First village build

Here is my first crack at the city building with the CD3 add on. Found this a lot more dificult than the campaign level maps. Something strange I can not get glow to work on the hills between the buildings.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• Henrie61Henrie61 Traveler
    edited October 2012
    Very nice map.
    Like the way you did building number 1.

The whole layout of the town is a bit to neat for my taste.
    People usually don't build that way.

And I would like to see a few more trees here and there.

There seems to be a little glow on the hills.
    Experiment with the sheet effect. Double the values and see what that does.
    Thats usually the way I do it. Or hide all other sheets, that way you can see the effect better.
  • New update got the fades working and added in the water wheel and dock
  • Hi,

I like the map a lot - it seems to be a very tidy and neat town! :-)

You could add some single trees and maybe a few orchards in the free space to the rear of some houses, or generally some vegetation. The significant buildings (those with numbers next to them) seem to be gathered in the center too much - maybe there are some shops or builders among the houses to the left? Also, could the main roads leading to and from the town (and market!) be larger/wider?

Finally, the effect where the land meets the water seems strange (it follows the border, which looks funny).

Regards,
    Nils
  • I agree with everything that Nils said, but feel you have the beginnings of a great town.

The CD3 tools are great for laying down the basics of a city, but I've found that it takes a good deal more fiddling with things to make it look more natural. As an example, even in modern cities the buildings are not lined up at the exact same distance from the road. Dragging a few of the buildings back a bit at different distances make it look like they were built at different times and allows for a tree or two in front of them, as well as behind. The occasional empty lot between helps also.
  • I actually have about 18 years of notes and a pile of old sketches but this whole thing feels like a total redo lol

1. Saw Mill
    2. Market
    3. Ye olde watering hole
    4. raft keepers
    5. Tavern. The dead herring
    6. Cobblers
    7. Barber / Dentist
    8. Bowyer
    9. Weaver shop
    10. Potter shop
    11. Mason yard
    12. Woodworkers shop / yard
    13. Pawnshop
    14. Leather workers
    15. Inn. The Smiling Fish
    16. Herbalist
    17. Blacksmith
    18. Keep Danadon
  • Some updates just wish I had more time to work on my maps in the last few days
  • Keen, the changes are perfect! It now looks like a warm and cozy little village; not so rigid. The river contours are also very good.

Love it!
  • This map gets better and better.
    Like the layout of the village a lot more now.
  • edited October 2012
    I have been trying to find a way to put in a good representation of the lumber yard for the mill but its proving tricky. They often have a lot of logs on land near the mill and in the river nearby as they are shipped down river to Dargoth

Actually if anyone is interested here's a site for the game setting I have been toying with

http://brianmichaluk.wix.com/dargoth
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    It was nice before but, wow, it's amazing what a few tweaks will do. The first one looked a little "mechanical" and this last one looks much more organic! Very nice.

~Dogtag
  • Great map! Great village!

If I were an in-game character, I'd want to own one of the large houses at the cozy, tree-filled dead-end street just north of the raft keepers'. It really seems like a nice spot.

~Nils
  • pdjpdj Traveler
    Posted By: KeenI have been trying to find a way to put in a good representation of the lumber yard for the mill but its proving tricky. They often have a lot of logs on land near the mill and in the river nearby as they are shipped down river to Dargoth
    You might try taking a look at the Vintyri Project (http://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/index.htm) if you haven't already.

Their OGL 3.5 vector stuff would likely match the style, and includes logs and sawn wood for sawmills. If
    nothing else the documentation is worth a look as it has some fascinating photos of original buildings :)

Peter

ps your city is coming on a treat!
  • Posted By: pdjhttp://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/index.htm
    Ohhh I have all their stuff downloaded and installed in my Dundjinni I had not even though of using them for vector stuff just PNG before. I will take a look, thanks!
  • With the changes (clutter, vegetation, etc) I think its pretty sweet. Looks much more lived in and balance now. Nice Job.
  • 23 days later
  • edited November 2012