Lights & live mapping on 11/Nov/2021

I've never had much success with lighting maps, so when this week's Live Mapping (11/November/'21) was on lighting I thought I'd follow the recording. I got to 6.56 mins in but then things went pear-shaped.

Despite pausing the recording to do what Ralf did, I can't reproduce the stages past the turning the map totally black. It's driving me nuts! I set up a floorplan but then switched to SS4 to do the lighting.

Here's a room made in DD3 - with the same result:

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

To get started with lights in your map

1. On the SYMBOLS sheet, deactivate the Wall Shadow, Directional effect, and set up a new Wall Shadow, Point Light Setup effect, with a shadow length of 2
    2. On the WALLS sheet, deactivate the Wall Shadow, Directional effect, and set up a new Wall Shadow, Point Light Setup effect, with a shadow length of 0
    3. For this particular map, there are no other sheets that should cast shadows after this, so also add a Wall Shadow, Point Light Finalize on the WALLS sheet.
    4. Right click Display Speed Settings and pick Global Sun. Set the transparency of the shadows to either 0 or 10% to get nice dark shadows.

You may want to edit that light of yours to have a bigger radius if you desire more illumination. Use Numeric Edit on it to do that.

Loopysue[Deleted User]