Cosmographer and Moon Orbits

Does Cosmographer 3+ allow you to plot the orbits of multiple moons, then calculate what the phases and relative positions of both would be and plot the results on a calendar?

If not, anyone know of such a tool?

Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

Best Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

No. While Cosmographer allows you do draw star systems, it is a manual process. It has no concept of things like orbits and calculating positions or the effect of bodies on each other.

LoopysuePNW Angler
  • Accepted Answer

This is a pretty complex set of tasks you're hoping to accomplish here, but as long as you're happy to put in the work yourself, it should be perfectly possible. That may depend on how comfortable you are working with the mathematics of orbital mechanics, however, and exactly what degree of precision you're hoping to achieve.

I'm not aware of any tools that will allow you to do all of this in one, but you may find some of the tools linked from the Worldbuilding Links and Software page of the Orion's Arm Universe Project website helpful. Note that some of these are only available via the Wayback Machine archival website now, and may use older software types to function. I've not really done much with this in a long time, so can only hope some of it may assist!

Unfortunately, the few folks I know, or knew, who did this kind of thing tended to write their own programs to do it, and while that may be an option for you too, that's not something I've had any experience with, sadly.

Good luck anyway!

PNW AnglerLoopysueJimP
  • Accepted Answer

A quick Google search for ‘Orbital Mechanics Calculator’ has many results , but I’d caution a big Caveat Emptor to these (the internet being what it is). Another route may be ChatGPT… if you phrase your question right it may give you the values you’re looking for.

PNW AnglerLoopysue

Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

No. While Cosmographer allows you do draw star systems, it is a manual process. It has no concept of things like orbits and calculating positions or the effect of bodies on each other.

LoopysuePNW Angler
  • Accepted Answer

This is a pretty complex set of tasks you're hoping to accomplish here, but as long as you're happy to put in the work yourself, it should be perfectly possible. That may depend on how comfortable you are working with the mathematics of orbital mechanics, however, and exactly what degree of precision you're hoping to achieve.

I'm not aware of any tools that will allow you to do all of this in one, but you may find some of the tools linked from the Worldbuilding Links and Software page of the Orion's Arm Universe Project website helpful. Note that some of these are only available via the Wayback Machine archival website now, and may use older software types to function. I've not really done much with this in a long time, so can only hope some of it may assist!

Unfortunately, the few folks I know, or knew, who did this kind of thing tended to write their own programs to do it, and while that may be an option for you too, that's not something I've had any experience with, sadly.

Good luck anyway!

PNW AnglerLoopysueJimP
  • Accepted Answer

A quick Google search for ‘Orbital Mechanics Calculator’ has many results , but I’d caution a big Caveat Emptor to these (the internet being what it is). Another route may be ChatGPT… if you phrase your question right it may give you the values you’re looking for.

PNW AnglerLoopysue