Annual 2023

Since dreaming costs nothing, what features would you like in the new Annual 2023? I would particularly like to suggest:

Cityes - Mayan/Aztec/Inca constructions

Modern/Steam punk/Pos apocalyptic

Overland - Modern/steam punk/post apocaliptic (preferably similar to the mike schley style so we can use the numerous images already made.

Oriental and African Structures for Mike Schley Overland.

A monthly issue dedicated to Frames and cartouches to beautify the maps.

Cheers 😎

ScottAJulianDracosMathieu Gansroflo1pablo gonzalezEukalyptusNowLautiOctorilla

Comments

• I like the idea of frames and cartouches, and let's add some nice compass roses to that.

Ricko HascheschabotteKenneth Feller
  • Vertical and perspective symbol sets for cutaway and perspective views of classic, steampunk, modern and futuristic floor and deck plans. Alternate floor number schemes for multilevel floorplans (numeric and verbose ordinal, custom level names).
    Ricko Hasche
  • Symbol set 6 actually has some buildings that seem similar to Victorian era buildings. There are also things that can be added to the buildings to make them look more steampunk such as chimneys. These aren't perfect, but I think would make it fairly easy to do a steampunk. I think the best way to do any type of steampunk or cyberpunk city maps will need to be isometric.

Isometric Cities:

Modern/Cyberpunk (skyscapers, high rises, mid rise, convenience stores, bridges, road tools, train lines, subway entrances, etc.)

Steampunk -I think you can use SS6, but I think @Loopysue could do a different style more suitable for the genre in terms of looks and would add in small details like trolley lines, and airship docks

Tree Village (Trees, houses, ladders, bridges, hallowed out trees, etc.)

East Asian - Similar to the style that is already in the L5R books could work. Maybe the Empire of the Sun.

Floor plans/neighborhood battlemaps:

Cyberpunk and steampunk - basically need something to detail out buildings and a small section a neighborhood

Train/train cars

Airships

Isometric Dungeon:

East Asian - I want a map to look like we are inside Himeji Castle

Dungeon:

Modern/Post - Apoc - I am thinking something like sewers, subway tunnels, underground military base, etc. I want metal or contrete looking walls, tube shaped corridors, computers, rubble, desks, train cars, glass, dead bodies, etc.

Overland:

Alien World - different terrain features and colors, futuristic colony symbols, ancient alien ruins, alien monsters, space ships, etc.

Viking/Ice World - I notice there are some sun/desert themes. I think an overland style would work well with the released Winter Village and Ice Dungeon

Other:

Victorian Map Embellishment - Victorian era maps were very decorative. Having a set of embellishments that could be added to maps to make them artistic would be great.

Darklands/Spectrum Symbol expansion - I know this is unlikely to happen, but these are often by go to styles. I would like same snow mountains for Darklands. I would like both to have way more city styles. I am sure there are some terrains missing.

I know I am going to be an outlier here, but I am not a fan of the more catroonish look of Mike Schley, It is CC3 default and there is free monthly content. There is so much available. So I would prefer for any styles to not look like his styles. I don't use anything from that unless that is the absolute only option.

Ricko Hascheroflo1pablo gonzalezEukalyptusNowLautiOctorillaWazzebu
  • Definitely i would ask for new battleground and overland content in futuristic and zombie style.

I have enough material for medieval and nothing modern.

JulianDracosRicko Haschepablo gonzalezEukalyptusNowLauti
  • I fully agreed for a monthly issue dedicated to Frames and cartouches. It was a nice addition.

And news variations for Character Artist 3 allowing to have more dynamic poses (I repeat what I'm asking in "Quo Vadis Monthly Symbols", but I really want this 😁)

ScottARicko HascheOctorilla
  • I also want some varied Character artist positions, or at least, more choices for fatter, thinner, people. And more variation in head shape.

• Yes, have to agree with more Character Artist assets. That one's been overlooked for a very long time.

Mathieu GansOctorilla
  • The one thing I'd kill for are some Bronze age style symbols for overland maps, ideally in a Mike Schey compatible style. If nothing else ancient Mesopotamian, Minoan, and Mycenean style ruins, monuments, and cities would work quite well (imho) as stand-ins for non-traditional/humanoid civilisations on maps, or just for fleshing out ancient places for adventures in.

Ricko HascheJimP[Deleted User]ProchaskaLautiOctorilla
  • Instead of just liking Quenten's comment about CA3, here are my ideas about it: what I miss in CA3 are more variations for faces, and more clothes. Armor is already nicely varied, sometimes I miss details like a kettle helmet. For shields I miss a heater shield, preferably with some heraldic symbols to be added. Maybe a spear with a leaf tip (the existing one looks more like a hunting spear).

Or, to be quite daring, completely new sci-fi outfits like space suits and cyberpunk gear.

roflo1Mathieu GansRicko Hasche
  • Most of all I would really enjoy an "East Asian Dungeon/ Fantasy Floorplan style", that is compatible with Sue's other recent styles (Creepy Crypts, Forest Trail).

Apart from that, there's lots of great suggestions in this thread:

Agree with Quenten that CA3 could really use more symbols or features (I've pretty much stopped using it, because I'm constantly missing items/ elements I would need for a character).

Modern/ Cyberpunk / Steampunk City/ Floor Plan Content would be cool, too. As would something Aztec/ Inca / Maya-themed.

Apart from the annuals, an update/ rework of SS3 would also probably be an instant buy for me. The current SS3 really looks quite dated, compared to newer styles.

LautiRicko Hasche
  • edited November 2022

Babylon and mesopotamic overland and city

Post apocalyptic "warhammer 40k" Overland, city and battleground.

Mel Gibson Mad Max Overland.

Portuguese/Spanish Sig XV/XVIII Overland

Mike Schley separate packs of overland images (purchase) such as: set symbols of oriental, nature, mountains, caves, animals (wolves, alligators, snakes, gnolls etc.), ruins... - not necessarily need to be in the annual, like new separated symbols sets.

More images to Isometric city Mike Schley

New images expansion to Isometric Temple of Bones.

Monthly content of the annual with Mike Schley expanding Overland and or City and dungeon bringing some vast collection of images (maybe some of the ideas above).

LautiJimPRicko Hasche
  • I was thinking about Mr. @Quenten suggestion and why don't when they update Character, also include an option of futiristic characters with alien options as well.

Medieval can also have options mind flayer, cyclops, bugbears, orcs, dwarves, hobbits etc...

JimPGlitch
  • 29 days later
  • I would love the Profantasy team to revisit Cthulhu City, With Updated symbols of Europe in 1920s and 1930s, with trams and underground stations, dockyard features, slums etc.

Also a modern Character artist for the 1920s and 1930s would be a great addition.

jmabbottScottAseycyrusRicko Haschepablo gonzalez
  • I’d love to see a Steampunk Overland and Steampunk/Gnomish City in next year’s annual.

Ricko Haschepablo gonzalezJimP
  • Today I had the idea for say a pirate city map. Maybe with a parchment background. I'm not sure if it needs to be isometric or not. The main issue I have with non-isometric is that too much relies on the roof tiles and those tend to be the same pattern with most styles.

• @Ralf . The symbols in the Natural category all have red X's.

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker

Those symbols are all drawing tool links. Are you loading them in a map that has the 13th Age Revisited bitmap fills available?

• 9 months later
  • IthrilIthril Traveler

MOAR Compass Roses Please !

An old cartographer once told me that a good cartographer never has enough compass roses.

roflo1Ricko HascheJimP
  • Trees that are open at the bottom to be placed into woodland area like Mike did here at the bottom of this picture:

JimPRicko Hascheroflo1MapjunkieGlitch