New CC3 User - First Maps

Hi Community,

i'm a new user, trying to learn the CC3 Software.
My reason i bought this mapping program is because i will soon lead a Pathfinder Group as DM ( the group and i are also new to Pathfinder ^^ ).

I show you my first Encounter maps i make at the Moment for our first Pathfinder Adventure ( i also write the story myself at the moment ).
The Story is losely based on the Charwood-Castle Jhareg Quest from the PC -Game "Neverwinter Nights" ( i'm sure a few will remember this ).

Comments

• KenGKenG Traveler
    Wow nice. I really like the night map great use of light and colors.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Amazing! Those are beautiful maps. I especially like the lighting of the cave map. Where does the ladder in the cave map lead up to? Does it go to the trap door in the large bedroom of the first floor map?

Absolutely gorgeous. Hard to believe you're new to CC3! Congrats on such a nice first map series.

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • Wow! I wonder how the next maps will look like if these are the first.
    The placement of symbols is very cute and the luminescent fungi are wonderful.
    More, more!
  • Absolutely amazing Lightcaster! Great details.
  • Henrie61Henrie61 Traveler
    Impressed by the lightning in the cave, very well done.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Wonderful work indeed. The lighted cave is a special beauty.
  • ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler
    Great work! Lovely maps!
  • Thanks you all for the nice comments.
    Posted By: Dogtag.....Where does the ladder in the cave map lead up to? Does it go to the trap door in the large bedroom of the first floor map?
    ~Dogtag
    Yep. The trapdoor is leading down there.

I finished a new map called the summon room .
    A few effects were added with photopaint.

It was a bit tricky with saving the picture because there seems to be a bug in CC3 regarding "wall shadows enabled". When i saved the Picture with 2000x2000 pix, the light was cut of in the middle of the room. When i saved it with 1500x1500 pix it was saved correctly.
    The same strange behaviour can be seen at the cave map i posted before. The last tile of the northern and southern effluent of the small lake is darker than it should be ( the water there has the same light Level as the rest of the lake ) . Somehow some lightning infomation was cut off there. Still a bit puzzled what is causing this.

edited May 2013
    Looks amazing. I really like the flares on the candles and on the... gem? (Or whatever that blue thing is in front of the statue.) But I also just like the general lighting and light effects. I think you have a real <*ahem*> flare for it.

Top notch stuff. Orders of magnitude better than my first maps, I can tell you that. (Okay, better than my current maps too...) Your players will go bonkers.

Bravo,
    ~Dogtag
  • Damn them be some good maps you've got there! That pentagram looks real cool. Great job!!
  • Really impressive maps - especially love the lighting effects. Did you achieve that with the lighting annual or with photo-paint?
  • Posted By: anomiecoalitionReally impressive maps - especially love the lighting effects. Did you achieve that with the lighting annual or with photo-paint?
    The things made with Photopaint are the flares, the brighten of the pentagramm and the bitmap of the coal lights. The lightning itself was made with the CC3 point lights and the wall shadow function.
    I use overlapping point lights with different ranges and intensitys.
    The sheets with wall shadows enabled are the walls and the sheet with the columns.

The only thing changed with photopaint at the cave map was darken the earthen walls.
  • edited May 2013
    Well i finished some new maps.

The room of a cleric of Lathander with a, aehm, slight mental disorder. ( I know Lathander doesn't appear in Pathfinder but the morning god begs to differ ;-) )
    In the Original the Pictures on those canvas's are demons out of the Pathfinder Monster book.
    To prevent some CR issues i replaced these, for the Forum pic, with a demon logo of my own design.

Here is study and a library where apparently something bad had happend.
    For those interested: the only photopaint change was coloring the fireplace in the study back to ist grey original color.
    Otherwise it would have a strong yellowish appearance from the point lights.

• 1. Awesome!

2. How did you manipulate the perspective on the canvas?
    Its hard to believe that your new at this :-)

Good maps and awesome lightning.
  • These are your first maps? I dont believe it! They look better tahm the maps that I do =).

Congratulations sir.
    edited May 2013
    Posted By: Mateus090985These are your first maps? I dont believe it! They look better tahm the maps that I do =).

Congratulations sir.
    No kidding, right? These are extraordinary!

There's so much to boggle at, but I'm... er... blown away by that last map and the blast residue in the center of the room. Any chance you could tell us how you achieved that, Lightcaster?

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • edited May 2013
    Firstly, thanks again for the nice comments.
    Posted By: anomiecoalition...

2. How did you manipulate the perspective on the canvas?
    It's just a polygon drawn as a trapezoid. The symbol with the demon picture was then scaled accordingly to fit the "perspective".
    Posted By: Mateus090985These are your first maps? I dont believe it! They look better tahm the maps that I do =).

Congratulations sir.
    Well it may be the first maps with this program but i'm working with graphic programs since many years. I'm an autodidact who learns software casually.
    I also try, even with my first projects using a new graphic tool, to push the software to it's limits. I inflict a steep learning curve on myself. Thats just how i am.
    Posted By: Dogtag

Any chance you could tell us how you achieved that, Lightcaster?

This is just a png from my personal texture library copied and rotated a few times. It sits on a sheet with a transparency effect.
    There are a few of those "crack" png's used in my last pictures to loosen up the repeating ground texture.

I got those png's and many other such brushes from either free sources or, in this case, i bought them.
    I would give you a link to the collection but i don't know if it's ok to link to a different commercial site from here.
    The Artist calls himself Deviney and has a few quality brush collections at DAZ3d for sale. They normally sell 3d-Objects for Poser and such but they also have such brush collections.
    These are normally compact ABR files for Photoshop but with a free programm called ABRViewer the Png's can be viewed and extracted for other uses ( i don't own Photoshop, just it's little ( and cheaper ) sister Corel Photopaint ). And so i made a personal symbol collection with such png's in CC3.

Offtopic:
    For those interested: In my last Fan-Art which i made for the Game Path of Exile, i used a lot of those png's for the waves
    Fanart: The Witch
    Thanks. I'm curious to know how your players react to the maps you're going to throw at them! image

~Dogtag
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Feel free to post links to commercial artwork collections, if they can be useful in mapping with CC3.
  • 6 days later
  • edited June 2013
    Hi Community,

had a few days of a involuntary hiatus. We had a bad flood here in southern Germany and a bit of work cleaning up the wet cellar.
    But nethertheless this didn't stop me from producing more maps ^^.

Here is an Auditorium ( original CC3 Render )

And here the same Auditorium after ..... some kind of Incident.

The only things done with Photopaint here were the lightning bolts and adjustment of the contrast. Everything else is from CC3.

For those who are interested:
    The fog and lightning png's used in the picture were extracted of the commercial Photoshop Brush sets " Tornados" and "Hydro Explosions" from this Artist here :
    Devineys Photoshop Brushes
  • I've heard about the flood in Germany, awful. Hope you're okay!

Anyway, wonderful maps Lightcaster! Fantastic.
    The second auditorium map is just gorgeous.
    edited June 2013
    Not to mention eerie.
  • 1 month later
  • Omigosh! These are gorgeous! Do you have tutorials on how to get the amazing underground lighting effects? I absolutely love the luminescent fungi, and then the wonderful light and shadow play that you're getting. How did you do it??