Return of the CSUAC!

**** Please note that these instructions are for CC3. For instructions on installing the CSUAC to CC3+ please see THIS THREAD.

Thanks to the encouragement and input from ProFantasy and the generosity of Mark Oliva from the Vintyri Project, I am happy to announce the return of the CSUAC Symbol package for CC3. Mark has given us permission to use the FM8 version of the CSUAC files to build a new CC3 version of the symbol package.

Before I get into the installation procedure for the package, I want to first point out that if you already have the CSUAC there is no need to reinstall since there are no new symbols. However, the directory structure is different from prior versions, so the two are not compatible. What this means is that any maps using symbols from prior versions will show red X's for the symbols (the reverse is true as well). This is because the new CC3 version of the CSUAC is using the file structure and files from the Fractal Mapper 8 version of the package.

Also, please note that these symbols are not full fledged CC3/DD3/CD3 symbols. That is, they are not smart symbols, nor do they use random transformations, shading, collections, etc. They are simply the PNG files and associated CC3 catalogs.

CSUAC for CC3 Installation Instructions

STEP 1: Downloading all necessary files

1. Download the file CSUAC_for_CC3_v3.zip from the bottom of this post and save to your hard drive.

2. Download all of the CSUAC FM8 files from the
www.vintyri.org
website and save to your hard drive.

The files needed are:
BL_FM8_Fills.zip
BL1_FM8.zip
BL2_FM8.zip
BL3_FM8.zip
BL4_FM8.zip
BL5Pt1_FM8.zip
BL5Pt2_FM8.zip
BL6_FM8.zip
BL8Pt1_FM8.zip
BL8Pt1_FM8.zip

NOTE: There is no BL7_FM8.zip file

STEP 2: Extract Files

1. Unzip the CSUAC_forCC3_v3.zip file into your root CC3 Folder. This will create several new folders:

CC3\Bitmaps\CSUAC Fills
CC3\Symbols\CSUAC
CC3\Menu\csuac_menu

2. Extract the file BL_FM8_Fills.zip into the CC3\Bitmaps\CSUAC Fills folder.

3. Extract the files BL1_FM8.zip through BL8Pt2_FM8.zip into the CC3\Symbols\CSUAC folder.

STEP 3: Adding Menu Buttons for the CSUAC

1. Navigate to your root CC3 folder

*If you don't have a fcw32.imn file in this directory

Copy the fcw32.imn file from CC3\Menu\csuac_menu into your root CC3 folder.

* If you do have the file fcw32.imn in the root CC3 directory

Navigate to the folder CC3\Menu\csuac_menu
Open the fcw32.imn file using Notepad.
Append (copy/paste) the contents of this file to your existing fcw32.imn file in the CC3 root directory.
Make sure you don't leave any empty lines inside the file, but do make sure there is a line break after the last line of content, or CC3 will crash on startup.

2. Start CC3. Click the screen tools button (Hammer icon at the bottom of the screen), and turn on "Custom icon bar 3". I have mine placed to the left.

3. If the new toolbar shows up blank, just restart CC3 or click on one of the "Add-on" buttons in the toobar. This will reload the menu.

The symbols are now ready for use.

Working with the PNG bitmap fills is a little more complicated and I will describe the process in another post. I wanted to get this posted first so that everyone could start downloading. :)

Comments

• VintyriVintyri Newcomer
    As Shessar mentioned,the symbol and fill style content of the FM8 version of the CSUAC and the last CC3 version are identical in all respects. There is nothing newer or older and nothing more or less in the FM8 version. Shessar's tool simply makes the FM8 version that we are authorized to host fully accessible in CC3, just as the CC3 version was.

Our site is on the German Telekom business servers in Germany. It has been in operation for 13 years. Troubles have been few and trivial. If anyone here has any difficulty with our website, please let me know immediately. Use this mail address:

info@vintyri.org

I'm glad to see that CC3 users can access the CSUAC properly again.
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    Mark and Gerri, thank you very much! Your efforts are greatly appreciated. :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Great work. Glad to see this finally available again.
  • I will probably have my new computer runig today. So i will reinstall everything and check this. thank you.
    Correction:

Shessar spelled our Internet address for the FM8 version incorrectly. The correct address is:

http://www.vintyri.org

If you click the link on the misspelled address above, it works fine. If you type in the misspelled address, however, your machine will tilt.
    I edited her post to fix that mistake now.
  • edited August 2012
    Oops! Sorry about the typo. Thanks for the fix Monsen.

Working with the CSUAC Fills Part 1

The png fills that are in the CSUAC were originally created for the Dundjinni mapping software. Because Dundjinni uses random tiling for its fills there are multiple versions of each fill style delineated by a letter suffix.

To use the fills in CC3 it is best to delete all but the first of these files. It is not mandatory that you do this, it just makes it easier to find the different fill styles after import into CC3. Note that some fills have only one file, some have a couple, and others have many.

Navigate to CC3\Bitmaps\CSUAC Fills and delete the extra files from each folder as shown below.
  • edited August 2012
    Working with the CSUAC Fills Part 2

After you have deleted the extra files from the CSUAC Fills folder you are ready to import them into your map.

Start a new map.
    Go to Tools>Import Bitmap fill styles
    Use the Browse button to navigate to the folder containing the fills
    Use the settings indicated below for the other settings..
    The bitmaps are now available for use via the Fill Style selector in the upper toolbar.
  • edited August 2012
    The CSUAC contains a huge variety of symbols for fantasy as well as modern maps. Here is an example map to show what can be done using just the CSUAC symbols. I've included the FCW in case you want to reverse engineer it, or adapt to your own needs. Enjoy!
  • the cliffs you did here look amazing...which brings me to perhaps a silly question.

I downloaded the CSUAC a few weeks ago and wasn't able to find those rock images in there. I suppose its safe to assume that this new CSUAC contains new material and is worth going through the downloading/uploading process you describe in this forum.
  • Thanks anomiecoalition! The images used for the cliffs are from the Structures Part 2, Rubble folder (Structures, Ruins Rubble in this version). They are just rocks enlarged to cliff size.

This version of the CSUAC has no new images, so no need to re-download anything.
  • edited August 2012
    Shessar - are all of those standard overland catalogues or would I maybe need City Designer 3 - or some other add-on - to use those?
  • Posted By: Terraformer_AuthorShessar - are all of those standard overland catalogues or would I maybe need City Designer 3 - or some other add-on - to use those?
    You only need CC3 to use the CSUAC, the add-ons are not required. However, there are no overland symbols in the package, since the symbols were originally created for Dundjinni, which is a DD3 equivalent meant for making battlemats. Everything is in a top-down view.

However, if you want to make dungeon, modern and outdoor maps, the CSUAC has most of what you'll need.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    What an amazing contribution to the community. Thank you so much for this.
  • edited August 2012
    Just a head up to everyone who has installed this.

There was a small error in one of the FSC filenames. You will need to re-download the CSUAC_for_CC3_v3.zip and extract it into your CC3 folder again. When asked if you want to overwrite the files, say Yes. There is no need to download all of the FM8 files again.

As an alternative, navigate to CC3\Symbols\CSUAC\CSUAC_CC3_Humanoid and rename the Orc.fsc to Orcs.fsc. (Note the s on orcs)

Sorry for the mistake. The typo gremlin has struck again. ;)
    A little point for folks who are tight on hard disk space.

All of the FM8 folders contain a file named default.xml. This sets the scaling and embedding definitions in FM8, but CC3 ignores it. You can erase all of these default.xml files without worrying about problems.
  • There were several more errors in the menu buttons. So, one more time, you will have to download the CSUAC_for_CC3,v3.zip and extract into you CC3 root directory, choosing to overwrite everything.

I'm really sorry about this. The "s" button on my keyboard is finicky at time and I wasn't always paying attention to what was on the screen.
    I promise that everything is fixed this time. :)
  • Don't worry about it. Thanks for the work you put in on this.
  • Jim. Thank you.

At this moment in time, more than anything, I needed someone to say "don't worry about it".

If I were to type out everything that has happened in my life in the past 6 weeks...mother-in-law in hospital, summer storms wrecking havoc with ours and neighbor's trees, electric outages, water main break flooding our basement, and an old laptop finally showing it's age...well, if I went into the bizarre details, you would think I was making it all up.

Anyway, thanks Jim. I needed the words of support. :)

If anyone finds any other errors in the menu buttons ... please let me know. The version of CSUAC_for_CC3_v3.zip that is at the bottom of the first post of this thread is correct. I think. I hope. You should be able to extract it into you root CC3 folder and have everything work. If it doesn't. If you find another mistake. Let me know. I'll pull out a few more hairs and fix it.

Geez. I'm not normally this hairbrained....
  • We've had two potential hurricanes not come our way... so I know a bit about what you mean.
  • Shessar,

Thanks for all the work.
    Files are installed.
    Lots of new stuff to play around with.
  • Mateus090985Mateus090985 Traveler
    edited August 2012
    EDIT: One question. This archives are the same of here: http://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/vccindex.htm ?

I cant do STEP 3:

"

Append (copy/paste) the contents of this file to your existing fcw32.imn file in the CC3 root directory.
    Make sure you don't leave any empty lines inside the file, but do make sure there is a line break after the last line of content, or CC3 will crash on startup.

2. Start CC3. Click the screen tools button (Hammer icon at the bottom of the screen), and turn on "Custom icon bar 3". I have mine placed to the left.

3. If the new toolbar shows up blank, just restart CC3 or click on one of the "Add-on" buttons in the toobar. This will reload the menu.

The symbols are now ready for use."

When I try to copy and save on fcw32.imn on CC# root it says that I dont have acess.
  • edited August 2012
    Posted By: Mateus090985EDIT: One question. This archives are the same of here: http://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/vccindex.htm ?
    No. The symbols on the page you linked to are the Vintyri Collection. You want the CSUAC Collection from here:
    http://www.vintyri.org/CSUAC/download.htm
    I cant do STEP 3:

"

The symbols are now ready for use."

When I try to copy and save on fcw32.imn on CC# root it says that I dont have acess.
    I don't use Windows 7, so I'm not sure. Are you logged in as an administrator? Have you tried turning off UAC?

Perhaps someone more familiar with Win7 can help out.
  • something i found that worked for me was to copy the fcw32.imn file to say your desktop, make the changes there, then copy it back to the directory it came from
  • Make sure CC3 is not in the Program Files folder. Win 7 and Vista don't like changes in there.

Much better would be C:\Profantasy\CC3\
  • Posted By: JimPMake sure CC3 is not in the Program Files folder. Win 7 and Vista don't like changes in there.

Much better would be C:\Profantasy\CC3\
    I wil format my hd today (because of a virus I think and hope)... So I will put CC not in Program files. Thanks for the tip.
  • Fresh reinstall of everything and CASUAC is runnig =). Now let me see if I can resolve my custon symbols problem. Thanks a lot for all the work.
  • No problem, and you're welcome.
  • 11 months later
  • I followed the instructions as outlined above. None of the images show up as anything other than giant red X's. All of the files in the Menu folder are in that folder and no other files beyond the CSUAC files are in the Menu folder. Is there something I overlooked in getting the images to show up properly?
    If the symbols show up as red X's, it means that your artwork files (.png files) are not in the correct location. Make sure you follow the instructions exactly when you extract the files, to ensure you do not end up with an extra directory in your path. The .png files must be in the exact location the symbol catalog files tells CC3 they are, or it won't find them.