WIP Kilmead Fork

A small farming community that is having an issue with the local wise woman. She's blighting their fields unless thay meet her demands. Using the Darklands City Style (thanks Sue!) this time. Is the blighted field on the right hand side believable?

Cheers

Ed

LoopysueDaltonSpenceWyvernLillhansRalfCalibreGlitch

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

It looks blighted enough to me :)

Is that deliberate blighting, or just something that happened with the underlying grass textures?

EdE
  • edited September 2021

Hi Sue,

It's a build up of layers and effects. Base layer is a solid layer of Terrain Earth scorched (dark spots), A separate terrain sheet for the Earth layer, same Earth fill as the other fields but I played with the Colour Key and Saturation. I borrowed the water flow pattern with an inner sickly yellow glow and finally the Terrain Fields Ripe which is meant to make it looked ploughed instead gives it the mudcracking look. Various levels of edge fade inner and transparency on all layers as well.

I will admit, I have no idea why the black spots are showing through from the lowest layer but I like it...

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Nice work, Ede :)

I think the black spots showing through are something we call transparency acne. It's caused by incidental match between the colour of an underlying pixel and the current sheet, so something under the grass sheet is causing bits of it to 'drop out'. It's a weakness of the current rendering engine - one that we hope to put right in the future, but for now I have updated the fills of that style to try and prevent this from happening.

It might be ok on this map, but if you want to make it easier to prevent this kind of thing happening again in the future on other maps, where it might not be so desirable, you could try re-downloading the issue and reinstalling it to get the improved textures.

If you have already done that, then the TA is probably being caused by a sheet effect on the underlying sheets. At present there is no cure for that except a separation sheet. If you need one in the future, a separation sheet works a bit like carpet underlay, if you imagine the dead grass as the carpet. You create a new sheet underneath the dead grass, copy the dead grass polygon to the new sheet, turn the polygons on the new sheet to solid, colour number 227 using the Change Properties tool, and add a slightly larger edge fade inner effect to prevent it from showing around the edges of the dry grass.

EdE
  • Great blighted fields. Belongs in Old Blighty. 😏

• Thanks Sue. You have mentioned transparency acne posts on FB. It looks like I accidently found a way to use if as a feature instead of a laibility :-) .

Cheers

Loopysue
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

The problem with transparency acne (beyond the fact that it exists) is that it's unstable. Change the zoom or export resolution (even a little) and you get completely different acne.

LoopysueEdE[Deleted User]
  • So you're working on a transparency acne cream that'll solve it right now @jslayton, are you? 😁

Or will we still need electronic antibiotics?⚡️💊

Or just keep on squeezing through an intervening Sheet?🌋

[And you think searching symbols catalogues is bad; at least they tell you what the thing's meant to be...]

EdE
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

Fixing the transparency acne problems is still on my list of things to do, yes. At its root is a performance optimization in the core system that has to be addressed. It's probably less a performance optimization as such than a totally unanticipated use case for the original system that was enabled via some very clever programming (and not by me).

EdELoopysue
  • JS Layton, thanks for pointing that out, I had not noticed the changes in the location and number of acne spots as I zoomed in and out. I get why this is not a desirable feature but for this map, I think it serves the purpose. I'll follow Sue's advice and download the issue again and then follow her suggestion on a copy of the map to see what I can create..