficiently advanced technology looks like magic.'.
  • We used hexes for most things for a long time. Honestly, I think it was 3rd Edition D&D that moved us towards using a square grid. 1st Edition had rules for both.
    I am using 2nd edition, so in many ways, I should really be using hexes, since the combat rules clearly specify that 6 (medium sized) opponents can surround one defender, which matches hexes perfectly, but not the rectangular grid. The facing diagram in 2nd edition is a bit more general though, and doesn't show a grid of any type, grids aren't really an issue in the rules at all in 2nd ed. Hexes are more difficult with the sizes of many spells though.
    edited September 2016
    Shessar clarified:@Dogtag: Sorry for not being as clear as I could be. Yes, you may use any ProFantasy Product/Addon to create the map.
    I presumed as much; I was just double-checking. Thank you.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • You are quite welcome Dogtag!

@Monsen: We've used grids for combat long enough to have minis that accommodate either style of grid. We really are dorks! LOL!
    Nice :)

I gave up on miniature lots of lots of years ago, partly because I hate painting the things, and partly because there were never room for them on the table. Ending up writing my own virtual battle map software instead, and had it hooked up to display on the TV. Nowadays, I've switched to MapTool, and use a remote computer connected to a projector to display it. (It's a regular face-to-face game btw)

So, how does writing your own software because you don't like to paint miniatures rate on the dorkiness scale? ;) [My dictionary suggest that dorkiness is not a word, and suggest replacing it with kinkiness instead]
  • Hey! We aren't dorks!!!! We're geeks!!! Let's get it right, people! Hail to the geek!
    edited September 2016
    Well, some are dorks, too. And personally, I don't know how or when "geek" became the preferred word over "nerd." Personally, I still feel "nerd" has a better connotation than "geek," (as far as it could, at any rate, given both words) but that doesn't seem to be how the lexicographers have interpreted it.
  • Have you ever seen the movie The Gamers: Dorkness Rising? (Warning, link goes to a YouTube full length movie). Funny stuff. Watch at least the first 5 minutes to get a feel for the humor. :D

My definitions:

Geek = Totally focused on one aspect of life. Entire life and conversation centers around that one thing, and only that one thing. i.e. Gamer geek, computer geek, Star Trek geek, etc

Nerd = The really smart person who knows a lot about everything but is too afraid of people to ever really talk to you about what he knows. i.e. The guy in the next office that has three PhDs but looks shocked when you say good morning to him.

Dork = Combination of the above two. Smart person who loves ALL of the things that the geek loves and will jump into any conversation on any related topic but looks lost when the discussion moves to things that normals enjoy, like cars or sports.

Normals - The ones who look at you and say "You need to get a real life".

:D
    ROFL! that's just so funny... and so, SO true!!!
    Well, no matter how you spin it, typically geeks, nerds, and dorks alike will understand and laugh at my t-shirts. Other people will not. That's one reason to love GenCon. It's filled with people who will recognize/understand/get your t-shirt and you can go the entire weekend without having to explain it.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited September 2016
    Other games always used hex maps, like The Fantasy Trip. Which in later years became GURPS.

Everyone I saw playing Tunnels and Trolls back in the 1980s also used hex maps. My original Crestar maps are around 200 to 300 5mm hex paper maps.

I was always told the ones who don't understand gamers are mundanes. But there were no conventions, or money to attend one, until after I had graduated high school and spent 6 years in the US Navy.