Final Release of Vintyri Cartographic Collection with Symbol Set 5

Support Notice

Note that official support for all resources released by the Vintyri Project, like this one, are via email to info@vintyri.org. You are still welcome to use this forum for help from fellow CC3 users, but the Vintyri project does not monitor this forum or provide support here.

Edit: Download links have changed!

Download page is now here.
Please make sure to visit the FAQ page if you have any issues.

Use these links instead of those in the text below. You may also need to use these links if direct links to files mentioned in the install guides don't work.

NOTE: A number of the addresses and links in earlier Vintyri postings now are dead and have been replaced by the new options mentioned below!

We now have completed release of the entire Vintyri (TM) Cartographic Collection for CC3+, finishing the conversions with Vintyri Symbol Set 5 which includes castles, town halls, a barracks, temples and connecting symbols for making governmental, military and religious compounds. In all, the complete cartographic collection contains 974 CC3+ raster symbols in the VH, HI, LO and VL resolutions and 122 fill styles along with templates and drawing tools, also in the VH, HI, LO and VL resolutions. Additional templates and drawing tools can be downloaded and installed by users of City Designer 3 and Dungeon Designer 3 with CC3+

The Vintyri Cartographic Collection is released for private and commercial use under the Open Game License 1.0a. It is a free program. The Vintyri Project is a non-profit, non-commercial organization. We sell nothing. We neither solicit nor accept donations. We do no kickstarters. We're strong supporters of open source gaming.

Now that the full package has been released, the installation routine has changed substantially. Instead of having to download and install many different apps, you need only to:

1) Download and install a single CC3+ app.
2) Download and install the PNG format symbols and fill style bitmaps.

The PNG graphics that make up the symbols and fill styles have a total download size of 4.4 GB. Because several users have reported problems downloading huge files, we have split the symbol and fill style downloads up into 13 smaller ZIP files. We know that this is irritating for users with very stable high-speed Internet connections, but it's necessary to make the cartographic collection to all users.

We have prepared a free bookmarked PDF Vintyri Cartographic Collection Installation Guide that will show you step-by-step with screen illustrations exactly how to do things right. PLEASE use the installation guide. A number of users didn't when installing the preliminary releases. You can read a few of their sad stories here in the forums. We got to read even more such tales of woe by private E-mail. Think of the old acronym from the early days of PCs: RTFM! (which meant "Read the @!&* Manual!). Save yourself hours of work unmangling a mutilated CC3+. It's easy to install the collection, but you have to do it right. You can get the free installation guide here:

http://www.vintyri.org/downloads/vccp_install_guide.pdf

If you're uncertain whether the collection is for you, you can preview it here:

http://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/preview_01

The preview shows you all 974 symbols and 112 fill styles.

After you've downloaded and installed the collection, your \Data Folder\Documentation folder will contain a 202-page bookmarked PDF book entitled "Vintyri Cartographic Collection Guide for CC3+." We released an earlier edition of this book several years ago for Fractal Mapper (TM) 8 and Dundjinni (TM), and we received a lot of feedback from users who found it to be extremely useful. This new edition is filled with brand new content and is tailor made for users of CC3+, CD3 and DD3.

During our test phase, both we and our testers found issues in both CC3+. These issues have been reported to ProFantasy, and we'll let ProFantasy decide whether they're bugs. Regardless, these are issues where CC3+ did not perform in the manner we thought that it should and where it created some genuine problems while mapping. We managed to duplicate these problems on a new PC upon which the Vintyri products never have been installed, so we're rather convinced that these issues are with CC3+ or CD3 and not our software. Be that as it may, the collection guide explains these problems and how to solve them or work around them, if possible. If not, the book tells you how to avoid them.

The cartographic catalog content is based upon real-world prototypes from the Middle Ages. As with the previous Vintyri releases for CC3+, this new edition integrates completely into City Designer 3, using CD3's roof lighting, toolbar, demographic building coloring, etc.

To go directly to the download site, go here:

http://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/vccindex_cc3p.htm

Mark Oliva
The Vintyri Project
http://www.vintyri.org
E-Mail: info@vintyri.org

EDIT: Support for missing toolbars

Sometimes after installing a Profantasy product with a previous install of CSUAC, toolbars will be empty or missing.
The cure is in one or two steps, of the following steps:

1) Run the current CC3+ update again, after installing everything. This will fix the empty toolbars for ProFantasy's own products.

2) For the free Vintyri add-ins, you will find a file named menu_recovery.bat in (Data Folder)\Profantasy\CC3Plus. The data folder is usually C:\ProgramData, but might vary if you chose a custom location when installing CC3+.
If you run this file after running the latest CC3+ update, it also will reconstruct the Vintyri toolbars correctly.

Ralf Schemmann

Comments

• Hmmmm, I downloaded and installed everything for CC3+ following the instructions precisely. I installed the optional toolbars and got an error when I clicked on a toolbar icon: CMENU error loading file

So, I decided to just restore the original toolbars and did that, again following the instructions, and now I can't switch between the CC3+, DD3, CD3 or CA3 buttons on the toolbar.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    edited January 2016
    Unfortunately, you've discovered a bug in the CC3+ installation ZIP on our server. Also see my patch message below in the forum:

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=5723 (43 KB)

Installing the following patch:

http://www.vintyri.org/downloads/vcc_cc3plus_patch01.zip (43 KB)

should solve this problem:
    So, I decided to just restore the original toolbars and did that, again following the instructions, and now I can't switch between the CC3+, DD3, CD3 or CA3 buttons on the toolbar.
    I suspect it also will solve this problem:
    I downloaded and installed everything for CC3+ following the instructions precisely. I installed the optional toolbars and got an error when I clicked on a toolbar icon: CMENU error loading file
    If it doesn't, having no access to your computer I can make only some educated guesses based upon your description above. The CMENU loading error suggests that CC3+ can't find the menu files. They need to be in \Data Folder\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\Menu, as shown here:

Let me know if this works. Private E-Mail probably is best for working these problems out in detail if any of them persist.

Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project
    info-at-vintyri.org
  • Thank you so much Mark. I'll message you.
  • 12 days later
  • Mark,
    Thank you so much for this. Not only developing and sharing, but for developing such comprehensive documentation. I've got one question, and one problem.

Question: Does the VCC symbol set obsolete the OGL 3.5 Vector Symbol Set? If not, do they follow the same installation process as the VCC and CSUAC? And how is the copper roof palette loaded in CC3+?

Problem: I can not get the icons for the optional VCC Overland Toolbar to load. I have a brand new install of CC3+ including the install of the CSUAC and now the VCC, all downloaded and installed today. Windows 7-64 Professional.

Note, I've noticed that the folder names on pg 21 of the install guide do not match the actual folder names in the install package, i.e. the guide shows ".../Toolbar Backup/CC3Plus and Vintryi" vs what is actually in the downloads ".../Toolbar Backup/CC3 and Vintryi"

Here (attached) are what CC3+ looks like with the toolbar loaded & the folder structure after the install
  • To keep this sticky from going wild, I've replied to Lord Entrails in the thread "Vintyri & the Missing Toolbar Icon Problem" below.
  • 6 days later
  • I was having some trouble with the symbol catalogs appearing blank. What I found was what I think is an issue in the vcc_cc3plus.zip file.

In the file, in the menu folder there are the menu .mnc files. These files all have entries similar to the following:
    Base Buildings:|CATALOG @Symbols\Medieval Symbols\Base Buildings Brown Beaver Tail.FSC;

This says the FSC file should be located in the @Symbols\Medieval Symbols\ folder.

However, in the same zip file, all of the FSC files are located under the @Symbols\Medieval\ folder and not in the @Symbols\Medieval Symbols\ folder

If I copy the FSC files over to the Medieval Symbols folder, it works fine and the catalogs show up as expected.
  • Unfortunately, you're right. This is an error. See the posting for Patch 02 below. Thanx for letting us know!
  • 2 months later
  • Hey Vintyri,

First let me say thank you for helping me install your collection I to my program. Your email helped tremendously!

I did notice one small.thing I wanted to ask you about. In the very last zip file, there was one item that could not be copied: CoompoundEnd01_80x60SLA_VH.

I skipped that particular item, and everything works fine... I really just wanted to give you a heads up. I don't k is if it's my comp, or the item itself.
  • Just one more question(actually, probably not...lol) is that I have Vintyri Collection set #5, is it still possible to get sets 1-4? Or has that ship sailed past me?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    All 5 symbols sets are available from the URL in the first post. The installation guide also covers all of them.
    edited April 2016
    I also will take care of this with private E-Mail. I also will send a bit of custom-made tutorial material to help get her off the ground with the CSUAC and imported 3rd party objects.
  • 1 month later
  • The PDF doesn't seem to open when I click on the link.
    edited May 2016
    Posted By: Richard T. BalsleyThe PDF doesn't seem to open when I click on the link.
    One needs more information to help you here.

Which PDF?

Are you using the CC3 or CC3+ version?

Do you have a separate download or a version in your Documentation folder?

With what program are you opening the PDF?

Exactly what happens when you try to open it?
  • I tried both installation guides, neither worked. All the link did was open a new tab, but nothing started downloading and the pane was blank. My default PDF viewer is Acrobat Reader.
    Posted By: Richard T. BalsleyI tried both installation guides, neither worked. All the link did was open a new tab, but nothing started downloading and the pane was blank. My default PDF viewer is Acrobat Reader.
    I just downloaded the package to see if there's file corruption on the German Telekom server we use, but there isn't. I can open the PDF without problems. This also is the only problem report we've ever had regarding this PDF. In other words, I haven't the foggiest idea why you're having trouble.

The only thing I can do is offer you a separate, new download. I zipped the PDF, and you can get it here:

http://www.vintyri.org/downloads/vig.zip

If this doesn't work, I'm at a loss as to what's up.

Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project
  • Mark, it could be one of many transfer points between his computer and your server. Wouldn't be the first time such a thing happened.
    Posted By: JimPMark, it could be one of many transfer points between his computer and your server. Wouldn't be the first time such a thing happened.
    I agree, however, that the same file corrupts in two different downloads is unusual, although not impossible.
  • 14 days later
    We have a new patch to fix some minor bugs in the CC3+ version of the Vintyri Cartographic Catalog. To apply it, download this file:

http://www.vintyri.org/downloads/cc3plus_template_patch.zip (640 KB)

The bug:

In 6 of the Vintyri templates, the combo box for picking a different background is empty and when one chooses a new background with the combo box, CC3+ ignores that choice. The patch fixes this.

To install:

Unzip the patch file into (Data Folders)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus
  • 1 month later
  • kmunozkmunoz Newcomer
    edited July 2016
    This may or may not be a problem similar to others'... not sure...?

I just reinstalled everything from scratch, with the Vintyri packages being last. I've just opened CC3+ and created a new map using CD3 Bitmap A in the wizard.

The six Vintyri buttons are blank - they're just gray squares. When I click on them, I get a dialogue that asks me to select a catalog setting. Whichever one I pick (for example, CD3 Bitmap Medieval BTB Artisan, which is at the top of the list), the symbols on the left side of the screen are all blank.
  • edited July 2016
    You need to rename Icons to IconsOld, and NewIcons to Icons. It's in the Bogie install instructions I think.

I'm just guessing, as I had something similar.

Boomer
  • kmunozkmunoz Newcomer
    I haven't installed Bogie's yet, so I don't think that applies, unfortunately.
    edited July 2016
    From your screen shot, it looks like you've installed Update 7 or 8 to CC3+. Since Update 7, CC3+ uses a new icon system. There are three ways that you can update so that the new icons appear:

1) Download and install the Bogie package. It will update the Vintyri collection too.

2) If you don't want the Bogie package, go here:

http://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/vccindex_cc3p.htm

and download and then install the new app for the Vintyri Collection. You do not need to download the symbols and fill styles again. In this case, be sure to read your installation guide too! This update will affect other things!

3) Contact me at info@vintyri.org and I'll send you a manual update.

Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri Project
  • kmunozkmunoz Newcomer
    Argh! I thought I'd done that (installed the 1.1 version). Installing again now.

I do want the Bogie package eventually but I've been a little unclear from the install guide how exactly it will interact with CSUAC in terms of toolbars, so I was planning to wait until I knew everything else was working. (I understand the instructions, but there's a certain vagueness in them about what comes out the other end with respect to CSUAC.)
  • kmunozkmunoz Newcomer
    edited July 2016
    Ok, so I reinstalled 1.1. The icons are now showing up (alongside the CSUAC icons, too). However, I'm running into a problem with the catalogs that are attached to those icons.

If I'm using the standard CC3+ interface, the only Vintyri button that shows up is the red teardrop, and I get all of the catalog options when I click on it (through a contextual menu). I suspect that's the correct behavior.

If I'm using the CD3 interface, however, I get all the Vintyri buttons, but all seven always lead me to the same catalog selection (as a dialogue box): CD3 Bitmap A (classic through wooden). All the buttons go to the same place; none of them go to the Vintyri catalogues.
    edited July 2016
    Posted By: kmunozIf I'm using the CD3 interface, however, I get all the Vintyri buttons, but all seven always lead me to the same catalog selection (as a dialogue box): CD3 Bitmap A (classic through wooden). All the buttons go to the same place; none of them go to the Vintyri catalogues.
    UPDATE: A new build has been uploaded that corrects these problems. Those who downloaded on Tuesday, January 26, or Wednesday, January 27, 2016, can fix the faulty build by downloading:

http://www.vintyri.org/downloads/vintyri_101_patch.zip (357 KB)

... and unzipping it into (Data Folders)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus

If you have further problems, let me know!
  • kmunozkmunoz Newcomer
    That worked! Thanks! Now to get Bogie's running...
  • 10 days later
  • edited August 2016
    That update fixed most of my issues. Currently a few of my catalogs are blank.
    CSUAC Aliens, CSUAC Creatures, CSUAC Animals, CSUAC Equipment, CSUAC Vehicles, CSUAC Vegetation, CSUAC Furniture

However, slightly down from that on the toolbar is
    artisans furniture, battlemaps, containers, creatures, dungeon dressing, elemental and magic, furnishings, kitchen furnishings, tavern furnishings, temples and statues, up and down, wall features (with cutting features), weapons

The section with Redthorn Tavern and Bogie Catalog Toggle button appears to work and the available catalogs are the ones listed above. I'm wondering if somehow these are not being detected in the data folder somehow due to the way they are split into subsections though the Redthorn tavern link works.

I did notice a few additional folders that don't show in my list of functioning toolbars: Boats and Docks, Bridges, Structure Parts, Structures, Town and Market,

Still fiddling with it when I go into the data folder the ones I have are found in the Profantasy/CC3plus/Symbols/Bogies Map Objects and Profantasy/CC3Plus/symbols/bogies redthorn tavern however when I root around I don't find one for
    Aliens, creatures, animals, equipment or any of their subfolders.

I also noticed that each of the ones in the list as a *.FSC but the ones that aren't in the list (see below) don't. Is is possible there are a couple of missing *.fsc files (is there an easy way to create them I somehow missed)

*update* I tried turning off my virus protection before running the update you put out. When I did that all the symbol collections that were listed and could be selected disappeared but bogie catalog allows me to switch between catalogs. That catalog now includes the missing ones from before "boats and bridges", etc.
    edited August 2016
    Posted By: mehrkatThat update fixed most of my issues.
    ???

As far as I can see, this is your first posting in this thread. It's early in the morning here, and I admittedly may be a bit blind and be missing something. Still on the first cup of coffee, etc. If so, excuse me. However, I have no idea what update you're talking about or what you've done in what sequence, what you downloaded when, etc. I can tell that you have all kinds of things that aren't working right, but without useful information from you, I can't even begin to figure out why. This thread deals with the Vintyri Cartographic Collection, which has been working successfully on many people's computers for a long time, but your posting is about the CSUAC (which isn't our product in the current version), the Bogie collection, etc.

You might want to start out by telling me what you downloaded when, so that I know whether you're working with current or obsolete versions.

Then it would be good to know whether you have installed CC3+ Update 8.

After that it would be good to know in which sequence you installed the Vintyri collection and Bogie's collection, if indeed you installed both. That too is not clear from your posting.

Then I need to know exactly where you installed things.

We have the CSUAC 2.0 (our product) available in beta testing, and that version might have some problems. That's why it's in beta testing. But as far as I know you're not a beta tester. So I assume that you have the earlier version by Shessar, if indeed you've installed the CSUAC at all. With some of the things that you list as missing, I suspect you may not have installed the CSUAC. For references on the current CSUAC version, you'll need to go back to Shessar's original postings and see if you did something wrong there, if you did install it.
    I also noticed that each of the ones in the list as a *.FSC but the ones that aren't in the list (see below) don't. Is is possible there are a couple of missing *.fsc files (is there an easy way to create them I somehow missed)
    There is no "below" to see.

Based on the information you've given so far, I have to assume:

1) You installed things wrong.
    2) Or you have a problem with CC3+.
    3) Or you have a problem with Windows or your computer.

My inclination is to pick option 1), but until I have useful information, I can't do much more than assume.
  • edited August 2016
    Posted By: Vintyri
    ???

As far as I can see, this is your first posting in this thread.

After that it would be good to know in which sequence you installed the Vintyri collection and Bogie's collection, if indeed you installed both. That too is not clear from your posting.

Then I need to know exactly where you installed things.

My inclination is to pick option 1), but until I have useful information, I can't do much more than assume.
    Posted By: Vintyri
    ???

Hi Vintyri,

I apologize I got confused and thought the Bogie collection and the CSAUC were the same thing (basically the Bogie collection was an updated version). I'm backing up and getting the CSAUC and then I will install the CSAUC (I'm currently downloading the latest nonBeta version of the CSAUC). Once I get that up and running I'll see if reinstalling the Bogie collection is necessary. I do have all the proper CC3+ updates.

When I installed the Bogie collection I couldn't get the toolbar to show but when I downloaded the "http://www.vintyri.org/downloads/vintyri_101_patch.zip (357 KB)" it fixed the Bogie links.

I'll see if everything works when I reinstall. My apologies for the early morning confusion.