How Do I Precisely Match A Grid?

I have a hex grid overlay that I established and scaled early on with my drawing. The grid I had created had finite limits (I would have used infinite limits if there was a way to do that to avoid this very question), and I have come to an edge where I need to extend the hex grid pattern. My primary question is how do I get another grid placed precisely/exactly beside the existing grid? I used Attach and Snap to attempt copying and pasting the exact placement, but these do not appear to do what I am needing.

Perhaps there are different approaches to get a grid pattern without limits to begin with?

Best Answer

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

To start with the last question, no, you cannot get an endless grid. In CC3+, a grid is an entity, not just a display thing, and an entity needs proper coordinates to compute the lines.

I would probably just erase the old grid and draw a new one. As long as you create a new grid with the same grid size as the old one, it will fit perfectly. Use the select points option in the grid dialog to size it to your needs instead of filling the drawing area, and place the first point at 0,0

choppinltDaishoChikaraLoopysue

Answers

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Accepted Answer

To start with the last question, no, you cannot get an endless grid. In CC3+, a grid is an entity, not just a display thing, and an entity needs proper coordinates to compute the lines.

I would probably just erase the old grid and draw a new one. As long as you create a new grid with the same grid size as the old one, it will fit perfectly. Use the select points option in the grid dialog to size it to your needs instead of filling the drawing area, and place the first point at 0,0

choppinltDaishoChikaraLoopysue
  • choppinltchoppinlt Traveler

Thanks that sums it up quite well! It's good to know that the grid dimensions can be specified to greater limits than what I originally created.

OK, I am having an issue with the grid. Here is a zoomed out view capturing the issue. The smaller block is what I originally drew. Comparing it to the larger block I can see that the grid did not fill in the entire selected area for either one. Another interesting obeservation is that the black areas are probably about the same area, which makes me wonder if I have hit some sort of software limitation? Or is there a setting I need to be aware of?

• Do you have snap on ( lower right button).

Are the sizes of your grid too big ?

as an example: if you have a 1000 foot wide map, the grid should be a hundred feet, or two hundred, or smaller.

I accidentaly made a grid of 2000 feet on a one mile wide map. I changed it to 500 feet. Looked much better.

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer

Can we see a copy of the FCW file?

edited May 2021

Snap was not on, and grid sizes are quite small. In fact that is why they look black in picture, because I zoomed way out. The picture shows the selection area of where I wanted the grid to go (the rectangular boxes), but the black areas in each box show the limits of where the grid actually went. It appears I hit some sort of limit, but I don't know....

Hi @Loopysue, how do I do that? It tells me that the max file size is 3 MB.

Oh my! Most FCW files are under 2MB.

How big is this map? By that I mean what are the map unit dimensions, and how many grid squares are you creating?

It's pretty big...the file size is over 11 MB, LOL. I have a couple of large jpegs I am using as a template which probably over inflates the size. As for map dimensions....I approximate 790,000 hexes....

I think this may be the issue here.

How about making your hexes about 500 times larger than they are and extracting a series of regional maps from this one big one to add the relevant details?

I'm not sure how many hexes in a hex grid CC3 will reasonably support in a single map, but I'm pretty sure that is way too many right now.

JimP

I would need to go the other way, keep the grid size the same and just make smaller map sections. But yes, it certainly appears I have hit some sort of software limit. I guess I was just looking for official confirmation this was the case, and any guidance on what the limits may be. Thanks!