Making a Roof?

I'm working on a reasonably large Abbey complex (about 400' x 300') that will have multiple buildings inside. Since this would be an obnoxious size to try to print out at battle grid scale, I thought that I would make one map that would give an overview and others zoomed into specific buildings. So...I though that I would have roofs on the buildings in the overview map...and i'm trying to figure out what the best way to do that is.

Wondering if any of you guys have experience doing a roof and/or have suggestions. Here is shot of my first pass at this today. The top sheet is the roof spine with and rounded bevel and slight outer glow. Below that is a roof tile sheet with inner glow and drop shadow.

Comments

• KenGKenG Traveler
    I have nothing that can help as I have the same questions myself, but I look forward to seeing how yours turns out.
  • Round 2...changed the texture (mostly cause I can't think of a way to make tiles face the correct direction)...added a smaller spine on the edges...and extended the roof line to past the wall. Also add more inner glow to the roof tile.
  • Round 3...(really need to wait a little bit more before I post updates)...

I created a third sheet for the "lower spine" which also has the bevel and slight outer glow...but is placed below the roof tile sheet so that looks darker (and hopefully at a lower elevation than the regular spines).

I also wanted to test out this approach to the roof on a less irregularly shaped building since i'm not entirely sure that my roof lines makes any sense in the first building.
  • edited May 2014
    Posted By: anomiecoalitionRound 2...changed the texture (mostly cause I can't think of a way to make tiles face the correct direction)...
    Personnaly, I liked the first texture better.
    CC3 has a very nice way to render roofs (like in CD3) : draw each part of the roof as a polygon, then right-click the Polygon icon and chose Shaded polygon. Select the relevant polygon and *do it*.
    The command prompts for 2 values :
    Angle : wich is the top down view angle (0->east, 90->north, 180->west, 270->south). Please note that for some reason the untouched fill style is already considered 90 so if you type 0, the texture rotates)
    Pitch angle : wich is the slope of the roof (0->flat roof, carefull, it lights the texture considerably, 45->common slope in mountain/hills area, under 45, hotter areas with low rain/snow, I've encountered higher slopes than 45 in the alps where there is heavy snow).

Hope it helps, I'd really love to see the first roof texture applied :)

JdR
  • anomiecoalitionanomiecoalition Traveler
    edited February 2013
    You just totally made my day - *suppose that would sound pretty lame to non-mappers :) Can't believe I never noticed that function before...I imagine there's all sorts of creative uses for it.

Here is a version (last one for the night, I promise) with the shaded polygon. (I discovered that apparently the shaded polygons don't like the glow effect, so I took that off). The only other add-on from the last post was a little gradient image added to the spines....and a darken effect from RGB matrix on the roof tile.

*I'm also attaching the roof texture I used (I color modified it from a post on Dunjinni, though I'm 99% sure that it was originally from CGtextures.com). I'm also attaching the little gradient I made to use for ramps and now roofs.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Excellent stuff. You can also use the CD3 house tool to draw a complete and complex roof shape in one go, then edit details afterwards.
  • Posted By: Joachim de Ravenbel
    Posted By: anomiecoalitionRound 2...changed the texture (mostly cause I can't think of a way to make tiles face the correct direction)...
    Personnaly, I liked the first texture better.
    CC3 has a very nice way to render roofs (like in CD3) : draw each part of the roof as a polygon, then right-click the Polygon icon and chose Shaded polygon. Select the relevant polygon and *do it*.
    The command prompts for 2 values :
    Angle : wich is the top down view angle (0->east, 90->north, 180->west, 270->south). Please note that for some reason the untouched fill style is already considered 90 so if you type 0, the texture rotates)
    Pitch angle : wich is the slope of the roof (0->flat roof, carefull, it light the texture considerably, 45->common slope in mountain/hills area, under 45, hotter areas with low rain/snow, I've encountered higher slopes than 45 in the alps where there is heavy snow).

Hope it helps, I'd really love to see the first roof texture applied :)

JdR
    Thank you for this. I had no idea this existed despite using several other right click menu's from the drawing tools. I think I'm going to have to go through and learn all the useful right click menus.
  • Glad I could help. It would have been a shame not to use this texture. Thanks for posting it!
  • KenGKenG Traveler
    Super, I have been wondering how to do this and just sort of putting it off till later.

Thanks so much.

Ken
  • Sorry, I'm too astounded to provide anything but open mouthed astonishment.
  • Thanks guys, I'll start a new thread for the map once I get a little further along...

In the meantime...is there any way to simply copy a sheet (not the items within a sheet...but the actual sheet with its effects and everything?)...Just asking cause it would be a time saver...
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler