Pirate map

Here is a Pirate map I recently drew up. I feel like it is missing something but I can't put my finger on it so I'm looking for some help.

Thanks,

Ken

Comments

• edited June 2013
    I think a pirate map should go straight to the point so I don't see anything missing : It really feels like a swashbuckler's prop.
    Overstriking the name of the original owner is funny and also very romantic-pirate-like.

Perhaps you could center the landmass by considering the low importance of the southern islands (ie move the main island a bit downward and a little bit to the left?).
    The red ink's blur makes it difficult to read, maybe at full scale it doesn't show that much?
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Yeah, I dunno. I like it as it is. I, too, like the struck out name. And I also really like the instructions near the bottom. I suppose you could maybe add a few waves to the water if you wanted. But I think it looks terrific!

Out of curiosity, is there any way to change the fonts used for the compass and the scale? They seem rather modern and out of place.

~Dogtag
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Thanks guys
    The compass is a letter matching the original title of the map with a sword symbol over it.
    The scale is from the treasure style" I could chage it and draw it over but I can't change the font directly.but I see what you mean maybe a photoshop is needed.
    Thanks
  • edited June 2013
    Posted By: KenGbut I can't change the font directly
    You just need to explode the symbol, then you can edit the text.
    Alternatively use the symbol manager to edit the symbol.
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    edited June 2013
    Ok some tweaks have been done, let me know if I went too far..

Thanks,

Ken
  • Henrie61Henrie61 Traveler
    I like it.
    Good map for a "find the treasure" adventure.
  • edited June 2013
    A small detail perhaps, the Jester might not be too serious but I don't think he'll write the coordinates over an insignifiant island (bottom left) :=)
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    This looks really nice, like something I'd expect from a commercial product.

Bravo!
    ~Dogtag
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Thanks for the kind words and positive feedback.
    I've modified the coordinates, (and who is to say that the little island is really insignificant???) did you do a search on those coordinates to see what is really there?? I didn't but it might be interesting to see lol

Ken
  • Henrie61Henrie61 Traveler
    The coordinates put you somewhere in the middle of India (used zeroes for the seconds).
  • 8 days later
  • Dig it....big fan of parchment maps
    I also do the parchment fill with landmasses which I think creates a new effect

My one suggestion would be to maybe make the dotted line and the horizontal alignment of Smuggler's Den text to look a bit less prefect if the intent is for it to appear hand drawn at a later time....but really those are minor things.
  • edited June 2013
    Great map KenG. I love how the background parchment gets lighter towards the middle, how did you do this? Several layers of glow?