Here's A Bunch Of Free Fonts Kids - Come Snag'em and Bagg'em!

Hello folks - here's a zip full of goodies for ya! Three new fonts - and three that I posted a couple of days ago that I fixed up a little bit (so if you've got them - you'll probably want to replace them with the updates). Here's the zip file attatched to this thread entry:

Comments

• edited April 2012
    These are coming to you in both Open Type and True Type flavors! More to come - DON'T TOUCH THAT MOUSE!!! Lol :)

MAN, how I love making these, lol :)

ALSO - VERY IMPORTANT!!!

If you have ANY problems with these fonts - then let me know. If you type out a place name on a curved path - and it looks kinda "funky" in a way that you don't like, or didn't expect - then post a map image so that I can see how to tweak the kerning and letter scales IF you have problems with how it looks. I made these with mapping in mind. They can scale down to 6 points - and were made at a metric EM scale of 1024 instead of 2048 so that the scale sizes are larger and more legible. The letter spacings were made deliberately tight to accomodate texting on curved paths with minimal negative glyph displacement. Suggestions and constructive criticism is most certainly welcome!
  • edited April 2012
    UPDATE: Beginning either tommorrow or Saturday, these fonts will find a permanent home in the PROFANTASY MAP AND CATALOGUE LIBRARY under the new sub directory CC3 > TEXT FONTS. New fonts will be posted both in the forum as they are created - and will be PERMANANTLY stored in the Profantasy Map and Catalogue Library. The fonts are OFL / SIL and will be dedicated to the community by placing them in the library for everybody to have access to them here.

Anyone can now contribute fonts to the library - provided that THEY MUST BE YOUR FONTS, CREATED BY YOU AND NOONE ELSE.

Thank you to Ralf for creating the new Library division.
  • ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler
    Great news and great fonts!
  • Thank you Clercon. Here's a test image that I did in CC3 for Elementary Gothic - not bad.
  • Ok - test of MIRKWOOD CHRONICLE font next - no criticisms on the crappiness of the map please, not trying for a map - just testing the font, lol.
  • edited April 2012
    Bare in mind that these maps were not post produced and no output settings were tweaked for image qaulity - so yes - it looks a little crappy for this reason. This was a check to see how well the letters bend dimensionally, and to check overall presentation qaulity. Doing this brought up an interesting thing - "Personal Reminder: On symbols project, be sure to draw bridge symbols oriented to all major compass points!"Lol :) Question: Would the lettering have come out looking a little smoother if I had used the Open Font versions instead of the True Type versions of my fonts? Hmmmmm....
  • edited April 2012
    UPDATE: All of the fonts that I have posted thus far in the thread (six of them so far) - have been uploaded to the Maps & Catalogues Library here at Profantasy, where they shall hopefully be forever accessable to all users! They will be under the directory "CC3 > Text Fonts" when and if Mr. Schemmann - or whomever - approves them. Ralf - or whomever - may find multiple uploads for "Elementary Gothic" and "Mirkwood Chronicle" - the solution of which is to use the ones that have the images of the alphabets - rather than the test map samples (because I made some errors on the test map images - and I think that the alphabet images are more consistant and clearer / telling throughout the current font collection).
  • Interesting fonts.

On the Mirkwood map. are those the Ruins of Otheco ? Or is that an ao ? I know, from reading years ago, what the ae colmbo looks like.

Both look fairly clear to me, but I don't have my reading glasses on so they are a bit hard to read. ( Sorry, I have my new eyeglasses perscription, just haven't found the time to call the eyeglasses shop to have them made. Separate offices.)
  • Very Nice! Thank you for the fonts!
  • edited April 2012
    Posted By: JimPInteresting fonts.

On the Mirkwood map. are those the Ruins of Otheco ? Or is that an ao ? I know, from reading years ago, what the ae colmbo looks like.

Both look fairly clear to me, but I don't have my reading glasses on so they are a bit hard to read. ( Sorry, I have my new eyeglasses perscription, just haven't found the time to call the eyeglasses shop to have them made. Separate offices.)
    it's "Ruins Of Othem" Jim - actually it's not important because it was just a test sheet. Yes sir - I know what bad eyes are like. I got my glasses from Sears, and next prescription refill is coming from Lens Crafters, lol. Last place I got my glasses - I got my first set of Bifocals. Wow - THAT was when the whole age realization kicked in, lol:).

I don't know why the lettering looks kinda rough on the Mirkwood test. The fonts in all venues work fine and I've qaulity tested them consistantly and they check out. Must be something that I forgot to do in CC3?

@Sven:

You are very welcome Sven - and more is coming if I can get the time.
  • Well darn. Now that yolu mention it... that is a m on the end there. Argh !

My eye problem comes from my left eye being the best, and then when I had retina/cataract problems (all solved now), the right eye became better. My new prescription is suppossed to make close letters readable by both eyes. I can read signs fine.
  • edited April 2012
    Posted By: JimPWell darn. Now that yolu mention it... that is a m on the end there. Argh !

My eye problem comes from my left eye being the best, and then when I had retina/cataract problems (all solved now), the right eye became better. My new prescription is suppossed to make close letters readable by both eyes. I can read signs fine.
    Yep - my eyes are bad to - I don't wear them when I'm drawing though because they just get in the way, lol. Thought about having laser surgery, but my eyes are too important to risk it. I gotta stick with wearing the Coke bottle bottoms, lol.

Back on topic - I'm doodling some more fonts right now. There is a huge pile of paper in my floor from fits of trial and error frustration, lol :)
  • Posted By: Terraformer_Author
    Posted By: JimPWell darn. Now that yolu mention it... that is a m on the end there. Argh !

Yep - my eyes are bad to - I don't wear them when I'm drawing though because they just get in the way, lol. Thought about having laser surgery, but my eyes are too important to risk it. I gotta stick with wearing the Coke bottle bottoms, lol.

Back on topic - I'm doodling some more fonts right now. There is a huge pile of paper in my floor from fits of trial and error frustration, lol :)
    I can empathize with eye problems - I was knifed through my left (dominant) eye & into the brain (damn but it hurt) by a mugger 8 years ago. Yes a lot of major surgeries were done to repair things, but I went far beyond the expected results and improved my eyesight to better than previous (based on glasses prescription) using acupuncture, herbs, eye-yoga & pin-hole glasses for exercise. The Surgeons (some of the best in the world) were so surprised by results they considered impossible that they now work with acupuncturists for post operative care. Perhaps in your case the eye-yoga & pin-hole glasses might help strengthen your eyes. My best wishes for you both.

Sven
  • edited April 2012
    Thank you Sven, I am very happy that you made it through that ordeal successfully and that you were in some way recompensated beneficially. Way to roll bro, and God bless you!

I have never tried "Eye Yoga", although it sounds oddly intrigueing, lol. I guess it's something to look into. The problems with my eyes stems from how they are shaped. My eyeballs are "egg shaped" as opposed to perfectly spherical - which screws up my ability to see clearly. Without my glasses - the whole world looks like an old TV screen with bad, partially "snowy", rough reception, lol.

Ok guys - we better stick to topic from now on henceforth, lest the Admin gods shall send send forth a lightning bolt, lol. :)
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    Very cool - thank you! :)
  • Posted By: jaerdaphVery cool - thank you! :)
    Your welcome my friend!
  • T_A these are fantastic! I especially like the Mirkwood Chronicle and Elementary Gothic Bookhand. You sir, are quite talented. Thanks for sharing!
  • Posted By: ShessarT_A these are fantastic! I especially like the Mirkwood Chronicle and Elementary Gothic Bookhand. You sir, are quite talented. Thanks for sharing!
    Anytime Shessar - and my regards to the hubby (wink wink ;)).
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    I've checked and approved all the fonts in the user library. They are available now - either sort by date or select file type "Text Font" to see them.
  • Posted By: RalfI've checked and approved all the fonts in theuser library. They are available now - either sort by date or select file type "Text Font" to see them.
    Thank you sir! :)
  • 3 months later
  • What do you use for making your fonts? I've got a collection of old hand drawn runes from a LARP I used to go to and I'd love to transfer them into the digital world.
  • I like Throrian Commonface to name oceans, bays etc
    Somehow it works really well for that.

Thanks Terraformer