Which style for... Post apocaliptic meshup

Hi everyone.

This message is to ask for a suggestion. I want to make a small regional map, let say 100x100 km, in a post-apocalyptic world (for a trpg campaign with Legacy). The setting is quite unique , though, as there will be 4 factions stuck in this futuristic desolated world. Each will be based in a different part of the map and each got inspiration and flavor from different "movies":

• A valley close to a Poisonous forest where hostile behemoths live (Nausicaa of the valley of wind)
  • A dump city (Alita)
  • An extraterrestrial hive (Battlestar galactica)
  • A cyberpunk city (well... Cyberpunk)

Which style would you use for a project like that?

Thanks all for the support ☺️

Comments

• edited November 2022

https://forum.profantasy.com/discussion/13042/annual-2023#latest

Make Chorus

I believe the valley with the poisoned forest can be done with mike schley overland. Changing colours ....carnivorous plants, dry trees and bleeding trees next to green/red/purple geysers might be a good idea.

the other needs there is nothing that comes to my mind that would be a good idea.

Cheers

Loopysue
  • Honestly, pretty much none of the styles are going to work. I can think of many if you just wanted an overland desolated map. The problem that I am having is that you seem to want to do a city map. I say this because you keep using examples of cities. In an overland map, that would just be a symbol and the focus is on the land.

Dark Realms, Realms of Legend, and Scorching sun all work together to give you a desolate world.

Darklands and Spectrum overland will give you the most detail symbols to create something small scale that is detailed for say a valley with a poisonous forest.

As for the city elements . . . the most I could suggest is cosmographer. There are some styles that have items you could maybe add to the landscape. I am not really sure what things you are envisioning being on the map to convey the three urban areas.

Beyond that, I think you will need to use a lot of sheet effects and lighting. There are a couple of deckplans that have some nice items. However, most of the stuff is suitable for dungeon size maps.

AleD
  • Thanks, @JulianDracos

The plan is to start with just the regional map, so no cities are involved. The specific locations were meant to give the general flavor of the game... It will be a post-apocalyptic world, with the apocalypse happened in a quite far future.

I miss Dark Realms and Scorching... 😂🙂😥😰😭 

But I'll try with realms of legends 🙂

Thanks again for the suggestion!

• It could depend on what the characters knew.

Ancient ruins, with say a 20th century city nearby for the tourist trade that is now gone, could lend themselves to a post apocalyptic world. A burned out bus or two, near an Aztec or Mayan pyramid.

Demolished metal that was once a car, next to a Greek or Roman stadium, stone housing, and temples.

That is what I would do.

AleD
  • 20 days later
  • I finally started the map for the campaign. It is far from being done, but the main things are there.

I love this style and I think I'll create new "circles" with some postapocaliptic cyber locations, with a mad max flavor.

LoopysueJimPJulianDracosroflo1[Deleted User]EukalyptusNowRalfRicko HascheAutumn GettyLauti
  • edited December 2022

I started to create some new location symbols for the map (Following the Ancient Realms part II guide).

Below the png... Feel free to use them.

More will come soon ;)

IMPORTANT NOTE BELOW:

All the images above originated from Midjourney (and then modified to add the circle around) for which -at the present date- the following therms of service apply:

Rights you give to Midjourney

By using the Services, you grant to Midjourney, its successors, and assigns a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, sublicensable no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare Derivative Works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute text, and image prompts you input into the Services, or Assets produced by the service at your direction. This license survives termination of this Agreement by any party, for any reason.

Your Rights

Subject to the above license, you own all Assets you create with the Services. This does not apply if you fall under the exceptions below.

I do not fall in any of the exceptions.

I let everyone here use the above images.

😁

MonsenRicko HascheLoopysueJimP[Deleted User]roflo1Mythal82CalibreLauti
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Wow, they're really cool! Thank you! :D

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker

They are very nice, I just have to ask: are the images in the public domain? Some of it looks AI generated, but not all of it, and we would need to know the conditions under which the images are available.

• Yes. All AI generated by me. My propriety and by contract public 🙂. I can check better and send you the details, Ralf.

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker

That's fine then, thanks. Adding a note in the post with the pictures would be great.

AleD
  • Yeah, I've been involved peripherally in a number of discussions elsewhere online lately regarding the use of AI art, including specifically that generated by Midjourney, because a lot of people - primarily artists - have become increasingly concerned about the direction this stuff is taking, most especially how the so-called AI systems are using artworks available online to generate their final images.

The matter is incredibly complex, and much of it remains uncertain, notably how copyright laws in various places pertain to AI-generated artworks, largely because they have never been legally tested this way (a couple of practicing US lawyers posted some very helpful discussions regarding the US situation a little while ago on one of the Discords I'm on, which were very enlightening in this regard).

I can do no better to help inform anyone here as to the current situation, than suggest those interested should read this blog posting from Dec 8th this year, by Jon Hodgson, a British "real" artist, RPG and game designer, who runs a company called Handiwork Games (which is where the blog is). Jon used Midjourney to generate much of the artwork in a new RPG he published this year, so he knows exactly what he's talking about from the genuine artist's perspective. He's also decided that any reprint of said RPG will have all the Midjourney artwork removed, to be replaced with his own, or other artists', real art, and he will not be using Midjourney, or other AI-generated artworks, again.

Personally, I've become very cautious about using any AI-generated artwork now, and would not do so in anything that wasn't purely for my own use.

JimPAleD
  • 25 days later
  • A glimpse at the new upcoming map with a bunch of new place tokens.

Still under construction ;)

LoopysueMonsenJimPRalfJulianDracosLautiRicko Hasche
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I love the new tokens Ale :D

AleD