Shessar's Battlemap Competition - Discussion

DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
This is a discussion thread for Shessar's Battlemap Competition.
First, I'd like to say "thank you" to Shessar. What a neat idea! And it's awesome that you and your group are offering such generous prizes. An additional thanks to ProFantasy for pitching in with their own generous incentive! I hope I have the opportunity to enter the contest myself, but Time is not my friend, so we'll see. Regardless, it's a great idea and a generous offer to us all.

Second... thirty-five years?! Wow! I've been playing for just under 40 years, myself (December '79), but my group has "only" been together for 20! I thought we were together for a long time. Wow, again! Hat's off to a long and successful time together, Shessar. Brava! *doffs cap*

Cheers,
~Dogtag

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I have to echo Dogtags sentiments here. And similarily wow on that 35 years. I met one of the members of my group just over 35 years ago, but we haven't been playing for more than twenty-some years. And most of the current members joined way later than that, more like 15 years for the main chunk.

Really looking forward to seeing the maps for this competition, love seeing what people can do with the software. Thanks for arranging this.
  • Yep, 35 years.

Five of us met in an electronics class at college in September 1981. (I was the only girl in the class. Hehe.) My now husband had already been playing AD&D with his brother and two sisters and after showing us the rule books, invited us to join their game. We all became good long term friends. Even during the time my husband and I were in the military we would get together as often as possible (us returning home or them descending en masse on our small apartment to continue our campaign). It was a chaotic but fun time. After the military, my husband and I returned to our home town and the games continued. My brother-in-law passed away in 2014 so we are now down to seven of our original group but my two sons and their wife and fiancee now game with us when their schedules permit.

When we hit 30 years of gaming together we decided to celebrate our years together by doing something nice for other gamers every September. We've sponsored a free night at the gaming tables at one of the local game stores. We donated chess and checkers sets to a local senior citizen center. We donated a lot of our tabletop war gaming terrain to a new game store that was just getting started and we donated childrens games to a women's and children's shelter. When I suggested sponsoring a gaming competition this year every one was all for it.

So...in the spirit of the game...have fun mapping!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited September 2016
    Wait a second... "at college in September 1981." That would mean... er, never mind.

You were in the service, eh? Well then, I sense another discussion sometime. I'll say this now, though. Back in the 80's, when I was in Basic Training at Ft. Benning, I actually did some campaign building and some mapping(!) in a tiny, flip, spiral notebook. It helped keep me sane during all the crazy stress. I still have the pages! :-O  Now I think about it, I really should scan those into the computer, along with the paper doilies from the bar (yep), where I sketched the first rough map ideas for my game world while working as a bus boy.
  • Posted By: DogtagWait a second... "at college in September 1981." That would mean... er, never mind.
    Hahaha! That was my last semester too. I keep telling people that I'm an old lady. I really am! :)
    You were in the service, eh? Well then, I sense another discussion sometime. I'll say this now, though. Back in the 80's, when I was in Basic Training at Ft. Benning, I actually did some campaign building and some mapping(!) in a tiny, flip, spiral notebook. It helped keep me sane during all the crazy stress. I still have the pages!:-ONow I think about it, I really should scan those into the computer, along with the paper doilies from the bar (yep), where I sketched the first rough map ideas for my game world while working as a bus boy.
    We were navy. I was only in a year and a half or so and was granted a dependency discharge to care for my mother. My husband was in for 6 years.
    I have a lot of my early notes too, as well as my starting map done by hand, then CC2 when I got that, then in CC3 what I got it. The maps show a definite improvement in skill as well as understanding of geography. As a current member of The River Police I am horrified by my earliest maps. LOL
  • For those of us interested in this competition, a little clarification, please. You said only cc3 symbols for this competition. Is it correct to assume this excludes the CSUAC, and Bogie's Mapping Objects?
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited September 2016
    I started gaming in 1979, Tunnels and Trolls. I found AD&D in December, 1979. Started gaming in Zocchi's warehouse and then his store in Gulfport, MS when it opened. I have around 300 of his poly dice. When Gary Gygax got fired from TSR, I stopped my game. About 2000, I was looking around online for mapping software. I wound up buying CC2. And the rest as they say 'is history'. I have dice now from multiple vendors, around 3,000 dice. Still finding some of my old paper maps. When I was in the US Navy, rpg gaming hadn't arrived yet.
  • I started gaming in 1979. I was in 7th grade and my GM was my math teacher. Mr. Mitchell found an incredible creative incentive to get his students to do their homework! And learn math in the process! Great classes were set aside for the game. Only students who had turned in all homework assignments for that week, and passed the weekly test with at least a C, could participate in that week's game session.

Within three weeks he had even the slackers passing g his class with A's and B's! No one ever skipped one of his classes!

Anyway...he gave me the gaming bug, and I've been playing or GM'ing since then. It I only starting g mapping my games this year.
  • Grrrrrr Friday classes were set aside for the game.
  • edited September 2016
    Posted By: LadieStormFor those of us interested in this competition, a little clarification, please. You said only cc3 symbols for this competition. Is it correct to assume this excludes the CSUAC, and Bogie's Mapping Objects?
    Yes, bringing this discussion back to it's purpose....

LadieStorm, that is correct. Only ProFantasy symbols and bitmap fills are permitted in this competition. I do not have any outside party's artwork on my system so if you use them I and the other judges will only see red x's.
  • Cool! I'm in with a grin. Are SS4 Dungeons of Schley symbols and fills allowed?
  • Posted By: MappyCool! I'm in with a grin. Are SS4 Dungeons of Schley symbols and fills allowed?
    Good luck to you Mappy. Yes. You may use symbols and fills from any ProFantasy product including the annuals.
    edited September 2016
  • Well, I dont have any thing. It the basics and the free stuff...but I will give it my best shot.
    You can do amazing things with "just" the basics.
  • It's good to get back to basics sometimes!
  • Posted By: LadieStormIt's good to get back to basics sometimes!
    Indeed! Remember that my now somewhat famous battlemap was done just with DD3 symbols. Good Luck LS!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    This is a really great idea Shessar... and congratulations, by the way :)

I don't know the first thing about real battle maps, so I probably won't be joining the fun, but good luck to everyone else :)
  • Good idea, but I have everything Profantasy has, since I have a patron license. So i wont be entering.
  • Thank Shessar you for this great idea. I might want to give it a try, even if I don't usually use battlemaps when playing. I've seen that we have 30 day to do it. 30 days is quite short. But I've also noticed that Lorelei will participate, so I'm pretty sure it's enough time for her to participate with 10 entries under 10 false names, and get all of those entries ranking better that anything I could ever do :)

One practical question for the Judges: You asked for a 5 feet grid. But for me, feet do not mean anything. Would you accept a contribution done with SI units (metric)?
    edited September 2016
    Gathar, out of curiosity, how big are your grid squares (if you ever use them)?

For the record, 1.5 m is essentially 5 ft. It's 2.4 cm shy of 5 ft, where 2.54 cm = 1 inch, so less than an inch short.

Just curious how "the other half" maps.

~Dogtag
  • Sure, when I play D&D (I play many other games quite often, and D&D is about the only one where squares really matter), we usually use squares of 1.5m. 1.5m is only 2.4cm more than 5feet (you see, even for this computation, I can't refrain from giving the result in SI ;) ).
    For other games, either we don't use squares, or if we need more precision, we use bigger squares, because it's quite easy to get outside of the map very fast when you are on the official D&D scale. The official French translations of D&D have all distances converted into meters so, for me, a fireball has always been a 6m radius sphere.

If the only file that was to be provided for this context was a png, I would have used the IS system and drawn 1.5m squares without even mentioning it.
    But since Shessar wanted to get the fcw too, I'd like to be sure it will not be an issue.
  • edited September 2016
    Posted By: Gathar30 days is quite short. But I've also noticed that Lorelei will participate, so I'm pretty sure it's enough time for her to participate with 10 entries under 10 false names, and get all of those entries ranking better that anything I could ever do :)
    Lol. Thanks, Gathar, but i at the moment am staring at blank graph paper with absolutely NO idea what to do.....i JUST finished a battlemap over the weekend - that i have absolutely no use for in my campaign at the moment other than a "backup" in case things go off the tracks again, and knowing my gang, they will :) I'll post that in a separate thread
  • Posted By: JimPGood idea, but I have everything Profantasy has, since I have a patron license. So i wont be entering.
    Hey JimP, the vouchers will be good for a while and will be able to be used for next years annual if you would like. This competition offers something to everyone that participates.
  • Posted By: GatharThank Shessar you for this great idea. I might want to give it a try, even if I don't usually use battlemaps when playing. I've seen that we have 30 day to do it. 30 days is quite short. But I've also noticed that Lorelei will participate, so I'm pretty sure it's enough time for her to participate with 10 entries under 10 false names, and get all of those entries ranking better that anything I could ever do :)

One practical question for the Judges: You asked for a 5 feet grid. But for me, feet do not mean anything. Would you accept a contribution done with SI units (metric)?
    Yes, you may use metric units Gathar. 1.5 m is close enough to 5ft that it will be fine.

I can't, however, extend the time limits of the competition. Sorry.
  • uhm... should we title our maps? I've actually come up with an idea...if I can pull it off! Just wondering if it needs a title or not.
  • This is a great idea Shessar! Good luck to all of you who enter this competition. I will not be participating because I already own all of the profantasy software. But I look forward to seeing how this goes :)
  • Posted By: tonnichiwaThis is a great idea Shessar! Good luck to all of you who enter this competition. I will not be participating because I already own all of the profantasy software. But I look forward to seeing how this goes :)
    Im sure you can use it for Annuals, right? Another new year is JUST around the corner :)
  • Gday all. So I'm ticking away at a battlemap which potentially has potential if things work out ok.

My map will be in part of a ruined castle and it will be on two levels. Planning to use the SS4 Dungeons of Schley for most of it.

I have a question to do with scaling bitmap fills.

To get the impression of difference in height for the two levels, is it possible to increase the scale of a bitmap floor fill (Stone Paving Grey_SS4) so the larger scaled floor appears higher than the other in such a way that when Shessar goes to open the map she will be able to see this?

If I'm mapping just for myself I normally just make a new bitmap using the Stone Paving Grey_SS4 fill and give it another name then rescale, but I assume if I did that, Shessar would just see the red X's for the renamed, scaled fill?

Hmm did that question make any sense?

I'm hungry, been plugging away at this for a few hours now and no breakfast. Time to feed the belly.

Cheers
    Mike
  • Posted By: LadieStormuhm... should we title our maps? I've actually come up with an idea...if I can pull it off! Just wondering if it needs a title or not.
    Well, you can title your map if you want but as stated in the rules any descriptions will be ignored by the judges and titles are usually descriptive. Since this is a battlemap it should not be on the map itself. :)

Posted By: tonnichiwaThis is a great idea Shessar! Good luck to all of you who enter this competition. I will not be participating because I already own all of the profantasy software. But I look forward to seeing how this goes :)
    I just checked the email that Ralf sent me. The vouchers will be good until 2019 so you can use them on next years annual. :D

@Mappy, as one of the judges I can only answer questions relating to the rules so I'll leave that question to others to answer. ;)
  • @Mappy - if I understand you correctly, you want to have 1 bitmap, with 2 different scales, on the same level, is that correct?

I know it can be done if your maps has two separate map levels, because each level has its own set of sheets and layers. As far as I know (and if it can, I would LOVE to know how!!!) It can't be done on the same map level, because the bitmap scale is for the whole map.

Now there is a possible work around, and in theory I even k is how it might be done. Some of us started using the blur effect, at .5 - 1 on lower level areas to help show height. Now, in theory, if you were drawing a cave, with a drop off at the end of a corridor... You would draw the corridor on one sheet, the on another sheet maybe attach to what you have, draw the new level... Then add the slight blur to the sheet that level is on? I have NO idea if it would work...it's just a theory.