Password unification

I would really like to see Profantasy unify logins across the site.

Comments

• While the "unified login" theory is nice, in theory, it opens the user up to all sorts of hacking issues. This is especially true for companies like Profantasy that store private information about the user on their servers (like order histories, payment info, etc.). Having a separate login for the forums and the main site helps to distance the user from his private data, thus resulting in less hacking attempts. As to the separate logins for the Annuals, speak to support about that. I am sure they can reset your logins to be the same for both of them. My Annual logins are identical. Basically, I do have three logins for Profantasy offerings, one for the main site, one for the forums, and one for the Annuals. Merging the Annuals and the main site might be a good idea since the private information is the same on both sites, and having access to my subscriptions from one login would be a good idea, but I do appreciate keeping the forums separate from the main site.
  • My suggestion: while you have this many passwords for ProFantasy you likely have even more when including other sites. My recommendation is to use a password safe. The one I use and would recommend is passwordsafe, which is on SourceForge. It may not be "prettified" like the ones you will find if you just google for such software but it works well and can be setup to autofill on sites (autofill means, select the entry in the safe, ctrl-T, and it does the rest so not quite automatic). The idea of a password safe is you only have to remember a single password which protects the list of passwords with strong encryption.
  • Hmm... My 2 cents on password safes, where the passwords you use often are stored on your home computer or somewhere online, aren't safe. I refuse to use them.
  • There are password safes that can be run entirely on a PDA or Smartphone. They don't provide the fancy Autofill features, and can be hacked if someone manages to gain physical possession or access to your device, but they're a good deal more secure than online or desktop PC based ones, simply because of the physical security you can use on the PDA itself.

I appreciate the forum login being seperate from the financial transaction info myself.
  • I use a sourceforge program called "KeePass". It encrypts all of the saved passwords and a CD or USB thumbdrive or other hardware piece can be used as the "key" for the encryption instead of a password to access the stored information. Very handy because I don't need to remember the password to access my data, I simply need the hardware key. The website for this program is

http://keepass.info/
  • This is one of the reasons I don't like forums. Another is that, to learn what has been posted, I need to visit a forum. And I tend to forget......
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: Mike OliverThis is one of the reasons I don't like forums. Another is that, to learn what has been posted, I need to visit a forum. And I tend to forget......
    There is s subscription option which sends an email when there is new stuff to see.
  • The problem with the subscription option: it only sends you a notification when something, anything has changed, and then doesn't notify you any more.
    If, since my last visit, there are three new threads, and new posts in four old threads, I only get a notification for the first of those events. I want a notification for each of those events.
  • As to the 2007 Annual, it has all been combined into a mega file you can download through requesting an order history.

P.S. Are you the same Drammattex from the WotC Boards?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: DarrenHillThe problem with the subscription option: it only sends you a notification when something, anything has changed, and then doesn't notify you any more.
    If, since my last visit, there are three new threads, and new posts in four old threads, I only get a notification for the first of those events. I want a notification for each of those events.
    True. The intention of the forum developers is that this is enough, because that one notification will get you to visit the forum, and then see what else is new without spamming your email with notifications.
    This might not be the be ideal for everyone of course, but it should at least remind you to visit the forum.
  • I want that spam, though :) It should be a user configuration.
  • kristof65kristof65 Traveler
    edited March 2008
    Posted By: Mike OliverThis is one of the reasons I don't like forums. Another is that, to learn what has been posted, I need to visit a forum. And I tend to forget......
    Remember Mike, the Yahoo Group hasn't gone away. It still looks like a good place to go to ask questions.

The real advantage of a forum is when you're looking for an answer to a specific question you know has been answered before. Much easier to search a forum than a Yahoo group. This is especially important for new users stumbling around the web looking for answers to their questions.

All in all, I think the forum and the Yahoo Group will complement each other well.