Abbey Sainte-Marie de Fontfroide

I drew this map of the Fontfroide Abbey, a Cistercian monastery near Narbonne. It is my interpretation of the buildings in the year 1200. The map is intended for my version of the old introductory adventure "Promises, promises" for the 4th edition Ars Magica. Here the characters will meet the abbot Pierre de Castelnau, one of the antagonists of the first years of the saga. Pierre has a kind of office in the narrow room on the far left north of the cemetery. A more positive acquaintance will be the Infirmarius Arnald, whose herbarium is located in the annex to the northeast, right next to the stream.

Creating the church at the south end, there was one problem I could not solve. I followed the instructions in the Tome about complex rooms in DD3, combining all the paths and the using the path to poly command. The whole outline was 1 entity afterwards, but when setting the fill style, only the right side was filled with the bitmap floor style, the right side stayed an empty box. I worked around that problem by creating a new rectangular room and deleting the wall between the two halfs of the church, which left that step between the two parts.

LoopysueJimPLorelei

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Was the original polygon properly closed? In CC3+, it isn't a polygon unless it is a closed shape (it's then a path), and if you try to set a fill style for a path, it is only applied to the line itself (And keep in mind, in a CAD based software like CC3+, being closed is a property of the entity, not just that it looks closed on visual inspection, there is a close path command by right clicking the explode button).

Your map is nice, but I would recommend you look a bit at your grass, the repetition of the texture is a bit much. This can often be fixed by adding more stuff to the map, combining it with other grass/terrain textures, or changing the resolution of it so it doesn't repeat quite as much. Also, maybe not use the same floor style for all the rooms. You can also use a shaded polygon to angle the fill in that stand-alone building to fit the direction of the building.

Prochaska
  • Thank you for the advice, the church floor is fixed now.

And the visual variation of the grass and floor is a work in progress...

• Updated version of the map:

The more prestigious areas of the monastery - the cloister, sacristy and chapter house - now have more decorative flooring than the other areas; the pantry and the lay brothers' dormitory have simple cobble stones. The floor textures are enlarged, and the right side of the creek is now wooded as well.

Does anyone recognize what drawing style the trees I used came from? I had to copy/paste the trees on the right side because I couldn't find the template again.

LoopysueMonsenJimProflo1
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

That's a great map, Prochaska :)

Those are DD3 trees. Since the rest of the map is DD3 style you should be able to find them again by clicking the little tree button in the row across the top of the map.

• Thank you, Sue!

But I have no tree symbol in the DD3 toolbar:

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

That's a bit strange!

Well, this being CC3+, there are always several ways of doing a thing.

Instead, click the open folder button just under the right hand end of the Options button and navigate to:

[The drive where you have everything installed]:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus\Symbols\Dungeons\DD3\DD3 Color, and double click the Vegetation.FSC file.

Prochaska
  • The workaround worked.

I thought about reinstalling DD3 to get the lost button back, but when I cheked the Tome, there is also no vegetation button listed for DD3, so I assume that will be of no use.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

The vegetation for DD3 is found on the Skirmish button (the last one).

Loopysue
  • Great, the final riddle of this map is solved :)

Thank you!