WIP Crofton - Darklands Cities and Shassar Tutorials

Playing with info in the DD3 Battlemap tutorials that Shessar published (Cliffs, Streams & Contours) trying to get an embankment next to the stream. My thanks to LoopySue and Simon R. for lots of useful feedback.

Loopysue[Deleted User]WyvernMonsenJimPGlitchDaltonSpenceRalfCalibre

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited October 2021

It is a lovely map :)

One thing, though - with all the focus on the embankment, I think the effects on the SYMBOLS sheets with the trees and the houses have managed to get themselves switched off. It would look even better with the trees and the houses casting shadows.

I particularly like the way the river turned out - all credit to yourself there, since it was allready done when we saw it the first time.

Any chance of a slightly higher resolution render?

These are the settings I use when exporting a jpeg (of the non-rectangular section type). It gives a nice result without being too huge, and it crops to the map border all around, which gets rid of the white edge.

AleDEdEJimP
  • It looks nice, I like it!

I would try to move some of the cliffs (maybe the one on the bottom left of the map) below the water level (as the stones). That may give even more feeling of depth.

EdE
  • Once again, Sue, I really appreciate all of the coaching. I'll look at the effect sheet later and make needed changes. I do shut off certain effects but don't keep a rag list, but I am finding I may need to do that for maps in future. I'll try the JPEG export. The reason I use PNG's is because the VTT I load teh exported files ontodoesn't accomodate JPEG images for maps.

I will try a higher resolution export and post it, as well as a JPEG comparison. I noticed the png export brightened/lightend all of the features, the river actually looks better in the png rendering, at least to me.

The river is just a layering of the Road, default cobble patch, as the stream bed, Water Default, smooth (RGB matrix process effect turned off + transparency) and then the Water default, flow pattern. Plus a couple of contours. Frankly the tools/styles/fills you created with this particular style are really versatile. Have you considered a dungeon design 3 version of Darklands to complement the overland and cities styles?

• AleD,

Excellent suggestion, I'll give it a shot.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Thank you, EdE :)

No plans for a Darklands Dungeon just yet, but that's not to say it will never happen.

I haven't heard of a VTT that won't take jpg before, but that would explain why there are so many low res maps available out there. Even if you have to keep it small for that reason, add some antialiasing to smooth the image a bit like I have. The same settings will work if you only give it 1500 px x 1500 px, which should be ok for a VTT.

EdE
  • @Loopysue commented: "No plans for a Darklands Dungeon just yet, but that's not to say it will never happen."

Overland, Cities and Dungeons are the three key planks for CC3+ mapping though, and it has been mentioned here now, so... 😎

JimPMonsenGlitchEdE