Holes in fills with edge fade

Alright, so this is a problem that has been plaguing me but I keep just tweeking things till it goes away but I want to see if there's a reason and solution.

Certain fills seem to be worse then others, the ones I have a huge issues with is the grass and earth fills from Schleys Forlone Cottage, but I love the fills so I keep using them, I also notice that stacking sheets with edge fade also can cause this but in the image below I am not. I also noticed that higher resolution out put seems to aggravate the problem as well, I ten to put out 200 or 300 pixels per 5 foot square and then resize in Photoshop.

I tried making the path shown not have edge fade since all the edges are covered but then the problem transferred to the cave area.

And yes Sue, I love your cliffs, please make more :P

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Oh yes - we know all about this.

It's what has become unofficially known as Transparency Acne. I don't know if there is a solution for this on the very long list of things to do that Profantasy have their team working on, but there is a workaround for it.

TA tends to happen where you have fills that are very similar in colour - like for example the grey of the stone I used to do the cliffs and the grey of that badly affected stone(?) fill in the north of the map, where they overlap or interact with each other, and I think where the pixel on both sheets is identical in shade and colour something may be going a bit wrong with the rendering calculations. That's how I've interpreted the way its been described to me - but any of the Profantasy Techs could probably put it better!

There are several workarounds for this problem. Sometimes if you change the colour of shadows and glows that are currently black to the darkest brown or grey the problem resolves (TA can also happen between different layers of transparent polygons of the same colour, particularly black but sometimes with other colours as well).

If that doesn't work try adding a sheet directly underneath the one with the affected fill with exactly the same EFI effect on it, copying the polygons of the affected fill to the new sheet and changing the properties of the underlying copy to a solid pink or purple (whatever colour is least likely to be in any of the pixels of the affected fill). You might have to fractionally increase the width of the EFI effect to properly hide it underneath the main fill, and you may have to try a few more colours until you get just the right one.

That you seem to be experiencing this problem particularly along the edges overlapping the cliffs is a bit of a concern to me. Do you still get this problem if you hide the cliffs? If you do, then it may be necessary for me to tweak the colour of those symbols so that it becomes less likely to happen. Please let me know? Thanks :)
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    Thank you for your thorough answer. I’ve tried adding a sheet underneath but always did a similar color, I will try a dissimilar color when I can. I will also try with the cliffs hidden, but if the cliffs are causing issues it wouldn’t be your fault as I have modified them to fit Schley’s style a bit better. However, in my experience it really seems to be this grass and earth fill overlapping each other, sometimes if I switch which one is the background and which is on top it fixes it.

Thank you again, it’s good to know it’s not just me.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You're welcome :)

I hope it works for you.

You just have to find the colour that isn't in any of the fills. Usually its a sort of purple or pink - a tip that Simon Rogers gave me ;)
  • RelytRelyt Traveler
    The cliffs don't seem to be the problem, I switched BACKGROUND to be earth, as it was actually the majority of the map, and OUTSIDE to be grass and put a OUTSIDE UNDERMASK (that's how I label them anyways) of bright pink under OUTSIDE with a much higher edge fade to keep the pink from seeping through.

I've used similar techniques for large beveled sections, such as walls, but never thought to use different color for the edgefade.

Thank you for your help, and thank you for your cliffs, escarpments is a sorely needed assets for battle-maps.

Now all that's left is maybe some miner tweaking here and there and applying shadows for the cliffs and cave.
  • 3 years later
  • Dude, how did you make these cliffs?