[CC3+] Problem with manual tutorial (symbol manager)

I just got CC3+ with the Humble Bundle and I have been having issues with many of the tutorials as I have worked through the manual. I have more or less muddled through the others, but I am stuck on the Symbol Manager tutorial. The manual is very helpful overall but the tutorials are full of minor issues and glitches (it also has quite a few minor grammar and spelling issues). Perhaps it wasn't edited for the new version?

According to the tutorial I am supposed to click the "x" in the editing window after making my sample circle. I get an error when I do this saying I can't close the only window. I saved and re-opened, but the circle isn't showing up in the symbol manager and I still can't close the window.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Matt

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

When you use click New from the symbol manager and give it a name, you should be getting a new window to draw your symbol in, size defined by where you clicked inside the view window to place the corners. This window should be closable.

The error message you describe happens when you try to close the main drawing window.

It is also important that you draw your new symbol inside that new window, if you draw it in the main drawing window, it will just be a shape in the drawing, and not a new symbol.

From your description, it sounds like you may not be getting this new window? Make sure when you place the corners for it during step 3 in the tutorial that you click inside the drawing area itself, the reference to bottom/top corner means inside the drawing area, not on top of scrollbars/title bar/etc. When your cursor is in a legal position, you should have a crosshair cursor, and the command line should also inform you that it needs window corners.

Hope this helps, if not, don't hesitate to ask for more clarification.

I'll also be happy to be informed of any mistakes you find in the manual so I can investigate and correct them where needed.

ubai
  • edited November 2021

Does this forum support animated GIFs? (EDIT: No, it does not)

I captured an animated GIF to illustrate what Monsen explained. This is what you should be seeing...

https://imgur.com/Dq8s2G2

MonsenLoopysueubai
  • ubaiubai Newcomer

Thanks very much for the help, I did indeed miss the steps you pointed out. :)

roflo1