Trying out the May Annual Issue ...

Here is a map using some of the symbols from the May Cartographer's Annual Issue. Full scale version can be found here.

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    edited May 2013
    Looks really nice. And setting the path symbols aside, it's also a really nice map! I really dig the fire symbol by the shipwreck. I like the battle symbols too. Are those part of the style?

Congrats on another beautiful map.

~Dogtag
    I just realized you used the parchment-map-style background for your legend box. That's inspired!

*doffs cap*

~Dogtag
    edited May 2013
    AND... I recognize this as part of the map on your blog site. Took a sec because of the different style from the ones I saw last time I was there. Very nice.

I gotta lie down. A lot of overwhelming going on during today's forum browsing... image

~Dogtag
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Love it. That's how I imagined that Annual issue to be applied!
  • Henrie61Henrie61 Traveler
    Yep, this shows a grat way to use the may annual.

And besides that. Nice map too.
  • Nice usage of these symbols and of the parchment background!

The only thing you could say is that the color pattern of the symbols doesn't match the map colors , but that is a mere detail.
  • @Dogtag - yep, the base map is using the December 12 style from the Annual - I love that style :)

@Moskva - I wanted the colours to be a strong contrast from the more muted colours of the style, but maybe could be toned in a bit more?

Anyway, thanks for the comments!
    Personally, I like the colors of the markers because they do contrast while not being overly bright or distracting.

~Dogtag
  • @Dogtag - just noticed your question re the battle symbols - actually this symbol was 'stolen' from the Jon Roberts Midgard style from April.

I have always loved battle symbols - I got into wargaming as a young teen, before I started role-playing, and I used to devour 'historical atlas' type books. The May symbols would be great for this type of map.
    Posted By: TolrendorDM@Dogtag - just noticed your question re the battle symbols - actually this symbol was 'stolen' from the Jon Roberts Midgard style from April.

I have always loved battle symbols - I got into wargaming as a young teen, before I started role-playing, and I used to devour 'historical atlas' type books. The May symbols would be great for this type of map.
    Agreed. And thanks for the info on that symbol. If you like battle plans and such, do you have, or have you seen, Annual #32 Napoleonic Battle Maps and Annual #35 Military Symbols? I think the May '13 issue would complement #32 especially nicely.

~Dogtag