Shessar's Battlemap Competition - Discussion

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thanks Dogtag :D

Are you going to do one?
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2016
    I dunno. We'll see. I'd like to but I don't know if I'll have time and I'm a notoriously slow mapper. I've had the PF suite of tools since the nineties but only made about a half- to a dozen maps that I've actually used. And most of THOSE were unfinished.
  • Posted By: LoopysueThanks Storm :D

Its just a couple of lights... you know? Couldn't have done it without Remy's instructions earlier (I didn't even know how to make them work before), and also Dogtag, who provided a couple of links to the work of a real artist... who's name I've temporarily forgotten, but I'll be back with an edit for you...

3 seconds...

http://rpgmaps.profantasy.com/?p=2669

(Sorry Dogtag - can never remember the syntax for making proper links)
    Here ya go: link posted by Sue above
    Thanks Jim.

I should have said what Dogtag did when he originally posted that link - that you have to scroll down the page it takes you to till you find the three remaining examples of Lightcaster's work.

I emulated the magic circle by using the same symbol in my map, but even though I used a non-lighting trick to enhance the power of the lights at the five corners of the pentacle within CC3+, I couldn't quite get the same effect.

I really think that at least some of the power of that glow he's got there must surely have been down to a bit of post processing done in Corel Photopaint, which he mentions in the thread these images came from. While this is a perfectly acceptable thing to do as a general rule, its not permitted in this competition ;)
    Thank you Charles for the compliment you left on the other thread :D

I hope you see this little message here :)
  • Thanks to both ArgoForg and Sue for entering!

There are still ten days left - plenty of time to make a small battlemap, if you haven't yet. :-)
    Thanks Shessar :)

I enjoyed making my map - doing something I'd never done before - two things - a battle map and playing with the lighting effects :D

35 years is your Coral anniversary - I'm sure that someone will do an underwater coral map... won't they?

I wish I had thought of it sooner - all those lovely blue-green lights I could have used, with red, green and yellow ones on the coral banks!!! :sigh: oh well...

Or I could have done a coral island with coral reefs using some of the techniques I developed in Merelan City with transparent water...

Or I could have done a cave in a coral island...

Or simply made a map of anything done entirely in the colours of a coral reef

All kinds of possibilities, but my entry is done now, so its up to the rest of you :)
  • I'm glad you had fun with it Sue! After all, that was our intention - have fun making a map, then have more fun when money is won so that you can make more maps. :D

An underwater battlemap - rings of water breathing required. LOL! It would be pretty with the lights though.
    Underwater breathing and a battle... Hmmmn. Touches of Harry Potter there, I think ;)
    edited September 2016
    This is for anyone wanting to mess around with complimentary colours, as described by Jay_Nola over on the competition thread, and used in my own competition entry map.

Colours on opposite sides of the wheel are complimentary to each other, so you don't have to use orange and blue. You can use any colour you like, and then choose for yourself whether to use its complimentary in smaller amounts in the same composition. If you decide to go ahead with designing in complimentary colours its best to use a grossly unbalanced proportion of them - one colour extensive and possibly relatively dull, with a single bright point of the complimentary... or equal areas of both colours, but one of them extremely pale/dark and/or grey in comparison to the other... There are tons of variations :)

Colour theory is itself a lot more complicated than just this note, but this is the single most important thing to remember of all those millions of facts hidden away in my head from art school - the colour wheel itself and the relationship between any two colours that are on opposite sides of the wheel ;)
    As a footnote to above a triadic colour scheme (more commonly used in art and design than a complimentary pair), is one that consists of the principle colour (for example Red), and the two colours either side of its complimentary (in the case of Red this would be Blue-Violet and Blue-Green).
  • I have two color wheels, but thanks for posting that. One of the wheels goes into triadacs along with complimentary colors.
    edited September 2016
    And there must be literally thousands online ;)

Colour theory is immensely complicated if you dive into the full depths of the matter, but even though I've been all the way there and back at art school, I usually find the basics are enough for anyone to be able to recognise, analyse and learn useful new techniques of colour composition from other people's art ;)

EDIT: PS - There aren't (and never should be) any 'rules' about how you should or should not use colour. The wheel and its facts are here merely to explain Jay-NOLA's reference to complimentary colours on the competition thread ;)
  • Thanks for starting the thread.

They have no "rules" about using a colors but some common trends do exist in using coloration that it is good to be aware of.

I did mention the overuse of orange and doesn't look good. Using certain other colors is also common for certain genres as well.

See these links if you want to know more about the orange and teal (blue) thing. the last link, the Cracked article, covers also that certain genres of film tend to use a certain coloration.

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

https://priceonomics.com/why-every-movie-looks-sort-of-orange-and-blue/

http://www.cracked.com/article_18664_5-annoying-trends-that-make-every-movie-look-same.html

Just remember no rules exist on what color to use, but do be aware that certain colors tend to get over used and used mostly in other genres. In some cases the colors work and in others they don't.

Excessive use of coloration of certain colors can also have some pleasant or unpleasant effect. I remember a few years back watching a new Doctor Who episode and getting a very bad headache because of the lighting, recoloring etc. was of a color that can cause headaches.

I went to a biofeedback training/conference a few years back and photic driving, using light to induce the brain to make certain brain waves by flickering them at a certain rate, was what was being discussed and creating colors tend to work better depending on what type of brain wave you were trying to make and that certain colors had been demonstrated in some studies to produce certain effects on people, by the researchers doing the presentation.

So also remember colors can have a psychology/physiological effect on a person.

Finally, since we are talking about colors also note that certain colors have different associations with them in different cultures that can be used depending on what you are doing.

For example:
    Wedding are associated with white in the west, but in China they are red.
    Black is ussualy associated with death in western cultures, but in eastern ones white is the color of death.
    That's an excellent first battle map, Bill :D
  • Thanks for entering Bill and good luck!
  • That's a great map Bill. Using.... what are they mountain symbols on their sides?? as the edges of a rocky cliff face or drop off. Genius!! I may have to steal that idea. Great sense of depth, well done.
    Oh WOW, Remy!!!!

That makes my debatable orange and blue lights a bit passé, really. LOL!!!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2016
    @Loopysue. Your orange and blue lights are debatable?

@Monsen. LOL. I toyed with the idea of mixing modern & fantasy for the contest, myself. Nicely done. The lighting makes it all the more eerie (and a little infernal).
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Well, I figured I'd have to post a map to the forums sooner or later (I've been here since the forum was created, more than 8 years ago), so this was as good as an opportunity as any :)
    @ Dogtag. Blue and orange really is a bit simple and obvious. I should have been a bit more original with the colours, but as it was I was just pleased as punch with myself - my first fully operational lighting setup :) I learned quite a lot about it in the process - like how it doesn't work with bevels!

...Unless, of course, you know a way?
    @ Remy. Methinks you have been practicing in the meantime! LOL
  • Posted By: MonsenWell, I figured I'd have to post a map to the forums sooner or later (I've been here since the forum was created, more than 8 years ago), so this was as good as an opportunity as any :)
    My how time flies. I knew it had been a long while, but not that long.
    edited September 2016
    Posted By: JimPMy how time flies. I knew it had been a long while, but not that long.
    You registered the same day as me, March 6th 2008. But of course, the mailing list was home long before that.
  • Remy, Bill, fantastic entries!!!

Bill, I live your big, deep, dark scary hole! So I'm not the only one that will use one symbol to create something else... improvisation is the key to creativity!

Remy, I believe this is the first map of yours ive ever seen...you've been holding out on us!!! I expect to see more of yours in the future! I love the lighting, and the modern flair!!!
    edited September 2016
    Posted By: LadieStormRemy, I believe this is the first map of yours ive ever seen.
    Nope, that is simply not true. I know you have seen both the manual and the Tome. Almost all the tutorial maps there are mine.
  • I meant here in the forums, silly!!!! And your maps in the Tome (that I've seen so far) are basic when compared to this!!! No offence meant, you know what I mean! Lol