Questions about Custom PAL

I altered a few colors in the palette. I then saved it. I noticed it continually went back to the original colors and I had to keep reloading it. I then went and attached it to the drawing.

Now, I worked on another map and also had some custom colors. I also saved it and then attached it to the drawing.

However, now that I have gone back to the first map, it has again gone back to the original PAL. When I reload the PAL, it now loads the PAL from the second map and not the first.

Did I do something wrong? I'm assuming that the PAL should be for each map, but sometimes CC3 doesn't seem to go with what is intuitive.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited November 2022

If you attach a palette it should stay with the map as long as you have saved the map after attaching it. If you don't save after attaching it then it won't be there when you reopen the map.

If you are absolutely certain that the modified palette was visible when you attached it, and that you saved the map after you attached the palette, this is not the expected behaviour and you should contact Tech Support.

The Custom palette is whatever you saved as the Custom palette last time you saved one.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2022

Also worth noting: There is only one custom palette. The custom palette is NOT the same as the one attached to the map. When you save a custom palette, a file named fcw32.pal is saved int he CC3+ data directory. Whenever you try to reload the custom palette, it is this file that will be loaded regardless of the palette attached to the map.

The palette attached to the map should be automatically loaded when the map is opened.

LoopysueGlitch
  • Thanks. So what I am guessing what happened is that the colors seemed off on the map, so I reloaded the custom pallette. I then attached it again and that is what caused the problem. Too bad I don't know what those original colors were.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

It can be annoying to lose a palette that way, but if it helps at all the first modified colour palette I made for Darklands Overland was lost exactly the same way. The second one I made - the one now attached to the style, was much better.