REINOS IMORTAIS - World Map

Hello Hive Mind!

I am here to take a new look, and hopelly finish, an old project of mine. It is my Fantasy setting Reinos Imortais (+- low fantasy in spirit). Here I have the landmasses in what I think is a finished version. I wiil do the mountains using altitude curves, so my next update will be all the 500 - 1000 m terrain.

And here is my colour palete for the altitudes.

Comments

• Mateus090985Mateus090985 Traveler
    edited January 2013
    DELETED: Old version.
  • Posted By: MoskvaLooks great Mateus!
    Thank you Moskva! I really appreciat your comment =). The 1001 - 2000 m contour is comming soon (maybe today).
  • Yeah, really looking forward to seeing how this develops...really love the overall composition of the landmass
    edited January 2013
  • Is this just a terrain map or will you add cities, forests , borders ? Maybe heraldic shields ?
    edited January 2013
    Posted By: MoskvaIs this just a terrain map or will you add cities, forests , borders ? Maybe heraldic shields ?
    I just dont know yet what level of detail I will put. It is a big map. I will probably only put capitals, I pretend to put shields for each nation and borders. I will draw rivers and lakes but dont know what to do with the terrains (forests, plains, swamps, deserts...). I am still looking for a suitable style for them.

EDIT: Thinking again, I dont know if I will have space to put shields...
    edited January 2013
    edited January 2013
  • Great design. Reminds me of Ice's ShadowWorld.
  • Posted By: Joachim de Ravenbelo
    But now I dont know how to do the rest. The rivers and terrains that I am trying dont mess well...
  • Just do the rivers in the same color as the ocean. Maybe with a darker blue glow ?

Forests > Fantasy world style scaled down + transparency ? Might work not sure...
  • I am thinking in doing not much on his one. Altitude, principal rivers and lakes, the big cultural regions and probably things like ocean currens and terrain. What you guys tink? After all it is a hole world. Them I do regional maps pointing the kingdons, cities, etc.
  • Leaving things very general for a map this size is undoubtedly sensible, if nothing trying to add too much detail will mean a level of zooming in that is counter-productive as without a huge file no-one would be able to get a close enough look to see any of the details.
  • Yep, I should just stick to terrain, rivers, regions etc.

Anyway, your map is really coming along! Good work.
    edited January 2013
    Posted By: BwenGunLeaving things very general for a map this size is undoubtedly sensible, if nothing trying to add too much detail will mean a level of zooming in that is counter-productive as without a huge file no-one would be able to get a close enough look to see any of the details.
    I will print it in something like 2m x 1m but, even on this scale I cant put too much detail. The basic layout is an old project, when I though that one map had to have ALL details of my world. Thas is why there are a lot of very small islands for example. That is also why the terrain is VERY fractialized (even my modern computer is suffering to render the map...). But I just dont want to throw it out because I loved the layout of the world.
  • Love the layout of the world.
    In my opinion lots of islands equals a lot of adventure possibilities. So well done.

Don't worry to much about rivers.
    At this size they should be barely noticable.

Go to google earth and zoom out so that you can see the both americas in full.
    Then try to find the bigger rivers, you can't, on this scale they are too small.
    Only the bigger lakes and inland seas are visible.
    edited January 2013
    Here is an early version 1.5. I have begun to put the primary rivers and made a test with a few secundary and tertiary ones. I will put the finished 1.5 later, on this same post, with all primaly rivers done.

EDIT: Old version.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    *is humbled*

This looks amazing. did you make every landmass "by hand" or did you import this from Fractal Terrains? If you did this all manually, you can count me triple-impressed. It looks magnificent.

~Dogtag
  • Posted By: Dogtag*is humbled*

This looks amazing. did you make every landmass "by hand" or did you import this from Fractal Terrains? If you did this all manually, you can count me triple-impressed. It looks magnificent.

~Dogtag
    My approache to do this was to generate ladmasses in FT and them export them to CC3 and rotate, fractalize, resize them and cute/paste on the actual map. Some of the islands are indeed "lakes contours" exported from FT. But well... there is A LOT of manual job there. And hours of random generation.
    edited January 2013
    Preliminary 1.6 version. Now putting secondary rivers and the biggest lakes.

EDIT: Old version.
  • GatharGathar Traveler
    I think there are only two thing I might expect to see at such a scale:
    - A rough indication of vegetation, such as ice, toundra, deserts, in between. I do not know how I would add it to such a map, though. Maybe with the satellite style of annual 6, I don't have it, so cannot say. But that would probably require a complete redraw...
    - Some indication of political borders. Maybe not every country (for instance, you may have just on area for Europe, and not try to draw each European country.
  • Posted By: GatharI think there are only two thing I might expect to see at such a scale:
    - A rough indication of vegetation, such as ice, toundra, deserts, in between. I do not know how I would add it to such a map, though. Maybe with the satellite style of annual 6, I don't have it, so cannot say. But that would probably require a complete redraw...
    - Some indication of political borders. Maybe not every country (for instance, you may have just on area for Europe, and not try to draw each European country.
    I am finishing the bodies of water. Them I will try the terrain abd the ocean contours. I plan to indicate "Cultural Regions", but not individual countrys.
    edited January 2013
    1.7 is here. I am not with much time for mapping... but here is the rivers and lakes "done". I will put more water in he next steps, but all the fundamentall bodies of water are on map. I definilly need more lakes, but them can wait. Now I will try terrains
    edited January 2013
    Preliminary version of 1.8 is here. I am testing terrains and the Fantasy Worlds was the best so far. Have not tryed forests, because I am with very little mapping time. Also made some obvious changes and improved rivers/lakes. Tell me what you think.
  • I actually really like the black background! Its original and gives the map a nice contrast.
  • Thank you Anomiecoalition.

The terrains are not turning well... Sugestions? I can also simply do not put it, but maybe it will be a bit empty. What you think I can put in the map? I am putting the regional divisions "cultural regions" as I call it, because the country divions would be too much for this scale.

Maybe just what is already there and things like tropicos lines and cean currents? No terrain?
  • yeah, its a tough one here...I don't think textures are gonna work at all at this scale. I would try experimenting more with colors.

Although I love the black, perhaps a really dark navy blue for the ocean (and slightly lighter navy blue for the coasts) would work well. I think your desert/plains areas turned out well (the tan color areas). Perhaps replacing the green in your height map gradient to brown? Doing this would at least allow you to have light greens for grass, dark greens for forests, and really dark greens/blues for tropical areas and swamps.

On the other hand, you could try to superimpose hatching patterns over your colors to designate the type of terrain.

On the third hand...it does look fantastic as is...so you might just add a border and call it a day....and then dazzle us with some close up maps of the regions in this world.
  • Sorry, but what is a "hatching pattern"? The term does not says much to me.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    It is basically a pattern made up from simple vector entities. You can access simple hatch fills from the fill style dialog --> scalable hatching. Drawing tools can use a more complicated version however, these are simply CC3 map files loaded as patterns (Obviously, these are specially designed to work as patterns, but they are no more than ordinary map files)