World Creation HELP!

Hi all,

I've been trying to create a belivable world in Fractal Terrains for my campaign world setting. Having spent many frustrating hours trying to do so, I've come up empty. I have, however, come up with a few continents that I like. My question: Is it possible to combine these seperate Fractal Terrain files to create my own world map in CC3? If so, how?

Also, any advice on world construction would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dal.

Comments

• I've noticed a couple things that might be helpful to you. The first is the fact that you don't need to import an entire world into CC3- as best I can tell, what gets imported is dependent upon the display in FW when you do so. In other words, importing a Mercator view of the entire planet will get you a different map than importing a Hammer view that's zoomed in on one continent. To that end, you should be able to twist things around to get only those continents that you like, and import those into CC3. From there, you can either detail the individual continents, or start moving them around on a larger world-sized map until they're arranged to your satisfaction- then supplement them with additional bits of your own design to connect them, add to them, or maybe just toss in a few island chains here and there.

I would note that the conversion process is not perfect- FW converts to CC2, which CC3 can open, but ProFantasy didn't just slap a new number on Campaign Cartographer and call it a day. There's significant differences between CC2-style maps and CC3-style maps, even after converting them in CC3. You might want to consider using the imported data as templates, and then proceed to use the CC3 tools to build upwards from there. It's a lot of work but it can be quite rewarding to see things take shape.
  • It would take a bit of playing around. You can export the different continents, as Stormcaller said, then open a new CC2 map of the correct size (which depends on how big you want your world), import or copy those continents into the new map, save, and then if you wish change it to CC3.
  • Also, best advice I can give on world construction is to study maps and atlases to see what looks right. Then start with coast outlines, then decide where the mountains and sea rifts will be and add the contours. From there add the rivers. Then decide where the forests, plains, etc are (compare with Earth or look at a basic geography book to understand where to place them - eg forests don't grow above a certain height, deserts occur in the shadows of mountains, or where people have overgrazed). If you are a fanatic for detail, I would be drawing in the winds and ocean currents straight after the coast outlines (again, see a geography book or atlas to understand where they go) as they affect climate, and therefore vegetation. After that I'd put in settlements, remembering that civilisation follows rivers, and forms where there are resources. Then roads and borders.

Hope that helps.
  • Thanks to Stormcaller3801 and LM Rye,

I'm still getting to grips with CC3 so I'm not sure what its capable of yet. I've gone through the Essentials Booklet and am now working through the pdf manual. I hope that will give me a good grounding in the software. Thanks again for your help, it is appreciated.

Dal.
  • There's three videos available on this website that are also very useful for getting an idea of what you can do with CC3. Beyond reading and watching, your best bet is going to be just playing around with the software to see what works and what you like. CC3 provides you with an excellent set of tools, but it's like painting: you can have the best brushes and the best paints, but all they are is potential. To get the most out of them you need practice, experimentation, and general familiarity.

You also need a cohesive style. A painting that has pointillism over here, cubism over there, impressionism here, realism here- it just won't look good. Similarly, you can't put every single paint you own on the canvas. Play around with the symbols, effects, and bitmaps to figure out what you like and don't like, and try to develop a personal style that's internally consistent and not overly complex. For instance, different symbol sets vary greatly in appearance, and putting bitmap fills next to solid colors tends to look off. Try to create a style you like as you experiment, remember the effects that work well together and try mixing and matching.

That's the big things to remember with CC3 and when you wonder why your first maps don't seem as good as the things other people post, or what you find in the Annuals- it's a matter of practice, familiarity, and style. Just a helpful reminder in case you feel discouraged at times.