What does exactly the term "commercial use" mean in license description ?

I read in the End-User License Agreement for the following statement:

"Installation and use. You may install a copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on up to three personal computers (PCs) at one address (including laptops normally kept at that address) for non-concurrent (not used simultaneously on more than 1 PC) and non-commercial use. Alternatively you may install a copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on a single personal computer for commercial use. Any use of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT for profit or by any business constitutes commercial use."

I also read from Q&A section on the Pro fantasy website:

"Can I use maps I create in CC3+ for commercial purposes?

The answer is simple: Yes, you can. You hold all the rights to the maps you create with ProFantasy's Software."

So my question is, what does exactly the term "commercial use" mean in INSTALLATION AND USE section in End-User License Agreement? For example, if I create some maps using CC3+ and later use these map images to make an commercial indi-game. Am I required to only install the CC3+ copy in ONLY one computer, otherwise I violate the licese agreement? But what about the "you hold all the rights" for commercial purposes description in Q&A section?

Answers

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

For a completely correct and no guessing response to that question you need to contact Profantasy directly. Anyone else's interpretation is only as good as yours unless it comes direct from Profantasy.

You can contact them via your Support tab on your account page.

Having said that, though, I think you will find Profantasy's EULA is pretty generous once you are clear on the exact meaning.

roflo1
  • JulianDracosJulianDracos Mapmaker
    edited November 2021

I am very confused by your question.

"Can I use maps I create in CC3+ for commercial purposes?

The answer is simple: Yes, you can. You hold all the rights to the maps you create with ProFantasy's Software."

That is a pretty simple answer. The maps are yours. They are copyrighted by you. You can use the maps that you create for whatever purpose you want and that includes selling the maps. That is what it means to say you hold all the rights to the maps.

But what you asked was "if I create some maps using CC3+ and later use these map images to make an commercial indi-game. Am I required to only install the CC3+ copy in ONLY one computer, otherwise I violate the licese agreement?"

That is a different question about the software. The software installation of CC3 is not the same having rights to the maps. How many computers you can install it on is part of the EULA and issues related to that have nothing to do with the rights to the maps that you making drawing the program.

So I am not sure why you are bringing issues of having the rights to the maps and how many PCs you can have the program installed on together. Once you can clarify that, then I would recommend you emailing them for an answer.

• edited November 2021

My understanding, and what I adhere to is: to produce maps for sale, i.e. commercial use, as per the EULA you can only have Profantasy Software installed on a single computer. If you are not going to sell your maps you can have Profantasy Software installed on up to 3 computers. So for business', e.g. publishers employing multiple people to do cartography, each machine would need a separate copy of the software, i.e. it's own licence.

I would love to have the software on multiple computers but, as I do commissions as well as personal stuff, that would violate the EULA.