Rise of the Runelords - Sandpoint Glassworks.

edited October 2021 in Show and Tell
I'm about to start running Paizo's "Rise of the Runelords" adventure path with my children, using Pathfinder Second Edition.

The campaign begins in the town of Sandpoint, and an important early encounter takes place in the Sandpoint Glassworks.

The map is complete, and I'll be printing a gridded copy to use on the tabletop (it'll fit - I checked! lol).

I need to create a map for the basement, and also for another nearby underground location, that is accessed via the basement, and I need to get both done by weekend. So I've not spent as long as I usually do messing with small details (probably a good thing). I've spent about two days working on the Glassworks map, which is faithful to the original published map.

I've also uploaded a higher resolution copy of the map (100px per square = 4100x3100px) to my gallery - click the image to be taken straight there.

EDIT: Fixed the link, which didn't go to the high-res map at first.
EDIT2: I forgot to add:
Outdoor textures and "nature symbols" are mainly from SS4 Dungeons of Schley, indoor textures are either SS4, or from the Jonathon Roberts Dungeons set.
Most other symbols are from Tom Cartos' Patreon, with a few from Forgotten Adventures. Doors and windows are all from Symbol Set 2B, which I seem to like a lot more than fancier doors and windows in other sets.
MonsenGlitch[Deleted User]DaltonSpenceLillhansWyvernjmabbott

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Great map :)

It would almost be worth turning the grid at an angle to match the diagonal nature of the building.

Raiko
  • Thanks Sue.

Yes, I've seen this map done before by someone who turned the grid, but I decided to just lay it out exactly how Paizo did - they do love diagonal rooms in their encounters!
    Loopysue
  • The grid looks like it matches the cardinals instead of the building, and north isn't pointed up. I for one applaud this thumbing of your nose at the commonplace!
    Raiko
  • My original game world, South was at the top. Now known as Old Crestar, mentioned, and should be linked, elsewhere on these forums.

Raiko
  • I did it as south at the top of the map as my players kept thinking of Crestar as a parallel Earth. It isn't.

Raiko
  • edited October 2021
    Ok, so I had a bit of an OCD attack I think, and had to tinker - I'm blaming Sue for this (joking!).
    This looks better, I think.

The dungeon that I need to sort out after the glassworks basement has an even more annoying diagonal section, so I thought I'd get some practice in with CC3's controls for rotating fills. I've not been mapping at all while I've been away from the forums, so I'm a little rusty.

DaltonSpenceLoopysue[Deleted User]roflo1GlitchAleDJimP
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I'm glad you did. It looks even better now :)

Raiko
  • A brief explanation with a map key on how the system works would be helpful. I look forward to the basement map. Since the glassworks is on a bluff there could be a hidden tunnel from it directly to the beach so they could "mine" the sand. Yes, I see the stairs but sand is heavy; carrying it up from the beach manually would be hard work.  I also want to see the furnaces that melt the sand (which should have a chimney for the smoke). 
    Raiko
  • Yes, I see the stairs but sand is heavy; carrying it up from the beach manually would be hard work. 

It is. According to my parents, one of the reasons to have children.

[Deleted User]LoopysuepdjRaikoGlitch
  • edited October 2021
    Not that much to look at, but very important for the adventure, this is the basement of the Sandpoint Glassworks.

The tunnel in the bottom corner leads to the next adventure location (still working on that). The bottom section was bricked off by the now deceased glassworks owner, and the villains have recently broken through the brick walls.

Again, drawn with a combination of Mike Schley and Jonathon Roberts textures, symbols from SS2B, SS4 and Tom Cartos.

A brief explanation with a map key on how the system works would be helpful. I look forward to the basement map. Since the glassworks is on a bluff there could be a hidden tunnel from it directly to the beach so they could "mine" the sand. Yes, I see the stairs but sand is heavy; carrying it up from the beach manually would be hard work.  I also want to see the furnaces that melt the sand (which should have a chimney for the smoke). 
    Hi Dalton, I appreciate the tips, but I'm just creating more detailed versions of the published adventure floorplans, in order to print out and use of the tabletop.

So I'm not adding a key to either map, as:
    a) It would hinder play, or give spoilers.
    b) I think adding such details to my reproduction of Paizo's original map, would breach their community use rules.
    c) I've already printed the map! ;)

Having said that, to answer your queries:
    The furnace is the orange glowing section in the middle of the map, or more specifically I guess the bit with the double doors at the NE end is the actual furnace part. The chimney exists on the roof - indeed it's a clue that the glassworks is operating, which helps tempt the players to investigate (they're looking for a missing person at the time).

I've no idea how realistic the furnace is, but I'm not really bothered, it's just a Pathfinder/D&D adventure and the main purpose of the furnace once the PCs are inside is if one of the goblin crew inside (hilariously slapstick little psychos that Paizo gobbos are) manages to grapple a PC.

Then they all chant, "Throw them in! Throw them in!" The nearest goblin opens the furnace door and others help to try and carry the PC to the door. Very unlikely to succeed, but definitely a memorable moment for 1st or 2nd level adventurers.

There's no tunnel to that beach, so either they carry the sand up the steps, or more likely fetch it by wagon to the double doors at the NE end of the glassworks.
    WyvernLoopysueMonsenroflo1DaltonSpenceGlitchJimPAleD
  • 6 days later
  • edited October 2021
    Glued together ready for this weekend's session. Printed without a grid, because all the action occurs inside, where the tiles will do the job.

I didn't quite have the best way to print out sussed out for the main floorplan - so there's a couple of white bits showing - the basement is better, thanks to having overlap it's got no white bits. Gluing together overlapping pieces is trickier though, so not sure how well it would actually go on a big map (the main floor printed on 18 sheets).

The kids will enjoy it anyway. :smile:

Loopysue[Deleted User]GlitchJimPGeorgeRicko HascheAleDLillhansroflo1
  • GlitchGlitch Surveyor

What time do we all come over for the game?

JimPRaiko[Deleted User]