Paths the should be smoothed are sometimes not

Hello All,

I'm very much a learner here; I keep trying to get into CC3+, bouncing off it then coming back for another attempt. Recently I uninstalled my programmes in an attempt to 'clean up' my install.

Now noodling around with map-making, a frustrating issue has arisen.

On a quite random basis, drawing tools that should draw smoothed paths are drawing unsmoothed lines i.e. straight lines between the nodes. This may be specific to the Pete Fenlon revisited style. Often, if I try to draw a river using the default tool i.e. just left clicking the Default River button, I end up with a line with acute corners. Then at other times in a new map, exactly the same clicks produce a nice curved river! The command line and tool tip show 'smooth path: first point' but the resultant line is not smoothed. The problem is most reproducible with the Terrain Ridge tool, which is never smoothed!

Testing continues and, as yet, this doesn't seem to happen with other styles.

Have I messed something up with my re-install? I'm finding this rather frustrating and I fear I'm about to bounce off the learning curve again.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I have been trying to reproduce this issue, but failed so far after 20 minutes of trying. It isn't something I've come across before, either.

I recommend contacting Tech Support through your account page before you go and do another reinstall, to see if there is something faster and more simple that you can try first.

• @Loopysue thanks very much for the quick response.

It is an odd thing. I take it you mean you find the Pete Fenlon Revisited style is working as expected for you?

In terms of Tech Support vs Re-install, I only have CC3+ and this year's annual installed at the moment, so it's not going to take much time to reinstall. Also, during the installation there was a bit of a hiccough where the installer seemed to have crashed, stopped reporting progress, but then completed. In addition, with only CC3+ installed I have DD3 and CD3 icons showing, so I wonder if there was a problem with my attempt at uninstallation. I tend to thing therefore that its my setup that has gone awry.

Again, thanks for your efforts and I'll report back if I find anything that anyone else might find useful.

Loopysue
    edited November 2021

Make sure that you have the latest update installed as well (update 25), after you have installed the main app and the annual.

Don't confuse the update with the beta upgrade. If you have installed the beta upgrade that might explain any problems you are having that I can't replicate. I have to work without the beta upgrade because I am making new styles for everyone, and not everyone has the beta upgrade installed.

• Hmmm.

My new install is with 3.94 freshly downloaded, and the notes in the download section say "This update (#25), is only necessary if you have CC3+ version 3.93 or less" so I didn't download and install the update.

Sorry, but you have left me a little confused.

Oh is it? Well then I'm wrong.

Having done my last installation job over a year ago when I got a new PC I hadn't realised the current situation. It wouldn't have done any harm if you had installed it, since the reason such messages are given is if the current app installer has allready been updated according to the latest update.

The other thing that people sometimes forget is that when an installer wants to open CC3 at the end of the installation process, this should always be allowed to happen. A few unusual things have happened as a result of people refusing to allow the installer to open the app.

• Yes, I see that there is a prominent FAQ to that effect under the Tech Support tab.

I believe I did do that.

I'm starting to suspect that the problem was with my un-install, on which I can't find much clear information.

I should have just left it be, shouldn't I? 🙄

I am sure that Tech Support will be able to help you with it. They know a lot more than I do ;)

edited November 2021

I was in a rush earlier, so here are a couple of answers:

Yes, the Pete Fenlon revisited style was working fine for me, and I believe the DD3 and CD3 icons are installed as a way of giving you fast access to the dungeon and city tools on the tops of the toolbars on the left - drawing rooms and walls, or using the House and Street tools depending on what you are doing. Although you only have CC3, you do also have built in Dungeon and City styles that you can use.

Venefice
  • Great advice @Loopysue. Thanks. Tech support (Ralf himself, in fact) responded with amazing speed. The problem I reported in this thread seems to have been fixed by applying the latest update (to 2.96). Maybe you didn't see the same problem I did because you had installed that update that was still designated beta at that time (?).

Some other issues with Pete Fenlon Revisited that came to light as part of the tech support conversation are now working as intended (I believe it's had a couple of tweeks).

I have to say the speed and helpfulness in this forum and by @Ralf have been amazing!

Many thanks both.

LoopysueJimP

You're welcome :)

We have the best Tech Support I've ever known. That's for sure ;)