City done in CD3

ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler
This is a map I've made for a payed commission. It is made in CD3 and Photoshop. Photoshop has been used for the cliffs and colour effects.
Hope you like it.
AleDLoopysue

Comments

• KenGKenG Traveler
    Wow just great work as always,
  • Very inspiring! The city is a marvel and the cliffs are... wow!
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Hard to find any bad thing, or even an advice, to give to you Clercon. As always, a top job.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Just a question. For doing the cliffs with PS, do you work with just transparencies, or do you use some kind of cloud drawing? Thanks in advance.
  • Posted By: MedioJust a question. For doing the cliffs with PS, do you work with just transparencies, or do you use some kind of cloud drawing? Thanks in advance.
    Second this question.

I have been having a terrible time dealing with elevation differences in the city I am mapping and would love to know any techniques to better achieve the cliff type effect. I have used shading however the results create more of a hill type effect instead of a break in elevation.

I found some cliff symbols buried in the overland folder and if there was a fill pattern like the one they have in the symbols I could shape them as needed and just fill them in.

Hopefully you can provide some advice.
  • ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler
    Thanks for all the comments, and when it comes to drawing elevation that is probably CD3's biggest weakness. I always do the elevation in Photoshop. To do it I'm using a Wacom tablet and usually just draw lines to mark out cliffs with the brush tool. Then I add some colour and shading and light to create a 3d effect. Hope that helps a bit. Probably it would be easier to show then to describe. I'm thinking of trying to do some video tutorials, and that could be a good one to start with. But it won't be for quite some time. Have a lot of other things to finish first.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Yeha, using a Watcom with brush in some kind of shade is what i expected. Wish i had a Wacom, hehe.

No worries much about the tutorial, and congratulations again on the map. And agree about cliffs (and seashore) being biggest issues in CD3.
    Posted By: MedioYeha, using a Watcom with brush in some kind of shade is what i expected. Wish i had a Wacom, hehe.

No worries much about the tutorial, and congratulations again on the map. And agree about cliffs (and seashore) being biggest issues in CD3.
    You should get a Wacom, the bamboo ones are actually not that expensive, and they are a must if you want to make maps outside Profantasy's programs.
  • Great city map yet again Clercon. It's beautifully done.
    As everyone else has already said, the cliffs are brilliant.

@Medio: As Clercon said the Bamboo tablets aren't expensive (and they're still really good), but also keep an eye on eBay - LOADS of people get a Wacom, only use it once or twice, then sell on eBay. I bought a brand new Bamboo pen&touch a couple of years ago for £60 that my artistic daughter was constantly borrowing, so I ended up letting her have it and buying a replacement from eBay for about £15 that was in better condition than the one I already had. You can easily pick up an Intuos 3 from eBay for less than a brand new Bamboo.
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Posted By: Clercon
    Posted By: MedioYeha, using a Watcom with brush in some kind of shade is what i expected. Wish i had a Wacom, hehe.

You should get a Wacom, the bamboo ones are actually not that expensive, and they are a must if you want to make maps outside Profantasy's programs.
    This is what my graphics designers friends have been telling me for some months, hehe. I will check them, although right now i´m investing around 1200€ on my new desktop and i´m sure my wife will kill if i ever spend a single buck more on electronics this year :D

On the other side, i´m buying a Dell Venue Pro 11 for my company this month, and that includes an active pen. I know it´s not as good as a Wacom but i wonder if i will be able to use it for at least do some scratches of mapping with it.

Need to add the Wacom to my wishing list if finally we get a BIG contract with Ecuador next month ;).
  • MedioMedio Surveyor
    Posted By: Raiko
    @Medio: As Clercon said the Bamboo tablets aren't expensive (and they're still really good), but also keep an eye on eBay - LOADS of people get a Wacom, only use it once or twice, then sell on eBay. I bought a brand new Bamboo pen&touch a couple of years ago for £60 that my artistic daughter was constantly borrowing, so I ended up letting her have it and buying a replacement from eBay for about £15 that was in better condition than the one I already had. You can easily pick up an Intuos 3 from eBay for less than a brand new Bamboo.
    Humm i´m not that fond of buying on Ebay, but will consider it. I live in Spain so maybe there won´t be so many offers, but will check it in anyways. Thanks for sharing it!
  • Posted By: ClerconThanks for all the comments, and when it comes to drawing elevation that is probably CD3's biggest weakness. I always do the elevation in Photoshop. To do it I'm using a Wacom tablet and usually just draw lines to mark out cliffs with the brush tool. Then I add some colour and shading and light to create a 3d effect. Hope that helps a bit. Probably it would be easier to show then to describe. I'm thinking of trying to do some video tutorials, and that could be a good one to start with. But it won't be for quite some time. Have a lot of other things to finish first.
    I for one will look forward to your tutorial. My graphics design skills are rudimentary at best so I am not sure whether a tablet would end up helping out without some idea of what to do. When you say add some colour and shading and light to create a 3D effect this leaves me thinking "ya but how do you do that!" hehe.

In any case thank you very much for your advice I will see what I can manage. :)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited March 2014
    Another beautiful map! The hills and cliffs look great! I really like the Nobles District and the private docks for the palace (and the nobles, presumably). And, as usual,I'm particularly fond of your use of green space. Was this your layout, or did you "just CD3-ify" your customer's source map? Interesting that the districts all seem to be walled off from each other.

May I ask,
    • What are the little round brown objects lining the paths in the central park?
    • What is the building at the south end, in the corner, the one shaped like Princess Leia's blockade runner, do you know?
    • Are all the houses done individually with the house tool, or did you use the street tool? I ask because they're so similar in size, depending on the neighborhood!
    Bravo, sir. Inspiring work, as usual.
    ~Dogtag
    Posted By: Dogtag
    May I ask,
    • What are the little round brown objects lining the paths in the central park?
    • What is the building at the south end, in the corner, the one shaped like Princess Leia's blockade runner, do you know?
    • Are all the houses done individually with the house tool, or did you use the street tool? I ask because they're so similar in size, depending on the neighborhood!
    Bravo, sir. Inspiring work, as usual.
    ~Dogtag
    Thanks Dogtag.
    The little brown object are actually small bushes, they are really green but that looks much clearer in the original size. This version is about 20% do the original size.
    The building in the south end is just a building I added in to break of the pattern that the normal houses create. So it is up to the customer to make up what it really is :)
    The houses are mainly made with the street tool. Bit around 20% of the houses are added manually with the house tool.
    Fantastic, thanks! So, was the city design yours?

~Dogtag
    Posted By: DogtagFantastic, thanks! So, was the city design yours?

~Dogtag
    Well a bit of both actually. I got a sketch of the city that I redefined a bit to make it look more "real" if you understand what I mean. But the layout of streets and houses are all mine. The sketch just marked out the general layout of of the city.
    edited March 2014
    One of my biggest stumbling blocks when mapping a city is layout and "realism". Do you have any suggested reading, websites, or other references that might help mere mortals like myself get a better idea of the kinds of things that make cities look like cities, rather than simply a bunch of streets lined with buildings?

Or should I just stop babbling and read your blog? image

On a side note, I'd also like to say that your farmlands always look ridiculously realistic. I don't mean the fields themselves — though those look great — I mean the roads, buildings, and trees that you dot throughout the fields look almost photo-realistic, layout-wise. For those, I probably just need to study more maps, or even photos of modern farmland, but you really have a great eye for it.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
    Well stop babbling and read my blog ;)
    Honetsly the best thing you can do is to look at older parts of cities in google earth, thats what I do. Also don't be ashamed to steal :) If you find an interesting part of a city take a screenshot and import the picture to CC3 and use it as inspiration for your maps. I made a blogpost about stealing your coastline, maybe I should do one about stealing your city as well :)

As an example, go to google maps and search for the swedish town karlsborg. Then have a look at this map on my blog http://mappingworlds.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/kizik.png. As you can see I'm just a simple thief ;)
  • Posted By: ClerconAs you can see I'm just a simple thief ;)
    A pretty nimble one I'd say...

Posted By: ADRI for one will look forward to your tutorial.
    +1
    Posted By: ClerconWell stop babbling and read my blog ;)
    Ha! Done. Thanks for the advice (including the rest of your reply).

And, again, beautiful map.

~Dogtag