1st Map - WoodHaven

I purchased CC3 and some addons about a month back (Awesome program). This is my 1st map. A little old at this point. I did it the 1st week I had the program but never gotten around to posting it here. I have since then been messing around with creating my own symbols.

Was rather pleased with result, but never quite satisfied with the roads, all the default ones I found were too "strict" rigid, and wanted more of a path type, that blended a little with the background. So this was was my 1st attempt.

Comments

• I think it is a rich looking map. Nice colors, nice placement of the buildings. Gives me the feeling like something you could accidentally come across.
    JSM
  • Very nice, I like the Twisted Troll! :-)

Nils
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Agreed, this is a wonderful little map, all the more so because it's your first! Wow!

I like the stockade fencing and I especially like the placement and variation of your buildings. Bravo, and welcome to the forums!

~Dogtag
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    It looks very natural and realistic. I like it a lot!
  • I really like the way the settlement interacts with the forest, and I like the aesthetics of this map. However, something disturbs me, and I think after looking for some time at your map I now know what it is: I do not understand the nature of this settlement.

If it were a village living mostly out of what its inhabitant would grow or hunt or gather, it would need more crops, more garden, and most importantly, there would not be so many infrastructure buildings in such a small village. One tavern for 8 houses is already quite a lot, but 2 taverns ! And some barracks, and other buildings ! The maths don't seem to work for this hypothesis.

If it were a place for people to rest for the night, along a very travelled road, a kind of caravanserai, it would probably contain more features to welcome the customer.

If it were a military outpost, the defences would be more important (at least some small wooden towers to watch over the fence.

By the way, I cannot see how they get water, but maybe drawing a well at this scale would not really fit, so never mind...
  • Posted By: GatharI really like the way the settlement interacts with the forest, and I like the aesthetics of this map. However, something disturbs me, and I think after looking for some time at your map I now know what it is: I do not understand the nature of this settlement.

If it were a village living mostly out of what its inhabitant would grow or hunt or gather, it would need more crops, more garden, and most importantly, there would not be so many infrastructure buildings in such a small village. One tavern for 8 houses is already quite a lot, but 2 taverns ! And some barracks, and other buildings ! The maths don't seem to work for this hypothesis.

If it were a place for people to rest for the night, along a very travelled road, a kind of caravanserai, it would probably contain more features to welcome the customer.

If it were a military outpost, the defences would be more important (at least some small wooden towers to watch over the fence.

By the way, I cannot see how they get water, but maybe drawing a well at this scale would not really fit, so never mind...

All good points. I have to admit, I really struggle with adding the realistic details into the map, fields, and livestock pens, distract me from it, so went with muted community garden, and pasture instead. I wanted more of a vague idea.

Its merely a leftover town from an old battlement, as the realm expanded further it became less important, hence the trees encroaching along the sides, although it gives the lookout a chance to hide beneath its boughs. The river actually is just on the other side of the road(everytime I put it in, I hated it. Something I need to work on, never made it esthetically pleasing enough.)

Its a main road for that part of the area, caught between true civilization and the wilds, but still not much, a couple travelers a week, nothing more, but once a true outpost, hence the extra buildings, and they occasionally host troops for the nights as they continue Manifest Destiny.

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate them all. Great forum.