Rolling Hills of Maynor

Out on the plains is a grouping of hills surrounding a small weathered gravestone. The name on the grave is too weathered to confirm whether Maynor is buried here, and locals have many different stories about how the hills got their name, known as the Hills of Maynor. Next to this gravestone are an enchanted sword and shield. It is thought the random wanderer might carry them for a while and then either return them, or the weapons somehow find their way back on their own. The fact that nobody has explained why they have returned the weaponry causes the locals to believe that they are cursed to cause death to the ones who take them, after which they magically return to their rightful place. Nobody has been brave enough to disprove this theory.

Tagged:
LoopysueTheschabiRalfMonsenjmabbott[Deleted User]Calibremike robelNumberSix

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer

Nice. I think your hills came out pretty well.

DoubleDoublejmabbott
  • edited May 2021

I am pretty happy with them as well.

My first attempts were using the drop shadow effect and the lighted-bevel effects, but it seemed like the drop shadow was bleeding into weird places between layers and creating random darker spots when I did the final render, though it did not do this while working with it.

So I took out the drop shadow and reworked it using a combination of things. There is a lighted bevel, a dark outer glow effect to create the feeling of depth around the base of the hills, a short inner glow effect to create the sense of gradually darkening hill sides, and a couple well placed smooth polygons with a low opacity to manually add some slight shadowing in specific areas.

I had a couple "seams" that were then hidden with varying up the textures a bit on top of them ? It seemed like the inner fade effect wasn't interacting well in some circumstances with all the glows and opacity effects.

Loopysue
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

I was convinced you had used a bit of post processing in PS or some other app.

Impressive! :)

• Now this would look good for the Bree and the Barrow Downs area I'm trying to do.

Cal