CC3+

Comments

• I have been here since CC Dos, and will stay through CC3+ and beyond.

Seriously, Thank you for years of effective mapping.
  • Will older products, especially the annuals, be backwards compatible with CC3+?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Yes, they will be. You will be able to use any version 3 add-on with CC3+.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: jaerdaphWill older products, especially the annuals, be backwards compatible with CC3+?
    Any incompatibilities will be dealt with using free compatibilty updates.
  • In an earlier post, the release was indicated as 'pre-April'. However, my Character Artist 3 email indicated January. Not to look the gift horse, or software, in the mouth but that seems almost too good to be true.
  • Personally, I never get anxious for software releases. The more time developers have, the more testing they can do and the more goodies they can add. : )
  • Yeah, I got the same email this morning saying CA3's been released (which I may get further down the line, but not now), noting that CC3+ is considered a "newer version" of CC3 (and thus covered by the 3-month "Upgrade Guarantee" window for free upgrade). Now, I purchased CC3 (and a few addons) about... 36-ish hours ago (on Dec. 17, putting my 3-month window at about March 17), So I have two questions:

1) Do we have a more specific release date estimate than just a month?
    2) How much would an upgrade from CC3 to CC3+ cost, before any guarantee discounts? (e.g. if you were to release it in April, how much would it be before the 60% discount?)
    Posted By: bigdruidIn an earlier post, the release was indicated as 'pre-April'. However, my Character Artist 3 email indicated January. Not to look the gift horse, or software, in the mouth but that seems almost too good to be true.

The CA3 offer is this. If you have CC3 and you get CA3, you are guaranteed a free upgrade to CC3+ when it is released, whenever that is. This offer expires on 1st January 2014.
    The CA3+upgrade offer ends 1st January - but CC3+ will not be released in January. I am making no guarantees about when it will be released. I hope, before April.
    Posted By: Kitsune ZetaYeah, I got the same email this morning saying CA3's been released (which I may get further down the line, but not now), noting that CC3+ is considered a "newer version" of CC3 (and thus covered by the 3-month "Upgrade Guarantee" window for free upgrade). Now, I purchased CC3 (and a few addons) about... 36-ish hours ago (on Dec. 17, putting my 3-month window at about March 17), So I have two questions:

1) Do we have a more specific release date estimate than just a month?
    2) How much would an upgrade from CC3 to CC3+ cost, before any guarantee discounts? (e.g. if you were to release it in April, how much would it be before the 60% discount?)
    We are certain it will be released in 2014, and I hope before April, but that's all I can say. We have not yet decided on a price for the upgrade but I imagine it will be at least $20 pre-discount.
  • Question/clarification:

- Okay, I know if we buy Character Artist 3 ($40) we get CC3+ for free when it comes out. That's not what I am asking about.

- If we do NOT buy Character Artist 3, but we DO own CC3, do we get any discount on upgrading to CC3+, or would it be the same cost for us as it would be for a brand new customer who has never bought Campaign Cartographer before?

Thanks.
    edited December 2013
    We ALWAYS do upgrade options for existing owners. I.e. yes, of course, there will be a reduced price upgrade option - probably in the $15 to $25 price range, though that's not decided yet.

CC3+ for new customers will replace CC3 and therefore will probably keep the price tag of $44.95.
  • Thank you for the clarification Simon and Ralf. :) What you posted here seems a bit more reasonable given normal software trials and tribulations.

I look forward to CC3+, it seems pretty awesome.

Happy Holidays everyone!
  • CielCiel Traveler
    Sweet Luna on a tricycle! This is AWESOME news! XD

While I have continued to use CC3 for multiple projects (and recently just got someone I know who was interested in trying his hand at mapping for his fictional country to pick it up, as well) and still love the program, I've been frustrated by the issue with exporting images from maps at high resolutions and/or with anti-aliasing in use (the "issue" being that it basically can't be done).

I couldn't help but notice a particular item in that list of features that Simon posted: "You also get higher resolution export with anti-aliasing."

So it looks like, among MANY other enhancements, CC3+ will specifically fix the single most problematic issue I was having with CC3. On top of that, we may have our hands on it as soon as early-to-mid 2014, AND we're going to get some kind of discount on it if we already own CC3?

I am officially HYPED. Can't wait!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Out of curiosity, will there be a function to let us duplicate a sheet or create a new sheet based on an existing one? I'm not particularly interested in copying the entities on the sheet along with the sheet itself so much as I'm interested in copying all the effects and their sheet-specific parameters.

~Dogtag
    Posted By: DogtagOut of curiosity, will there be a function to let us duplicate a sheet or create a new sheet based on an existing one? I'm not particularly interested in copying the entities on the sheet along with the sheet itself so much as I'm interested in copying all the effects and their sheet-specific parameters.

~Dogtag
    Copying effects from sheet to sheet is on the wish list, but I don't know if it will make it into the first release.
  • suntzusuntzu Betatester Traveler
    Just wondering if the wine compatibility will remain with cc3+ , at the moment i use crossover on my mac for cc3 which works really well

Rob
  • Woot! Looking forward to this....
  • Very, very nice. I came back at the right time -- I just preordered CA3.
  • 8 days later
  • Are you expecting improvements to rendering in CC3+ to have any effect on the "banding" problem that you currently get when rendering a map that uses the DD3 Lighting Effects?
  • 7 days later
  • I've been away from CC for a long time but have several of the products. I want to upgrade but I really don't want to go through the installation order heck that I used to. Has it been resolved? Ideally I would like to login to the site here, and tell it I want a custom installer generated with all of my paid content. This would then be downloaded to me and I could do a single click install. Wouldn't that be lovely?

Sorry I digress. So is there still an installation order issue with the various products?

Regards,

Tim
  • 6 days later
    The general installation order is: CC3, the add-ons in any order, and at the end the latest update to CC3 (CC3 Update 11).
  • Given a release date in April (maybe) I assume that CC3+ won't be XP compatible, since XP is scheduled for end-of-life in April. That's nuts for me, and means that the cost of upgrading is going to be fairly steep.

I'm a Mac user by default and maintain a Windows XP VM for exactly 3 reasons: Quicken, an old Palm that I'm not quite ready to get rid of, and CC3. Seeing as my use of Quicken and the old Palm are on their way out (albeit very slowly) this means that CC3 will be my only reason for having a Windows VM. Given the cost of upgrading the OS, it's doubtful that I'll be upgrading to CC3+ anytime soon, which is a bummer.

Of course, like dm_tim I've also been away from CC3 for a while and am only really noticing the impending upgrade because of the planning I'm doing for maintaining my XP system after EOL. I'm not even playing any games at the moment, let alone running one. So chances are that I wouldn't have upgraded right away even if it weren't for the OS issue. However, when the opportunity to get back in to gaming does arise, the upgrade to CC3+ will not be automatic for me. I guess mostly I'm posting to say, "I wish I had a reason to anticipate this upgrade to a piece of software that I really like."

I guess I'm still waiting for CC4 (the next version), which we were promised will be multi-platform.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    I doubt that there will be anything in CC3 that prevents it from working on XP. It's tough to ignore what is still 30% market share (and likely higher among home users). Probably the worst that will happen is that there won't be as much testing of CC3+ on XP before release.
  • LOL...

I like how you transformed Simon's post of "The next version (which isn't for a very long time) is likely to be multi-platform." into a promise.

You do realize that the phrase "is likely to" is actually a strong maybe used when a person would really like something to happen but cannot actually promise it?

Thanks for giving me my chuckle for today.
  • Yeah, I did not read a promise in that either. As they build upon FastCAD, they are kind of limited to what it supports.
    CC3+ will be XP compatible. We are testing it on XP. If you have XP and want to test it, please whisper in this thread.

CC4 is likely to be multiplatform. One option we have, if we consider a mac version to be feasible, would be to do a Kickstarter allowing mac users the chance to support their chosen platform. That would also demonstrate to us one way or another if there is a market for such a thing. I suspect it would have to be a six-figure sum, though.
  • I am glad to hear that it will run on XP, unfortunately XP is loosing total support for an "End of Life" product on April 8th. I would be interested to know how well the new software will run using current processing technology. What would an optimized computer spec sheet look like?
  • Are you guys considering moving from the FastCAD for CC4? I realize this is off in the future type thing.
    Posted By: blatherI am glad to hear that it will run on XP, unfortunately XP is loosing total support for an "End of Life" product on April 8th. I would be interested to know how well the new software will run using current processing technology. What would an optimized computer spec sheet look like?
    This is one for Joe, I think.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    CC3+ will still be a 32-bit program, but having a 64-bit OS and more than 4GB of RAM is still useful due to how 64-bit Windows versions work. For maximum effects processing speed, CC3+ will favor more CPU cores and cache, with memory bandwidth a close second. GPU processing support for effects is unlikely to make it in at this point, so video card is unlikely to make much of a difference. As Simon has pointed out in the past, the exact amount of speedup will be a function of the number and kind of effects used.