Dioramas: Paper Ship Models

RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
I've added a new pdf template to my little paper ship models (for the OOP Games Workshop game Man O'War.

The CC3 files are available from this link, but you'll need the Annual 27 (Sailing Ships) for the Canvas bitmap fill to see the sails correctly.

Enjoy!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I just love what you manage to do with Dioramas.
    Posted By: RalfThe CC3 files are attached to this post
    Actually, you've only attached the .pdf files, there are no .fcw files in the zip. (The same goes for the zip on your website)
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Ooops, looks like I zipped up the wrong files. Please re-download from my website, I fixed them.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Thanks.

I noticed the canvas fill style used an absolute path though. For anyone downloading this (Unless Ralf fixes the source files), open the fill style dialog, and edit the "Canvas" fill style. Replace the absolute path (I:\Programme\ProFantasy\CC3\Bitmaps\Tiles\Other\Ships\CA27_canvas.png) with a relative path (#Bitmaps\Tiles\Other\Ships\CA27_canvas.png) to make the canvas fill style work (You will still need to have Annual 27 installed)
    Ehmm... thanks for cleaning up my little mistakes, Monsen. ;) Fixed in the source files.
  • 1 year later
  • Ralf, this is great! I loved your previous ships too. I do worry about the match head so close to the sail, but I guess it makes conversion to a fire ship that much easier :)

One trick I learned from the paper modeling forums: Everything looks a lot better if you run a marker along the cut white edge of the paper before you construct the ships. I use a 50% or 70% grey on almost everything, and it really does punch up the model.

Steve
    Steve, thanks for the kind words. If I ever decide to burn my fleets, the matchhead will porve very useful. ;)

Yeah, using markers to line the edges makes paper models look much better. I didn't do it here, because I normally print b&w and paint the ships with acrylic colors afterwards. Doing a pre-colored print was an experiment. It doesn't fully work, because I can't print on the back side of the paper exactly enough.

Also, I advise against blacklining these before assembly. The model is so small, any amount of water in the paper will make it much harder to accurately fold and glue them. This is also a reason against pre-colored printing.

Here are my painted ships:

• ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler