Bogie's Mapping Objects for CC3+ Released (Free)

Support Notice

Note that official support for all resources released by the Vintyri Project, like this one, are via email to info@vintyri.org. You are still welcome to use this forum for help from fellow CC3 users, but the Vintyri project does not monitor this forum or provide support here.

Edit: Download links have changed!

Download page is now here.
Please make sure to visit the FAQ page if you have any issues.

Use these links instead of those in the text below. You may also need to use these links if direct links to files mentioned in the install guides don't work.

We have released Bogie's Mapping Objects for CC3+. Bogie's art pack now is available free to all CC3+ users. It is licensed for personal and commercial use. You all have Seen the work in recent weeks of LadieStorm. LoopySue and Lorelei using in part Bogie's excellent work. It's now available for your mapping projects too.

HEADS UP! Almost all faulty installations during beta testing were due to users not paying close attention to the instructions in the installation guide! Save yourself a lot of trouble! Read it and follow the instructions carefully!

For more information go to:

http://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/bgindex.htm.

Original announcement:

We have a new (free) product on the way that was under non-disclosure wraps until last weekend. Those have been lifted now that open questions over licensing, etc., have been settled. During the non-disclosure period some testers apparently disclosed a bit, because I received 3 queries about it last week from people who should have known nothing.

It doesn't matter. Secrecy isn't our thing, but we didn't want a public discussion before all lights were green. Here's what's up:

Bogie is one of the leading creators of third party symbols for Dundjinni. He also is a community leader at the Cartographers Guild and an admin at the Dundjinni forums. Some of our CC3+ beta testers think that Bogie's symbols are the finest quality they've ever seen. If you use the CSUAC, you already have some of his older work, which is included in it.

For several years, Bogie has been creating and posting nearly 1,300 symbols in Dundjinni format at the addresses listed above and at his own DeviantArt site. Many of his fans (including the Vintyri Project) consider his masterpiece to be the Redthorn Tavern Art Pack, a collection of about 250 symbols that give a cartographer just about anything one might need to make fantastic floor plans for taverns.

We (the Vintyri Project) have been thinking for some time that it would be great if Bogie's collections were converted for Fractal Mapper 8 and for CC3+, to fully integrate them into both products, and, in the case of CC3+, to make them available in the multiple resolutions with which CC3+ works best.

I know some users disagree, but we think that CC3+ has come along far enough that it's time for folks to move up. Making two versions is extra work for us. We (the Vintyri Project) have decided not to support CC3 in future products. However, CC3 users still will be able to download the CC3+ packages and import the symbols into CC3, if they choose. The CC3+ catalogs, toolbars, etc., will not work with CC3.

DD3 and CD3: This is the result of the nature of Bogie's work. For those unfamiliar with it, Dundjinni is not a good tool for making overland or city maps. It does well with battlemaps, dungeon plan areas and village scenes. That's what Bogie maps are, and his symbols are designed mainly for such maps. There's nothing there for pure CC3+ overland maps, but with Mike Schley and Hierwin Link on board in CC3+, that shouldn't be too tragic.

For a look at Bogie's maps, you can go to his DeviantArt site.

Our packages will integrate Volumes 1 and 2 into DD3 and Volume 3 into CD3. This does not mean that CC3+ users without DD3 and/or CD3 will be unable to use them, but one will need to load the catalogs manually rather than per toolbar.

That's about all there is to tell. Those who want to know what's in the EULA can read it at:

http://www.vintyri.org/downloads/bogie_eula.pdf.

Mark Oliva
The Vintyri (TM) Project

Comments

• Awesome! Thanks to your group and Bogie!
  • I've been a fan of Bogie for quite some time. Some of my battlemaps are certainly inspired by Bogie. This is great news!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Great news Mark. There is a lot of great stuff here. I really appreciate your effort in making this happen, and Bogie's skill and willingness to share.
  • Wonderful to hear this. Bogie is a real talent in the photo-realistic style of dungeon mapping art.

Thanks for your part in this too Mark! It will be a real boon to the CC3 community.
  • VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    I've received a few E-Mail inquiries asking for more information and also what the Bogie collection "looks like" in CC3+. That's a hard question to answer. My first inclination is to say, "not like much of anything." Volumes 1 and 2 extend the DD3 toolbar to give you access to the various symbols. Once one clicks a symbol, it opens one of Bogie's catalogs in the columns to the left. See the screen shot below. It shows DD3 enhanced with Bogie's toolbar and, to the left, some of the Redthorn Tavern set symbols loaded. The map that's open is the Horn & Stars Tavern WIP posted here a few days ago by S.D. McDaniel alias LadieStorm.

The toolbar symbols, from left to right, give one these selections:

1. Artisans' Furnishings
    2. Battlemap Symbols
    3. Containers
    4. Creatures
    5. Dungeon Dressing
    6. Elemental and Magic
    7. Furnishings
    8. Kitchen Furnishings
    9. Tavern Furnishings
    10. Temples and Statues
    11. Up and Down
    12. Wall Features (with cutting symbols)
    13. Weapons
    14. Redthorn Tavern
    15. Bogie: Catalog Toggle

The last symbol differs from the others in purpose. Over the "Select Symbol Settings" dialog, it lets one choose from all of the above catalogs, like DD3's Skirmish symbol or the Bitmap A and Bitmap B symbols in CD3.

The good content here, however, is what you don't see ... some 1,200 new DD3 symbols, integrated into CC3+ and DD3, in multiple resolutions and, in my opinion, the highest quality symbols I've ever seen. I have no problems blowing the trumpet like that, because the symbols are Bogie's creations, not mine. As LadieStorm wrote, "I can tell you, I'm blown away by Bogie's symbols!"
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    They really are gorgeous aren't they. It was worth the trouble sorting out a screen shot for those of us who don't have DD3 (yet). Thanks Vintyri :)
    Posted By: LoopysueIt was worth the trouble sorting out a screen shot for those of us who don't have DD3 (yet). Thanks Vintyri :)
    You'll be able to use the symbols in CC3+ without DD3, but you'll have to open the symbol catalogs manually rather than with the DD3 toolbar.
    Hmmmn. I can see this adding somewhat to my scale problem - the way I love to try drawing the entire world on a single map? lol

Its very tempting, though. They are mouth-wateringly pretty :)
  • great news i've used most of his tavern stuff for my "Das schwarze Auge" RPG Maptool Maps :)
    edited June 2016
    Posted By: Vastingreat news i've used most of his tavern stuff for my "Das schwarze Auge" RPG Maptool Maps :)
    You'll have it soon for CC3+/DD3 too.

By the way: "Das schwarze Auge" and not D&D or Pathfinder is the best-selling fantasy RPG in Germany. A new English language version is being made now (for the first time), and it will be called "The Dark Eye."

The name games there are somewhat interesting. "Das schwarze Auge" translates best as "The Black Eye." However, Germans, when slugged, don't get a black eye but rather a blue eye (das blaue Auge). Thus, "The Dark Eye" gets the meaning over better than the literal translation.

How good a game is "The Dark Eye" when compared to D&D or Pathfinder? Sorry. I have friends who play it, but I've never played it myself. You'll have to ask Vastin!
  • Mark, perhaps I can give a more distinctive answer as to what Bogie's collection 'looks like', since I'm currently using them for this project :). What they look like is a versitle, and in some cases, a more detailed version of what we currently have in the symbol sets for dd3 and the CSUAC.

But that's just skimming the surface! When mapping dungeons, taverns and inns, you have the versatility of custom designing your maps, but if you need to create something quickly, Bogie also has whole room setups at your disposal. I'm not using those in my Horn & Stars Tavern, 1) because I don't need to in such a 'small' space, and 2) because I'm trying hoping to show a different 'look'. But my Horn & Stars Tavern is the first of three or four maps I intend to make. One of my maps will be a three or four story inn, in which I intend to use a few of his room set ups, to show what you can do.

It really is an amazing collection! When I first installed them, I swear I spent two hours gawking at them, I was so impressed!
    edited June 2016
    Posted By: LadieStormMark, perhaps I can give a more distinctive answer as to what Bogie's collection 'looks like', since I'm currently using them for this project :). What they look like is a versatile, and in some cases, a more detailed version of what we currently have in the symbol sets for dd3 and the CSUAC.
    Bogie's work and the CSUAC all come from the Dundjinni community. But let's remember that when Cecil Solomon* put together the CSUAC, he was working with early generation material from Bogie and other Dundjinni users. As one would expect, most of the people who produced the CSUAC content became more skilled with time. Bogie certainly was one of them.

Another difference is that the CSUAC gives you its symbols only in a single resolution which sometimes produces slightly inferior results. Unfortunately, none of us has been able to gain a license to make a genuine CC3+ version of the CSUAC, although every effort has been made by several people to do so.

The Bogie beta collection is, on the other hand, a full-fledged CC3+ conversion with, among other things, multi-resolution versions of the symbols. The DD3 collection includes CC3+ cutting symbols, as already discussed here. The CD3 version (which I still am working on) has CD3 shadow maps, street alignment, demographic coloring, etc.
    But my Horn & Stars Tavern is the first of three or four maps I intend to make. One of my maps will be a three or four story inn, in which I intend to use a few of his room set ups, to show what you can do.
    And I'm looking forward to seeing them as much as other people are looking forward to getting what you already have on beta level.
    It really is an amazing collection! When I first installed them, I swear I spent two hours gawking at them, I was so impressed!
    That quote stands on its own.

* CSUAC = Cecil Solomon's User Art Collection.
    edited June 2016
    The beta version of Bogie's Mapping Objects, Volume 3, for CC3+ and City Designer 3, is ready for beta testing. The download link will go out to Vintyri and ProFantasy beta testers today and tomorrow (Monday).

As of tomorrow, I'll be working on the final Volume, No. 4, with Bogie's collection of fill styles. It should be in beta testing before the week is done. Volume 4 is the last in this series..
  • Downloaded and installed :D, that will be the last map I do, as time permits.
  • 26 days later
    Release target: July 18 (see above)
    Its going to knock your socks of... and probably blow your mind away! LOL
    Bogie's Mapping Objects now is available to all users. See the 1st posting in this thread.
  • edited July 2016
    I downloaded and installed the windows installer and it and I appear to have a bunch of missing files. The install process completes without issue, but when I create a new dungeon map and try to use some of the Bogies art work, I get a lot of red X's for artwork. Not all of them, but quite a few. I dug through and there were no files in the Symbols->Bogies Map Objects that correspond to the Red X files. Is it possible I got a corrupted download?

I made a simple album showing the files that are missing from my install.

http://imgur.com/a/dqPtl

Edit, forgot to add the link to the album
    Edit 2 - for clarity.
    That doesn't really help. What would help is information of a screen shot that shows where you installed. What you've written above suggests at least that the files are in the wrong location.
  • edited July 2016
    Hi,

I have the same problem. Strangely some files are working and some are missing. I hope the provided screenshots are helpful.
    I'm surprised you can do anything at all with the ZIP file. I just downloaded it again, and I can't. I get only a CRC error. The file apparently has become corrupt or degenerated on the German Telekom server that hosts our website. I've taken the file down, to prevent more bad downloads, and I'm uploading it anew. I'll test it after that and inform you when its available again in proper form.
    I've uploaded, downloaded and tested, and this file appears to do what it's supposed to do again.

However, there are other files on the Vintyri site that are missing or corrupt. Therefore, I'd suggest against downloading other things until tomorrow. I'll be going through check sums today and fixing what's gone bad. German Telekom says this is the result of system problems late Sunday night and early Monday morning.

If anyone has problems with the rebuild, let me know. The LINUX-Mac version also is unavailable at the moment, but it will be back later this afternoon (European time). When I checked it it also produced only a CRC error.

Sorry for the problems. This is getting irritating. It's the 7th time this year that something like this has happened!
  • I didn't get an error on the original zip file, but I did see red Xs after I ran the install program. I'm downloading the fixed file. Note that I'm using Win 8.1s Windows unzip ability, not one of the programs like WinZIP.
  • I have to browse to the symbol fsc files and load them that way. Click on the custom toolbar icon and selecting a symbol type doesn't load the symbols into the symbol area on the left hand side of CC3Plus.

After more testing, I remembered I hadn't installed the CSUAC symbols in CC3+ yet. The Bogie symbols show up fine.