Darklands City Style Question

Been a few weeks since I was last here but I was delighted to se the Darklands City style on my return. I do have a question though. How does one add a small island in the midst of a river using the style? Everything I have tried has resulted in the "island" popping under the river despite changing sheets and layers.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

There's a Color Key sheet effect on the WATER sheet.

If you pick the majenta colour (6), make sure the fill style is Solid, and the active sheet is WATER, you can use the tools on the right to draw the island.

There should perhaps have been an island drawing tool, but I think it got overlooked at the time. I will see if I can make sure it gets included in part 2.

pkfryeJimP
  • I think I have answered my own question, I restarted my map using the water background instead of land, then added land forms leaving space for the river and island. It just seemed counter intuitive to me but, then again, we all visualize things differently and I am certain that this method provides the most flexibility in the template.

• @Loopysue Thanks Sue, yet another thing I didn't consider :-) This is such a feature rich program.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

It's always a question of whether to design a template based on older templates, or to change the design in a way that better suits the style.

In the case of Darklands City it was easier to put the effects on the water generally, with the added bonus that you can run terrain under a river and not have to have a sandy beach the same width all the way around.

But if you prefer to swap things around to suit your map better, that's fine too :)

JimP