Reiga - World map

Hello,

I've been working on a worldmap for a project that I'm keeping private for now, but I figured I'd post some early screenshots of my map to get some feedback from you guys. I'm very new with CC3+ (bought it a couple of weeks ago), so I may be doing some things wrong. All kinds of advice welcome !

The images are pretty big despite being fairly low resolution so I'll just link them rather than include them in the post. Please be patient while they load :P. You might not be able to zoom a lot in your browser due to low res, if you want higher res, I can upload them too.

Here's a view of the entire world. I fleshed out the main landmasses, but most remain empty for now. I started with two small regions which I knew were quite independent from the rest so I used them to test things out a bit, and I'm now starting to work on the rest. Latest addition is that huge mountain range in the middle, with all the rivers flowing from it.
ENTIRE WORLD MAP

Here are zoomed views of the 2 regions I have already designed. There's more or less complete, I'm just missing texts (will help making settlements more visible) and roads (haven't found how to draw nice roads yet :/ ideas welcome).
NORTHERN REGION
SOUTHERN REGION

What do you guys think ?

Comments

• Looking good to me. I like your rivers.
    Northern region: What are those features off the northwest coast? Islands, sea monsters, icebergs - difficult to see at this resolution.
  • Posted By: KingdomBuilder
    Northern region: What are those features off the northwest coast? Islands, sea monsters, icebergs - difficult to see at this resolution.
    These are supposed to be icebergs, but I was a bit disappointed by the lack of symbols available for that in CC3+. Would've like to do something better if I had more choice !
  • If you are using jpg as fileformat the filesize is way smaller and as long as you stay around 80% image quality there are no relevant visual artefacts.
  • Blackadder23Blackadder23 Traveler
    edited January 2016
    Posted By: Svaala
    Posted By: KingdomBuilder
    These are supposed to be icebergs, but I was a bit disappointed by the lack of symbols available for that in CC3+. Would've like to do something better if I had more choice !
    Nice work so far!

I just wanted to point out, in case you weren't aware, that you aren't limited to what's available in CC3/CC3+. You can use "insert file" to add practically any graphics you want to your maps. In the final version of the Greyhawk map I made recently, every one of the 70 or so heraldic shields is actually a picture inserted by me. Just a tip that might help you out!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Looks very nice! You have a real feel for how to lay out the forest symbols!

One suggestion? Consider placing a darker-green "contour" under the forests. The sheet effects should give it a nice edge fade to blend in with the surrounding grassland.

I hope you'll keep sharing as you go, this is a really, really nice start!

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Thank you for the feedback guys ! Will definitely keep posting updates as I go.
    Posted By: Blackadder23
    I just wanted to point out, in case you weren't aware, that you aren't limited to what's available in CC3/CC3+. You can use "insert file" to add practically any graphics you want to your maps. In the final version of the Greyhawk map I made recently, every one of the 70 or so heraldic shields is actually a picture inserted by me. Just a tip that might help you out!
    Oh, awesome. Are there any symbol sets somewhere on the Internet, made available by the community ?
    Posted By: Dogtag
    One suggestion? Consider placing a darker-green "contour" under the forests. The sheet effects should give it a nice edge fade to blend in with the surrounding grassland.
    Hmm there's one under some forests, but not all. I thought it didn't make much of a difference, but I'm quite badly color-blind on reds and greens, so maybe there's something I don't see there :P.
  • 1 month later
  • I have spent quite some time working on this map, and ended up starting over as there was a few things I didn't like with the shape of my landmasses. I figured I'd post a little update before I'm too far into the new version, so I can get some precious feedback. The map is intended to be seen at a planetary scale, so I don't put any towns nor roads, only the main mountain ranges, forests, etc.

ENTIRE WORLD MAP

As you can see, most of the land is still empty, even the southern part isn't finished yet, but I'd appreciate some feedback about the shape and how it looks in general.

Thanks in advance, hope you like it !
  • Yeah, I do like it. I've had a real issue with visualizing how to draw continents with cc3 and cc3+ and actually having it look believable. That's why all of the maps I've been showing have not been of continents. But looking at your work I see you've been able to make the continents look very nice. Well done!
  • I think it's a great start. One suggestion: your desert and mountains on the southwest continent suggests prevailing winds from the west, the mountains blocking the moisture they carry. You might want a similar feature on the northern continent on the leeward side of the western mountains, much like the Great Basin to the east of the Sierra Nevada range in North America.
  • Posted By: BarlimanI think it's a great start. One suggestion: your desert and mountains on the southwest continent suggests prevailing winds from the west, the mountains blocking the moisture they carry. You might want a similar feature on the northern continent on the leeward side of the western mountains, much like the Great Basin to the east of the Sierra Nevada range in North America.
    Good advice ! Thanks !
  • Finished up the southern part of the main continent and started working on the central area of the northern part. Still need to do the coastal regions. I added some Ice in the northern waters as well, do you think it looks nice ?

ENTIRE WORLD MAP
  • I think it looks nice. At this distance from the map the ice looks great in my opinion. And the map is coming along nicely. Great job!
  • I think you're making great progress.
  • edited February 2016
    Alright, here's a *pretty much* finished version. What do you think ?

WORLD MAP
  • WarEagleWarEagle Newcomer
    edited February 2016
    Did you ever thought of making the land-lines more discrete by not using a dark blue and adding more fractilization to them?
    I'm asking becaue all of the landmarks are smooth, organic and natural, but the sea starts with geometrical angles, hard edges and a border wider than the largest river :)

Apart from this, a nice map. I really like the Desert de Suun with the cliffs in the north.
  • Hmm, it is true I could make the land-lines more discreet. Not sure what color I could use though, this was just the default one ... I wish they were "more fractal", but I don't know how to do that, I think I was on max settings when I created them !

Regarding the cliffs, I was quite happy to find out that the cliff symbols and the chasm symbols blended very well together !
  • You can try the fractalise-function , rightclick on the explode (dynamite) symbol in the toolbar, then click on the border.
  • 23 days later
  • this is Mike Schley's style isn't it? I love the look when I see others using it, but I can't seem to get mine to look as good as others!
  • Yes, that's Mike Schley. Loving this style, and really happy about the results !
  • 4 months later
  • edited August 2016
    Hi again,

I've been working on a new version of my world map, using the Wielink style this time. Here's a link : REIGA - WORLD MAP. Please let me know what you think, and if you prefer it to the Schley version (this one).
  • Oh this version is lovely!! I am partial to the HW style, though :)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I prefer the HW style as well. Nice map, Svaala :)
  • Svaala, this came out beautifully! The shape of you land masses are quite realistic and believable. I think that I like the HW version the best too.
  • 15 days later
  • New version with more landmass (the continents fell too small in the previous version) and updated scalebar (the previous one was widly incorrect for some reason) :

REIGA - WORLD MAP
  • I like the slightly larger landmasses. Great map!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    This just keeps getting better and better. Keep up the good work Svaala :)
  • Thank you all for your positive messages !

Also, on a side note, it was amazingly easy to add landmasses : at first I wanted to edit the initial ones by moving around nodes and adding some, but they had so many (because of fractalisation) that it was very painful. But it turns out I was just able to draw new ones on top of the existing ones, and they visually merged perfectly and seamlessly into each other, making it really easy to re-shape and extend my continents.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Beautiful map, Svaala!

In the future, if you're looking to edit your landmasses, you might want to try the Edit command option that's available for many drawing tools, like the landmass tool. Check out this post for more info.

As always, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag