Shessar's Battlemap Competition - Discussion

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2016
    Posted By: MappyTo get the impression of difference in height for the two levels, is it possible to increase the scale of a bitmap floor fill (Stone Paving Grey_SS4) so the larger scaled floor appears higher than the other in such a way that when Shessar goes to open the map she will be able to see this?

If I'm mapping just for myself I normally just make a new bitmap using the Stone Paving Grey_SS4 fill and give it another name then rescale, but I assume if I did that, Shessar would just see the red X's for the renamed, scaled fill?
    Simply define two fill styles in your map, but use the same image file for both (Make a copy of an exiting definition). Then just manipulate the 'Scaled' setting for one of them. This way, you don't need to manipulate the image files themselves, but it will still provide the same fill at two different scales.
  • Well, then there's that...but Remy, if he did that, and then sent the fcw to me... wouldn't that cause a big red x where the alternate scaled bit.map is? Because I wouldn't have the renamed fill? That won't work for Shessar's competition...
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2016
    Posted By: LadieStormWell, then there's that...but Remy, if he did that, and then sent the fcw to me... wouldn't that cause a big red x where the alternate scaled bit.map is? Because I wouldn't have the renamed fill? That won't work for Shessar's competition...
    No, because fills are defined in the map file. As long as you don't touch the files on disk, you'll be fine. Check out the attached dungeon map (Required DD3). Both rooms uses the exact same bitmap, but I've defined two fill style definitions for it at different scales.
  • That is good to k is then! I will be sure to check it out when my laptop is online again. :)
  • Awesome! Thanks Monsen and Ladiestorm. I think that's my current technique when I have to rescale bitmaps, but it's great to know that renaming and rescaling will work for other people when they go to open my FCW's.
  • Well, since I have a similar idea for my own map...its good to know these things!!!
  • Hey, Shessar... here's a question no one has brought up yet. Would there be a problem to posting a WIP of our entry in the show and tell thread? Or would you prefer unseen until complete?
  • Posted By: LadieStormHey, Shessar... here's a question no one has brought up yet. Would there be a problem to posting a WIP of our entry in the show and tell thread? Or would you prefer unseen until complete?
    Sorry LadieStorm, the rules specifically state: --Entry: The map must be created solely for this competition. It must not have been posted or shared anywhere prior.

I can't wait to see what you come up with though. In fact, a couple of the judges can't wait until everyone starts posting their maps.
  • Wow...I completely flooded right over that! That makes sense, though...that way it is completely our own work without outside influences. Got it ;) and no worries. I've already started mine.
  • edited September 2016
    Mine is submitted.

I doubt that I will place in the top three.

This is my first battle map ever.

It was fun to create though! ;-)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    If that's your first, I'd say you've been hiding secret talents under your cap :)
  • edited September 2016
    Posted By: LoopysueIf that's your first, I'd say you've been hiding secret talents under your cap :)
    Thanks Loopysue!

I learned a lot from experimenting with CC3+ and then added some more skill sets getting CA3+ looking good.

In addition, I used bitmaps and symbols from all of the sets in my work, so I have a good handle on what my resources are.

Nothing really special. ;-)
  • Thanks for your submission CWR! Good luck to you!
  • I just thought of a question...and I think this is one for Ralf. Let's say for a moment, that the one who wins the first place, and the $50 voucher, is so.eone who doesn't have all of the products, and wants to use them voucher for fractal terrains, or CA3? Are the you hers one time use? Meaning that if we don't spend the whole thing at once, can we put the balance to so.ething else?
  • That's a good question LadieStorm and indeed one for Ralf. I believe he is away until next week so I'll make a point of asking him when he returns.
  • Ello. Shessar, when it comes to judging, how will you be viewing the maps? Depending on how you save a map, some of the effects change, particularly the glows. For example if I print to 720dpi PDF or save a rectangular JPG at Height 5000 Width 3000, the glow on my grid has a different intensity.

No worries to me how you print/save the map for judging, if you can let us know then I'll tinker with the effect settings so they look their best for how you will be viewing the map.

Map is nearly there. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else has made. It's a great idea this competition, it makes us all step up and produce our best work.

Cheers
    Mike.
  • Heya Mappy,

As stated in the Competition rules:

--A .png of the map must be posted to this thread (meaning the actual competition thread). Please keep the width of the map within the margins of the forum.
    --The map file (.FCW) must also be posted as a whisper to me (Shessar) to this thread (meaning the actual competition thread). It will be used for viewing by the judges.

So, the png is just to mark your place among the entries on the forum. The judges will be viewing the actual fcw on a 42 inch screen. This way we can zoom in, look at effects, sheets and layers, make sure that only ProFantasy symbols are being used, etc.

I'm glad you're having fun with this Mappy. For us it is a way to celebrate, but instead of buying everyone beer and pizza for a party, we're buying them mapping software. :D
  • Cool, thank you. FCW it is. I was just wondering if you yourself might save/print our FCW's as jpg's or PDF for judging because if your PC is anything like mine, it's a bit quicker to zoom and pan around a jpg or pdf rather than the FCW.

I shall drink beer and eat pizza in honour of your 35th anniversary!
  • Well, my map is posted. And I can't believe I managed to finish mine before Lorelei! Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it. Happy Anniversary!!!
  • Btw... now that I have posted my entry here... can I posted it at other sites? It was posted here first :D
  • Thanks for joining our celebration LadieStorm! Good luck to you!

We ask that you not post the maps anywhere until the competition is over. This will prevent any accusations of not following the rules. Trust me that any time monetary prizes are involved there is the potential for people to raise a fuss. I would hate to have to disqualify maps because of it.

However, once the competition is over and the maps are being judged we'll open up the thread for comments and you'll be free to post them where you wish.
  • Understood, and not a problem :) I thought there was a possibility it would be like that... that's why I asked :D
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Excellent entries - Storm, and Mappy - both of you :)
  • Fantastic job Happy! Someday soon you are going to have to tell me how you .managed those rounded corners!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2016
    I'm trying to hold my comments and questions about the entries until everyone's posted their maps, but with just three done so far, and only 1/3 of the way through, it's already proving very difficult to do so! I'll just say this for now: Great job so far, everyone. Some really nice maps. You're not making it easy for Shessar and her group, that's for sure!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2016
    LadieStorm asked:...uhm were we supposed to?
    Supposed to what, hold comments? Not as far as I know.
  • edited September 2016
    Posted By: LadieStormFantastic job Happy! Someday soon you are going to have to tell me how you .managed those rounded corners!
    Your waterfall is awesome. Really looks like it curves out off the edge of the cliff. Nice work indeed.

I tend to make all my walls etc (anything that is not a symbol really) using the line tool then select the lines and turn them into a single Multipoly. That way you can get all creative with different shaped walls. To put a curve on a corner, right click the trim button (button on the bottom of the left most toolbar) and choose the FIllet & Trim option. Then you select the two lines that meet at the corner, check the command line on bottom of screen after selecting both lines, you can change the size of the fillet, then right click and you are done. The rounded corner becomes a separate entity so you now have the two lines joined by a rounded corner.

Not sure if you have dabbled much with Multipolys, they can be a tricky beast. Happy to explain further if needed.
  • I might ask you to, I am notorious for asking for tutorials!

As for my waterfall, it's just a variation of Shessar's streams with She's splash technique :). I'm also notorious for taking other people's discoveries and adapting them for what I need. ;)