multiple map borders possible?

hi folks!

I'm working on a board game prototype once again. This game will have L shaped card tiles and I was wondering if it's possible to set multiple map borders (each in the shape of the L) so I can draw multiple tiles in one map so I can print them on one sheet of paper.

The only way I can think of doing that and make use of the map border function is to set up one map per tile, which seems too tedious...

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

The map border is just an entity like everything else. You can more or less do what you want.

When talking about the map border though, it is important to remember that there are two of them, the "technical" map border which consists of 4 lines on the MAP BORDER layer, and defines the actual size of the map and the stopping point for things like drawing tools. Then you have the visual/graphical map border, which is just decoration.

For decorative map borders, you can create as many as you want, and shape them as you want. But the drawing can only have 1 technical map border (the 4 lines around the outside of the map), and that one needs to be rectangular, no weird shapes. Now, you don't technically need a technical map border at all, but without one, you're drawing tools don't have a border to snap to, and you can't use the resize drawing area command. Also, exporting and printing to map border won't work, you will always have to define areas yourself, but technically, these are just conveniences, not requirements.

Fersusroflo1
  • Yes the question was if I can have multiple weird shapes that still count as map border for snapping tools. Now that I know that's not possible I won't bother trying to set something like this up.

Thanks Monsen for the quick answer!

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

I need to remember to check if the map border needs 4 lines or if it's a bounding box on whatever is on the layer. I want to say bounding box, but it's been a long time since that part of the code base caused me aggravation, so I may be misremembering again. Old age is about as fun as I had always expected it would be, but I really didn't expect to see it quite so soon...

JimP
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Pretty sure it is actually a bounding box, but 4 lines is the common way to draw it.

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited September 2022

If the bounding box could be a different shape, rectangular or L-shaped, that could open up possibilities I suppose.

However, for the Atlas I submitted a map that is L-shaped, but the bounding box was still a square.

Fersus