Beginner questions

Hello! I'm really new to CC3+, i'm wondering if you guys could answer some of my questions:

-How do i add a border to land? I have drawn some overland and i want to add a border to it after i made it. I also want to control it's style, colour and thickness. Is that possible without having to trace the whole thing?

-When i try to draw using a custom drawing tool (by selecting a type of drawing on the right and then changing the style and layers on the top), the drawing is not limited to the map border but instead goes out of borders. Is there a way to fix this?

-When i have multiple objects' edges on the same place, how do i select only one of them?

Thanks for any answer.

Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2022

-How do i add a border to land? I have drawn some overland and i want to add a border to it after i made it. I also want to control it's style, colour and thickness. Is that possible without having to trace the whole thing?

With border, I assume you mean an outline and not a political border here. There are several way to accomplish this, but the quickest is usually just make a copy of the landmass using Copy or using Outline in Black and then just change the properties of the copy/outline to give it the appearance you want.

Another option is to use effects, throw an outer glow on it for example.

-When i try to draw using a custom drawing tool (by selecting a type of drawing on the right and then changing the style and layers on the top), the drawing is not limited to the map border but instead goes out of borders. Is there a way to fix this?

No. The ability to stick to the map border is a feature of the drawing tolls which the basic commands don't have. Of course, you can always make your own drawing tool by going to All Map Drawing Tools and set it up as you wish. It can be set up to use the current properties, so you can make it behave almost like a basic command, but with the added features of the more advanced drawing tools.

-When i have multiple objects' edges on the same place, how do i select only one of them?

If they overlap completely, use the different selection modifiers like selecting by fill, color or layer. You'll find all the details for this in the editing chapter in the manual, or an even more detailed overview here: https://forum.profantasy.com/discussion/7404/command-of-the-week-selections-week-28

Note that if the entities are on different sheets or layers, you can just hide the appropriate sheets/layers so you only see the right one.

ScottALoopysueroflo1
  • Ad 2)

I often want my entities to extend far beyond the map border to hide some effects on the border.

In this example I have a desert continent in the south and a grassy continent in the north.

the desert one is restricted to the border, the other one is not.

as you see, the political border is creeping into the frame. I often don't want that, so I draw my shapes far outside the border so the effects don't bleed into the frame.

You also can see that there is a screen around the map that hides everything that sticks out of the map border (in my case I exaggerated my landmass to show that this will eventually end).

You can use the command COLLAR in the bottom line of CC3+ (just accept the preset options by right-clicking twice) to automatically increase the size of the screen so it hides everything again. But this is optional as you can tell CC3+ to just print everything inside the border anyways...

roflo1
  • When it comes to the border, I am going to recommended you just use sheet effects. You can just add a glow to the land or water (or both). You can set the color, intensity, and blur radius. That should be sufficient.

Some styles also have a coastline sheet that will provide the land border as well. Again, you could play around with sheet effects.

roflo1