Fenlon Style Map

I've been experimenting with re-doing maps in different styles to test see how the style affects the feel of the world being created. This is a re-do of a map in the Pete Fenlon style. It is based on another map I did of the same world (http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2622&page=1#Item_12). Feed back welcome.

Comments

• MedioMedio Surveyor
    It´s not a style i like, specially considering the beautiful ones we have got lately, but you´re really making a great job, very smart placing the symbols, etc ... thumbs up.
  • A river flows out of a cave northeast of Wolfskin and Helmswood and then splits and flows in two different directions. That's OK if you want to do it, but it's absolutely unrealistic. Real rivers flow together. They don't split apart.

Furthermore, the southernmost of these rivers flows a long way and then disappears in some hills (or perhaps small mountains). There are a number of real rivers that never reach the sea, contrary to popular belief. Most flow into a lake that has no outflow. Some of the water evaporates, some percolates into the water table. There are a few rivers that flow along the surface and then vanish beneath it again after flowing into a cave. But I doubt that you'll find a real river anywhere that flows into a set of hills and vanishes.

There's yet another problem by Wingsbluff. Some real rivers certainly do form a delta as they reach the coast, but nowhere near as far upstream as your river does. As a result, this ends up being another river that splits, unrealistically, making three rivers out of one.

Nix für Ungut, as we say here.
  • Henrie61Henrie61 Traveler
    edited October 2012
    Good map, like it a lot.

@vintyri, did it occur to you that the river could be flowing from the hills towards Helmswood.
  • Gorgeous map especially if you want a classic style.
  • The style might be classic but the render is truly marvelous! It's a map that really *talks* to me.
  • Posted By: Henrie61Good map, like it a lot.

@vintyri, did it occur to you that the river could be flowing from the hills towards Helmswood.
    Look at the map again. This suggestion clearly makes no sense. To the northeast is a lake at the foot of mountains, which make clear that this is a higher level of land than the rest of the rivers' courses. The mountain lake cannot help but be the source of the rivers, unless, of course, you employ magic and have the river(s) flow uphill.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Yes, the lake appears as the source of the river, but I think only the river meeting looks misleading. It is not a split, it's a join. The tributary comes from Helmswood and joins the river coming down from the lake, flowing on to the sea. I think the join just needs little nudge to make this clearer, and that river is perfectly fine.

I love the map, thanks a lot for sharing!
  • Posted By: RalfIt is not a split, it's a join. The tributary comes from Helmswood and joins the river coming down from the lake, flowing on to the sea. I think the join just needs little nudge to make this clearer, and that river is perfectly fine

Gruaß Di' Gott Ralf!

Yup. That would do the trick. But it needs to be done to make the map realistic.
  • Posted By: RalfYes, the lake appears as the source of the river, but I think only the river meeting looks misleading. It is not a split, it's a join. The tributary comes from Helmswood and joins the river coming down from the lake, flowing on to the sea. I think the join just needs little nudge to make this clearer, and that river is perfectly fine.

I love the map, thanks a lot for sharing!
    Yes. youre right.
  • ModricModric Traveler
    Thanks for the comments. I still have difficulty with my rivers!
  • 6 days later
  • Gorgeous. I bet it would look very nice printed out on canvas or something.
  • If I may ask, what font did you use? I did a Fenlon-style map using the included font, but I think I like yours better...