Can I modify instanced symbols with macros?

I was revisiting my "tactical" battlemap in this post, and I figured that it was worth having a macro that would change all the colors automagically (what if the party has a Beowulf instead of a Scout?). This was also my first exposure to macros, btw.

Sure enough, I managed quite easily to modify most colors... except for symbols. Sure, I did a second (and very small) macro to change the symbols once opened for edit (and I could also use "Symdefs to Sheets", run the macro, and then "Sheets to Symdefs" to create a new catalog)... but for instanced symbols, I'd still need to open them one by one, or replace them one by one.

Is there a way to automate this?

I assume an XP would be more powerful and may be the answer, but I'm still not familiar with XPs.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

I don't think there is a way changing symbol references using macros. But as a workaround, you can just explode the symbols in the drawing. In most cases, this won't make a visual difference, but the symbols are now just a collection of primitive entities which should react nicely to color changing commands. Obviously, they no longer will be regarded as symbols for commands operating on those, but that is usually not that big a problem.

roflo1JimP