First Herwin Wielink Map

Hey everyone!

This is my first map in the Wielink style. Its still in progress but I was just
wondering if you guys could help me out with some professional advice/ critical comments...

By the way: The map will not be used for a role-play game but for a novel.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Hey there Tilor! Could you also upload an image? I'm really curious and I can't open the file right now ;)
  • edited June 2013
    Hey Leviathus!

here it comes:
  • edited June 2013
    maybe a pdf will do better:
  • If the novel is half as good as the map, count me on!
    I really love the landmass shape.
    The resolution is a bit small to comment more, but perhaps some feature, like the marsh? in the middle could benefit from a edge fade effect.
  • Hey Joachim de Ravenbel,

thank you :) Could you specify your comment about the edge fade effect? Like: Inner/ outer / parameters?
    Thank you for your intrest in the story. I have to admit that I am just at the beginning and that it will be in German ;)
  • Posted By: TilorCould you specify your comment about the edge fade effect? Like: Inner/ outer / parameters?
    I would use an Edge Fade, Inner effect, with an inner opacity of 100% and outer opacity of 0%. The width depends on your scale and you'll probably have to experiment a bit to find the best one.
    Posted By: TilorI have to admit that I am just at the beginning and that it will be in German ;)
    Well my German is a bit rusted but it won't be the first novel I read in German. Viel Glück!
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    The resolution is too high for me to make out many details (I'm grabbing the PDF for later viewing) but, WOW! I really really like the coastlines. That's one of the hardest things to do, I think, and you did an outstanding job. I also really like the shading in the ocean.

Bravo,
    ~Dogtag
  • Nice work Tilor! I really dig the mountain ranges! You sure put a lot of work in it. Very nice.
  • Thanks you guys! I do appreciate your thoughts and constructive feedback! Just one more question:
    If you liked something - why? Is there something that looks too regular (e.g. the forrests) or
    impossible (e.g. river flows)? Do you feel like you are "falling" into the map and could imagine walking around their beating the hell out of a dragon ...
    I was also wondering if their are any parts of the map that look too empty/ full/ and so on...
    Are their too many/ less forrests/ settelements/ special sites (I know its small but is it possible for you to see it in the pdf-version)?

Thanks (its always great to get in contact with people that have a passion)
    Tilor
  • Mapping progress continues. Special thanks to Joachim de Ravenbel!

- still greatful for every single advice!
    Tilor
  • Henrie61Henrie61 Traveler
    Really nice map.
    Agree with Dogtag, the coast lines are well done.

Dont know if its appropriate, but maybe you could add a few of the major sea traveling/trading routes.
  • Posted By: Henrie61Really nice map.
    Agree with Dogtag, the coast lines are well done.

Dont know if its appropriate, but maybe you could add a few of the major sea traveling/trading routes.
    I sure will try that one. It may gives it a bit more life an the feeling that there is something out there... Thank you!
  • Again, wonderful work Tilor! This map really makes me want to explore the place! And I hope to see it in bigger resolution (I want to see those little places up close) ;)

Are you planning to name the cities and towns btw? Or just leave it as it is?
  • Posted By: LeviathusAre you planning to name the cities and towns btw? Or just leave it as it is?
    I will do that in the end ;) Why? What would you suggest?
  • And I thought it was almost finished ;)

But yes, I think you should stick some name labels in there :D
  • Hey there you guys,

after a long sunday the map looks like this (your critizism is appreciated!):
  • Hmm... IMO the font for the regions (like Barrond, Durion etc.) is a bit too large and they are not very readable. And are you using two fonts? Maybe it's better to stick with just one font... But it's not really a nuisance.

I actually like the blue sea!
  • Posted By: Leviathusthe font for the regions (like Barrond, Durion etc.) is a bit too large and they are not very readable.
    yeah, now that you mentoined it. I will fix that...
    Posted By: LeviathusAnd are you using two fonts? Maybe it's better to stick with just one font.
    I just thought to use a more readable font for the cities and I kind of like the two fonts... but I will sleep a night over it ;)

Again, THANK YOU - I really like your constructive feedback!
  • Oh - and: Leviathus, which one of the two fonts would you prefere?
  • How change the size of the text labels without deleting them?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2013
    Use Numeric Edit [EDIT]. It is the button in the left toolbars with the #-symbol in a box. This allows you to edit all the text properties.
    Or, if you just want to change the size, you can use the regular Scale [SCA] command. It works just as well on text as with other entities.
  • edited June 2013
    Posted By: TilorOh - and: Leviathus, which one of the two fonts would you prefere?
    I think I like the city font... But I don't know if it'll be still readable when its on a curve...

I believe you can edit the size with the "Edit Properties" tool. But perhaps a CC3 veteran could be more of assistance.

[EDIT: ah! Monsen beat me to it]
  • I would actually decrease the size of the text a bit too.

The landscape map is mindblowing !!
    Gorgeous. I do like the addition of the shipping lanes. I didn't think I would but I think you chose a good number of them to map.

Out of curiosity, what are the units used in the scale?
  • Thanks you guys!
    I am working on the text labels but probably wont have time until sunday.
    The units in the scale are "Weitschritt" =great step or big step which is similar to cilometers.
    Would you scale the map up or down or leave it as it is? This is supposed to be a continent
    but I still want my characters to come around quikly since they rely on foot or horseback.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    It's really a wonderful first map!

On the font, in my opinion your choice is a bit too elaborate for general labeling. It's great for the title (the "Eudorion), but becomes too hard to read as the size decreases for the other labels. I'd check for a simpler font to use and keep this one only for the title. Just my 2 cents.
  • Did a few alterations. What du you guys think of it?
    Wow. I like that much more. It's far and away much more legible. Absolutely gorgeous.

And, hey, where'd you get that sea monster by the scale? It looks great!

~Dogtag
  • Very nice! That "city font" looks pretty good! :D