Why Do Sheet Effects Not 'Stack'?

VeneficeVenefice Newcomer

Hello Mappers,

Using the Pete Fenlon Revisited style I'm making a large scale map for my players. I'm sketching out where the hills and the mountains are going to be using the Terrain Mountain tool using the default colour for the hills and a darker colour (using Terrain Variable) for where the mountains will be. These go on the Terrain Mountains sheet, whose sheet effect is an inner glow.

So what happens if I have a large area that is going to be hills, with a smaller area completely within it that is going to be mountains? Well, it turns out that the smaller, darker, inside area, does not have the sheet effect applied. I type 'effectson' and the darker area continues to have a sharp edge.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Please can you show us a screen shot? It's a bit difficult imagining the effect :)

Venefice
  • edited November 2021
    For the effects to stack, you sometimes need to add an extra sheet (with the same effects).

This is because CC3 treats overlapping areas on a single sheet as one "item" when generating the sheet effects. So if your hills and mountains are on the same terrain sheet, they'll get the effects run on them once. So perhaps you need a Terrain Hills sheet adding above the Terrain Mountains sheet on the list (so it's drawn first).

As Sue says though, it's better to include a screenshot, so we can see what effect you don't like.
    Venefice
  • @Loopysue Indeed, there is probably a famous aphorism about the picture/word ratio.😉

So here are my 'stacked' entities

And here is my 'unexpected' outcome when I type effectson

But as @Raiko has pointed out, thinking of them as 'stacked' is wrong, they are really in a special version of 'overlapped'. And if you think of them as 'overlapped' it makes sense. You would want the program to regard 'overlapped' entities on the same sheet to have a common outline to which the sheet effect is applied.

Loopysue
  • Here is the awesome effect I was expecting (!) with the two entities on separate sheets.

Thanks both for your help!

I'm sure I will be back with more questions 

😀

Raikoroflo1
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Thank you Venefice :)

I was thinking on a different planet when I read your initial question, so I didn't realise what you were talking about, but it looks like Raiko understood and helped you out.