Looking for a rising sea level map

There is an amazing, interactive map at geology.com/sea-level-rise, that lets you set the amount of sea level rise (from 0-60 meters), and zoom in anywhere around the world to see the effect of that rise. This is exactly what I'm looking for, except that I would like to see much more than a 60 meter rise.

I'm curious how far the sea level would have to rise for the continents to become unrecognizable. I think such a map would be a wonderful addition to a post-apocalyptic campaign.

Anyone know of such a map?

Comments

• I'm not sure of something like that but you might be able to re-create the effect and track it using Fractal Terrains, but I'm not completely sure. I guess you could always ask J.Slayton if the program can do that.
  • Posted By: tonnichiwaI'm not sure of something like that but you might be able to re-create the effect and track it using Fractal Terrains, but I'm not completely sure. I guess you could always ask J.Slayton if the program can do that.
    Doh! I don't know why I didn't think of that. Yes, FT3 does have the ability to raise/lower sea level and having the map in FT3/CC3+ would be far better than what I was looking for. Thanks for putting me on track!

Now I just need to locate a high rez data map for earth to put into FT3.
  • edited May 2016
    You're welcome, glad I could help. You might want to try Google Earth or some ecology website.
  • 5 years later
  • AlbavarAlbavar Newcomer

Sorry for the thread necro, but HOW? I've been digging around off and on for months and cannot find how to adjust sea level in fractal terrains on a point value generated map. I'm trying to use the map of Mars and would like to play with the hydrographic percentage or shift sea level away from the nominal 0 level in the data. I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Tools -> Global Raise -> Water Level will rise the water level by the specified amount. Works fine on the mola2x2a Mars data if that is what you are using.

Albavar
  • AlbavarAlbavar Newcomer

It is what I'm using. Thanks so much.

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker

If you're using a binary file as the data source, you'll need to use Tools>>Actions>>Burn In To Surface in order to get editing tools like raise or lower land to work. It copies the binary data to the Offset channel at the current editing resolution, so you may lose editing resolution when doing this step. On the plus side (maybe), you'll get data interpolation and no longer have a reliance on any external data files because the information will be contained in the FTW file.