Question regarding CA3

Hi there, so far Character Artist 3 like all the other profantasy stuff has been a great deal of fun to use and helped a lot with some visualizations.

I had a question that may not have an answer yet but I figure I may as well ask. Are there any intentions of adding modern/future sets to the Creative Artist 3? They'd go well with the Modern and Future sets for CC3 not to mention cosmographer.

It'd be especially cool imho to have them be compatible with the same "models" used for the fantasy armor and all that currently in CA3 because I have some design ideas that would involve gun wielding plate armored soldiers :)

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    We'd certainly love to publish additional material for CA3, but we need to know how popular it is in the long run first. Commissioning all the necessary artwork for it is quite an investment that we need to be sure we can recoup.
  • I would spend money on futuristic characters, including Traveller types. Non-humanoid characters to. ( By that I mean not symetrical human bipedal basic shapes.)
  • Hi! Futuristic Characters and/or Alien Models would be what would make me buy Character Artist 3 in the first place! I'd be happy to pay for unlocking them.
  • I'm with TiltingAtCthulhu on this. You guys should be very proud of what you've done with Character Artist, it's a wonderful tool. I'm running Shadowrun and would love to make a few corp cannon fodder paper standees. Orks and Trolls would also be a great addition. The new art looks wonderful and I'm enjoying the designs, but it's value is limited because of the lack of modern options.
  • Posted By: RalfWe'd certainly love to publish additional material for CA3, but we need to know how popular it is in the long run first. Commissioning all the necessary artwork for it is quite an investment that we need to be sure we can recoup.
    That''s the problem ... a hard one to solve. On the one hand, CA3 is an excellent add-on, as far as quality goes, but the symbol library is too small and narrow in range for many of us to get the use out of the program that we'd like to. On the other hand, it makes absolute business sense to want "to know how popular it is in the long run" before investing more money in it. On the third hand, to be popular with the whole RPG community, it needs a bigger symbol library.

As we all know, you can't make three-handed monsters with the current symbol library. "That's the rub," as a wizard named William Shakespeare once wrote.
  • I would buy an extention of the symbol library, especially faces and facial expressions. To be frank I would not buy a Future Set for CA3.
  • I'd definitely buy a modern/future art set for CA3. I'd like them rolled together as "modern" and "future" can often blend a bit in some RPG games.

I'd love to have the modern/future work with the fantasy because that would also open up a variety of "steampunk" options which would cover just about every single RPG type out there!
  • I would even be willing to pay extra for CA3 add-ons, even though I have a patron license.
  • I would buy any catalog that covered well, 1920 to present day and supers. Some futuristic as well depending.
  • Posted By: TilorI would buy an extention of the symbol library, especially faces and facial expressions. To be frank I would not buy a Future Set for CA3.
    Same here. I'd be very excited about an add-on that extended the variety of faces, expressions, and head shapes. An extended fantasy library would be fantastic, but I too am not interested in sci-fi, old-west, or other genres.

One solution may be some in-depth, step-by-step tutorials on how people can make their own symbols and then promote a user-contributed symbol library for ca3.
  • That is one fascinating option OldGuy!
  • Posted By: OldGuyOne solution may be some in-depth, step-by-step tutorials on how people can make their own symbols and then promote a user-contributed symbol library for ca3.
    I second that solution OldGuy! Splendid idea!
  • Good idea, what was also floating in my mind was a kickstarter (also a good way to check if enough people are interested in something)
  • Posted By: Vintyri
    Posted By: RalfWe'd certainly love to publish additional material for CA3, but we need to know how popular it is in the long run first. Commissioning all the necessary artwork for it is quite an investment that we need to be sure we can recoup.
    That''s the problem ... a hard one to solve. On the one hand, CA3 is an excellent add-on, as far as quality goes, but the symbol library is too small and narrow in range for many of us to get the use out of the program that we'd like to. On the other hand, it makes absolute business sense to want "to know how popular it is in the long run" before investing more money in it. On the third hand, to be popular with the whole RPG community, it needs a bigger symbol library.

As we all know, you can't make three-handed monsters with the current symbol library. "That's the rub," as a wizard named William Shakespeare once wrote.
    It's chicken and egg really.

Well done with CA3 as it is, but I must admit I use a wide variety of genres and would love to see Old West, 1920-1940s but primarily Future/Sci-Fi/Aliens and Supers/Modern types of additional material.
    I would definitely purchase those.
  • TheElfTheElf Newcomer
    Ralf: I have to repeat myself. On the CC2-L mailing list I wrote: You can't make CA 3 library big enough as it would be too expensive, but it can be seen as part of a bigger production workflow. We have plenty of tools that can help us to make character art, including DAZ Studio, Poser, etc. and they are, and they will be more versatile than Character Artist. And I found DAZ Studio extremely easy to use, and Carrara 8.5 Pro is "somewhat easy to use" and extremely powerful. Why? Because they use 3D models, morphs, transparency, etc. to make any kind of character art we need.

But the moment we print to scale, they offer nothing, as they aren't designed for that. That is when we turn our rendered PNGs into symbols. And I hope that camera settings, non photorealistic renderers, and planned CC3 plus effects will make things look great.

On the other hand: The first time I gone beyound their existing library and made a model, it was about adding maps to the pictures. This way I was able to show some scenes. etc

If I would learn how to use a CC3 made map as terrain for Carrara renders, and would be able to add some houses (stock stuff) based on symbols I would be super happy... And in the Poser Scene there are some very small companies (like the guys behind Poser World web site) so teaming up is possible. I am sure a few who render terrain, etc. would love to pick up CC3 soon, and some of the people here would be so happy to turn their models into CA 3 symbols.

I would suggest teaming up with guys at DAZ, or the operators of Poser World web site, and focus on this topic in a few annual issues.

On the other hand: If people who needs these 1920-1940 era clothes would be okay if we would base them on renders, then it can be done in a few days.

Say: I can start rendering figures (simple light setup, non photorealistic renderers, etc)... Then hair, then clothes, etc. one item at a time, with same camera setup. Then we can see them with different head morphs, etc. and soon it can be used as symbol set. I understand it isn't perfect. I understand it isn't hand drawn. But I am sure if we can have lots of symbols and a quick guide that is worthy of an annual issue. If it is the freebie for this year, I am sure a lot would celebrate.

If a few does this as community project it is either free, or if you reward the contributors with profantasy products or vouchers, it is cheap investment on your part.
  • 6 days later
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    It would be great to have top down figures also.
  • KenG: Please check my map in the January contest. On the right side you see a lady. What do you think, would you use something with similar visual style?
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    When we get the chance, we'll post a PSD file with a basic set up so you can see how it works.