A Question about Political Borders

I am using the borders from the Mercator style. It works fine for the most part. However, part the problem I am having is that some of the landmass in not on the map - which is intentional. However, when I use the border, it creates a full polygon. Now, the edges of the map area show the border. I want that open. Is there anyway to do this?

I have thought about duplicating the coast line, but not all of the coastline is from the same country.

I would just use the line drawing tools, but as far as I can tell, I cannot use the trace command.

Is there some way I can trace along the coastline, have it glow, but not have the back end of the landmass also show color?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

The effect employed here require it to be a polygon, you can't do the same with a line.

One way to handle this is to just let the poly extend beyond the border of the map. The part sticking out will be hidden by the map border and the screen. The end result should be that it looks like a line.

JulianDracos
  • How do I let the ploy extend beyond the border? I tried doing that before posting, but even if I click outside, it stays within the border.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

If you are using a drawing tool to draw the polygon it might be restricted to operate only within the map border. No need to redraw anything. Hide everything but the sheet the border is on and use the move node tool to pick and move the nodes beyond the map border sufficiently for the visible part not to show within the map.

The first move might be guesswork, but when you show everything again you can adjust the new positions of the nodes you have moved. You hide everything the first time you move them so you don't pick anything else that happens to be aligned with the map border.

JulianDracos
  • The tool was restricted to the map border. I did create a new tool without that restriction. I tried moving the border, but it was very slow and jumpy. This might be because of a lot of nodes from tracing a coastline. Not a big deal to do. But that does solve the issue. I just have to make sure the line is far out and it now looks correct.