What are your favourite style from an annual?

What it says on the tin: What is your favourite style from an annual, and why?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Favourite? It depends on the day, and what I want to map. I like all of them for different reasons :)

• Difficult to say. I mostly select one I think fits the prospective map.

• edited June 2021

There are a number of annual issues that are focused on tools and tutorials and I can see that profantasy is quite careful about these sorts of styles to avoid the argument that maybe they should be more like updates to the existing parts of the software (or openly shared knowledge) rather than expansion sets. I don't think they cross that line but I do tend to value those most.

• Spectrum for overland, Watabou for city, Local regional maps for local regional areas, but for buildings and dungeons, I don't have any favourite annual style, just DD4/SS4, and CSUAC/Dundjinni archives.

having said all that, I use Mix Schley and Jon Roberts for large overland, solid colours for world maps, and mix SS5 and CD3 Bitmap A for cities/towns.

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

I've always loved the very first issue, the Mercator Historical one (which also got a refresh in a more recent issue). It's not the style I use most, because it doesn't fit all type of maps, but I just love the visual style of it.

But to me, it is the diversity of the styles that is the important thing with CC3+, not having one "best" style.

• edited June 2021

I agree with Monsen, on both counts - Mercator Historical was THE reason I bought the first Annual, and diversity of options for everything else (as well as thinking beyond simply mapping styles sometimes, in discussions of mapping tools, for instance).

Something I wanted to do, and which remains in-progress, is trying out different styles from the main programs and the Annuals in preparing maps both for myself and especially the Community Atlas project. It's easy to fall into a pattern of familiarity with styles that feel comfortable, and not look beyond those, which is something I'd prefer to avoid. Luckily, the options in the Annual issues provide a large pool of options to explore ?

JimP
  • i have so many preferences depending on what I'm hoping to achieve. However, one style I really love, and it is rarely seen is the Myrr Overland - I love the look of that style.

JimP