CA169, not all vari-color symbols have square upper right ?

I was adding docks from CA169 to my CA177 Dark City map.

I changed the color on a building, and noticed some of the docks, walls, bridges, aqueducts, and ships changed to. But there is no vari-color square on the upper right of those that do change.

So, I guess this needs a fix.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Have you got a screen shot of what you mean, Jim?

• No. Some vari-color symbols do have the small upper right square, some don't.

Oh yes. I see what you mean.

I haven't expanded all the collections here, but I can see that the varicolour docks lack the little coloured square. Do they behave differently in any way?

I've just spoken briefly with Ralf, Jim. He says its because he didn't specifically label them as "Variclour symbols" in the Symbol Manager, but that they should work fine anyway.

• They do work okay. I was just startled.

Loopysue
  • There may be another minor glitch with this Fantasy Town Annual. I've been mapping with it on and off for a couple of weeks, and I've found that if I load a map in the style (just use one of the two samples that come with the issue to test), and then use any of the Zoom view commands, like Zoom Window or Zoom Extent, the entire Symbol Catalogue pane (left-hand column of symbol images) goes completely blank. If I then try to reopen the catalogue, it goes into the Program Files (x86) directory as default, not ProgramData. If I try to use the catalogue's left-hand button to view all the symbols in the map, the program crashes and closes down.

However, if on opening said file, and before doing anything else, I save the file, it's fine. I've got into the habit of doing this with my own files, as I've been using it so regularly lately, but Jim's post here reminded me that it could be something else about this issue that needs tweaking, in case it's not just me that's finding this.

Calibre
  • Yes, I too had this happen, but thought I was losing my mind.

Right, if you click anything else before a ZOOM tool, all is well; otherwise, the catalog vanishes.

Cal

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

@Wyvern , @Calibre This happens because of an extra blank line in the OnOpenMacro for the template. If you look at the command line after opening the map, but before doing anything else, it asks for a symbol catalog. This is obviously a bug with the style, I'll notify @Ralf so he can fix it.

CalibreWyvern
  • I was loading some symbols from the Fantasy Town Annual a few minutes ago, and the left hand symbol area went blank for me to.

I went to load a symbol set, and found myself in C:\Program Files(x86)\Profantasy\CC3Plus\ folder.

• Thanks very much Remy. Command line isn't my first thought on opening CC3+, I must admit, so I might not have thought it was anything unusual even if I'd noticed it.

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker

This should be fixed now in the Annual issue download.

Loopysue
  • Sorry Ralf, I've just reinstalled the new download for Fantasy Towns from the PF site, and it's still doing the same thing as before; no change to it that I can see unfortunately.

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker

Sorry, I wanted to double-check this today, but didn't get around to it until now. The upload should be fixed, th file dates look correct. You did start a new map, yes? The update won't fix existing maps of course.

Please try the attched template(s), replacing your existing ones. Does it work correclty then?

Loopysue
  • Hi @Ralf : Sorry, haven't been online for a day and a half.

No, my tests were all done using the existing sample maps that came with the Annual. I didn't realise the fix wouldn't work with existing maps. I've never done anything with macros at all, so just assumed once corrected, that would be fine all-round.

If it won't fix existing map problems, that's going to be difficult, as I've recently prepared about a dozen maps for the Community Atlas using this style and template, and presumably they'll need their OnOpenMacro correcting in some fashion.

I did try the two new FCT files you posted here, and they'll start new maps in the style OK, from a basic quick sample test, and even loading pre-existing files, the varicolor marker is now showing (to update the topic's title).

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Most settings in CC3+ maps are contained in the map itself. This has the advantage of being able to customize these in the map without risk messing up global settings, but the downside is that fixes that address errors in templates will always just affect new maps created from the template, and not existing ones.

Fixing the OnOpenMacro in existing maps to handle this particular problem is rather simple though. Just edit the map note, and you'll notice that there are two blank lines at the bottom instead of one. Just delete one of them.

• Thanks @Monsen - Sue said pretty much the same thing (but with helpful diagrams!) in a private message.

It would be worth doing this "officially" in the two sample maps that come with this issue now as well, I would say, in case someone uses one of those as a base for their own map, as they still hadn't been corrected when I last downloaded and checked this Annual issue.

• 4 months later
  • edited January 2022

Reopening this thread again, as I may have found another item with this Fantasy Town Annual (although it's possible it may be something that extends beyond it, as I haven't done any checking outside this one style).

I was trying to copy a selection of items from one CC3+ map into another yesterday, using the normal Ctrl+C (though actually using the drop-down menu command, as that was easier at the time for me). Selected everything I wanted, said "Do it", and then the program simply became unresponsive and didn't seem to want to come back at all. I accidentally left one version running for nearly 5 minutes like this, but it still hadn't become active again.

Experimenting, it turned out that what it wouldn't copy were fields drawn using any of the three Fields bitmaps that come with this Annual. Everything else - symbols, fills, drawn lines and polygons that didn't use these three fills, etc. - was fine.

I suspect it may be an issue with the way the fields are drawn using the Fields tool in this style, as they automatically align the field stripes to the first line drawn, without having to use something like the Angle By Edge polygon command (and also without adding the unnecessary shading in so doing in this case). If that's so, it may not be resolvable, but it could be something people might want to be aware of.

The workaround I used was simply trace-drawing the parts of the fields I needed instead using just a normal polygon with a solid fill, copying those across, and redrawing them with the Fields tool in the final map (changing the fill style alone doesn't retain the stripe direction using Fantasy Towns, unfortunately). I assumed there'd be a macro that runs with the Fantasy Towns field drawing tool which will still create problems even if you switch the fill style to something different (if copying the field required to a different Sheet first, say). Didn't check that though, so I stand to be corrected (though the fact the stripes don't align automatically this way when not using the tool strongly suggests it to be so)!

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited January 2022

Egad. I have used this Annual, never mind.