Input on my first map (WIP)

Hi everyone, I just picked up CC3+ the other day so that I could map out a region for a D&D campaign I'm running. I've finally made some progress on something that I'm okay with, and I'd appreciate it if I could receive some input on what I've got so far and what I can do to improve upon it. Thanks!

Comments

• Sorry, that's the wrong version, sheet effects were disabled on that export. Let me try again!
  • This is very nice -- a great start. Two suggestions I'd make: first is that the beginning of the river in the NE should be behind or under a mountain, so that the beginning of the line is hidden. If you reorder he sheets so that the mountain sheet comes after (below, in the list) the river sheet, that'll work. Second, rivers don't usually split as they head for the sea, except at deltas. Your splits look too wide: more natural looking is for rivers to join on the way to the sea and then exit in a single flow.

Like I said though, great start!
  • Yeah, I like it. Good for starting out. As you get more used to the program you will see how the symbols tend to flow together to make the map look much better. In addition to wat Barliman said I think I would have made the symbol for the sea monster a bit further from the entrance to the sea. I probably would have also made the symbol a little smaller. But that is just my personal taste. So definitely good for starting out. I look forward to seeing what you come up with as you progress.
  • edited February 2016
    Nice start !

A few remarks :

1. I'd not use different scales for symbols of the same type. For example, you used a different scale for different hills, the volcano is huge and some moutains on the east side are really tiny. I think it looks a bit odd.

2. Maybe add more fading to the edges of your land features (the marsh and the grasslands up north for example) so they blend in together and with their surroundings better. You will notice that if you have 2 land features overlapping each other, they will not fade into each other nicely. To do that, I use 2 different "land features" layers, one on top of the other, to create rich and mixed land features (because 2 overlapping land features from 2 different layers will blend in just perfectly). For example, you could draw a large plain on a layer with a big edge fading, and draw smaller patches of marshes or scrublands on top of it, using the other layer, with a smaller edge fading.

3. Make use of the "Mirror" option when placing symbols, it'll bring even more diversity to your map (e.g your rocks at sea, or the waves).
  • Posted By: Svaala

3. Make use of the "Mirror" option when placing symbols, it'll bring even more diversity to your map (e.g your rocks at sea, or the waves).
    I didn't even know this option existed! This will come in very handy.
  • edited February 2016
    The different scales does not bother me, I often use different scales to get the affect that I want.

The Volcano is pretty large, at the scales that I use, my mountains are at 0.36 and my volcano is larger at 0.48, but that is because at 0.36 it is actually smaller than the mountains.

I have to scale it up to get it to look right.

Great advice on the land feature layers from Svaala!

I like how you framed the cliff/waterfall with woods.

Barliman is spot on about the rivers.

Overall, great 1st map!
  • Hello

A few suggestions:

The volcano southeast looks a tad out of scale.

Rivers join, they rarely branch.

/ Bjarne
  • Posted By: CharlesWayneRobinsonThe different scales does not bother me, I often use different scales to get the affect that I want.

The problem from my perspective is that the mountain range on the east shore of the lakes look small compare to the hill symbols on the west shores. I might replace those mountains with hill symbols and leave the tall mountains to the east in place.