Tutorial: Creating CD3 Symbols using DD3

Quote from the thread "Creating CD3 symbols using DD3":
Posted By: Simon RogersI'd be interested in the steps you take to get from the CC3 file to the finished symbol.
Here you go, Simon.

This is:
- my third map;
- my second CD3 symbol;
- my first CC3 tutorial;
- my way of saying thank you to the entire ProFantasy team for developing this fantastic piece of software!

The package includes:
- a 24-page PDF explaining step-by-step how to create a CD3 symbol from a DD3 map;
- a CD3 symbol (once again, a Chinese court-yard house) in three different resolutions (HI, LO and VL) as well as the matching shading PNG's and FSC file;
- BMP's of the DD3 map used to create the symbol (3000 x 3000 and 1000 x 1000 pixels);
- a 1000-x-1000-pixel BMP showing the created house symbol in CD3 with sheet effects turned on;
- a new DD3 symbol in four different resolutions (VH, HI, LO and VL) as well as the corresponding FSC.

Unzip the package in your CC3 folder.

I wrote this tutorial as fast as I could (i.e. I started yesterday evening and finalised it in the middle of the night and had to finish the DD3 map, render the images, prepare the zip file, etc. while/after writing it). Moreover, English isn't my mother tongue. Hence, it is very likely that I have made a couple of grammar and spelling mistakes. It is also possible that I have made a few errors in terms of content. I hope that you'll understand and enjoy the package anyway.

If you find any blatant mistakes which you would like to see corrected, please post them here or whisper them to me and I'll amend the tutorial as soon as possible (i.e. once I'm back from my holiday).

Happy mapping & don't forget to share your creations!

Mogul76

Link to download: Click here.

Preview:

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I haven't had the time to read it properly yet, but it looks like an excellent tutorial. Very detailed, and lots of helpful images. Well done. I'm going to keep this one.

Just a hint for the future though; you might wish to use another image format than bmp for the examples. Mediafire doesn't exactly provide the fastest downloads around, so a smaller file size would be helpfull.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Wow, thank you very much for doing this. I wouldn't have considered doing the map files directly in CD3.

Another question: what's the license on the Qin Dynasty symbol pack you mention, and what's the resolution per foot?
  • Simon: I googled around and found the pack here. (Map Objects: Qin Dynasty by Four Ugly Monsters, $10)
  • Mogul76Mogul76 Traveler
    edited September 2008
    Yes, ShadoWWW, that's Devin's Qin-era symbol pack. I commissioned him to create the map objects, but he holds the copyrights. The resolution: 100 pixels = 1 foot. The symbols convey the unique atmosphere of ancient Chinese settings but can also be used in other types of campaigns (Conan the Barbarian?).
    Posted By: MonsenJust a hint for the future though; you might wish to use another image format than bmp for the examples. Mediafire doesn't exactly provide the fastest downloads around, so a smaller file size would be helpfull.
    I'll make sure to post my maps as PNG's in the future.

Thanks to all for that feedback. If I find enough time, I'll create a complete set of oriental CD3 symbols. And perhaps I'll even write some more tutorials in the future. I very much enjoyed doing this one ;-)
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: ShadoWWWSimon: I googled around and found the packhere.(Map Objects: Qin Dynasty by Four Ugly Monsters, $10)
    Thank - you, I should have posted the link. It's the license I'm interested in. Can it be used to make maps for commerical use?
  • Posted By: Simon RogersThank - you, I should have posted the link. It's the license I'm interested in. Can it be used to make maps for commerical use?
    As a commissioner, I have an own agreement with Devin. Hence, I know that I could.

I have just read his general license agreement.

You can find it here.

Nothing seems to indicate that you can't create "commercial maps" using his symbols.

If you want to be absolutely sure, though, I could ask him to drop you an e-mail. Just let me know.
  • PS I've just noticed that Devin's e-mail address is public. So, if you want to, you can contact him directly. You'll find it here.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: Mogul76Nothing seems to indicate that you can't create "commercial maps" using his symbols.
    Actually, the agreement states "for personal use", which basically means no commercial use.
  • Like I said, technically speaking I can create maps for commercial purposes using the aforementioned symbols but I currently have no concrete plans to do so ;-)

If anyone else has such intentions, just contact Devin by e-mail. He seems to be an open-minded person.
  • 9 days later
  • Hey guys, thanks for the interest.
    I am more than happy to let people use the symbols for commercial use as long as they contact me 1st.
    The general usage I have on the site is geared more towards the tokens I create.

This was my 1st real venture into map symbols. Mogul did a ton of work getting reference which helped a great deal in getting them to look fairly decent.

-D
    devinnight@att.net
    www.fouruglymonsters.com
  • 3 years later
  • ... Invalid or deleted file... Does anyone knows where I can find the archive on this post?

Mateus
  • Mediafire has evidently deleted it.